Friday, July 21, 2006

A Growler of Nitro, Please


Don't know the difference between a pilsner and a porter, nor a lager and a light. That may change tonight. Wife Wendy and I have tickets to the Ninth Annual Summer Beer Festival in Ypsilanti where we can sample from 200 microbrews served up by a few dozen assorted Michigan brewers.

I'm taking tonight as a learning experience. Maybe I'm inspired by my son Scott who is taking an on-line class at Michigan State University this summer. It is supposed to be a hot one today too, which will be conducive to my education in ale.

They just published a menu of available brews to sample. Hmmmmm, let's check this out. What would pique your interest here? Nitro, Final Absolution, When Monks Get Drunk, Beernormous, Bad Habit, Kiss My Scottish Ale, Blue Goat, Dragon's Milk, Terminator Dopplebock, Nicie Spicie, Ghettoblaster, Strange Stout, Devil Dancer, Earl Spit, Clockwork Orange, Prometheum Porter . . .

Gee, maybe I should have checked the list out before I shelled out $50 for two tickets.

Last week, in order to prepare for tonight's lesson, Wendy and I visited the recently opened Corner Brewery in Ypsilanti. They serve fresh locally developed brews by the glass, mug and the growler. Yes, growler. This is a large glass jug which customers give to the barkeep to fill to the tippy top from the tap for the tippler. (Wonder if I’ll be able to say that three times really fast later tonight)

Before last week, I didn't even know what a growler was. Now I do. See how educational this all is?

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"tippy top from the tap"? Heck, I can hardly say it fast and I have only been drinking diet Pepsi.

This sounds like a wonderful educational adventure. Hmmm "my son the beer expert sounds pretty good". Maybe, I will have to send one of my fun-loving guys to the Beer Festival

Have a great time.

11:49 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Practing for the event at a Brewery? I am in to the WRONG contests! ~ jb///

2:41 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Earl Spit? To drink? Why not? Good luck, Big D.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

When Monks Get Drunk sounds interesting. Try that one! So is Wendy going to take a giant stroller to push you around in later in the day? After drinking all that beer she may need one! This sounds like a Homer Simpson dream!

12:33 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Since I don't drink, all of that is over my head. Have a good time and don't get drunk. I can just see the enforcer or "Dad" coming to get you out of jail....No let's not do that.

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You wouldnt want to have the "enforcer" come down there to bail you out now would you? Or "Dad" either for that matter! I think that lucy stern has the right idea stay safe enjoy yourself on the outing.

8:26 PM  
Blogger poopie said...

Sounds like my kind of fun :)

9:13 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Wine is my drink of choice, but the festival sounds like a blast! Hope you had a great time.
:o)

10:44 AM  
Blogger Nankin said...

Hope you had agreat time. I'm about as ignorant of "beer" as you can get.

2:46 PM  
Blogger bornfool said...

Well, how was it? I think I'd have to start with a growler of Dragon's Milk.

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not important to know a lot about beer, and even novices can enjoy it. I hope it's really cold beer, because that's the best. They really come up with some funny names for those microbrews, don't they!

7:36 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Maybe a growler of final absolution followed by a few glasses of nitro for the big crescendo, a town called Ypsilanti sounds perfect for the occasion, even sober no one could pronounce it, the inebreated efforts should be really good.

5:50 AM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Well, it's now Monday morning. How'd that work out for you? How was Saturday morning? Did you feel and act like a "growler"? LOL

Mr Pop would have been in his glory at an event like that.

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home