Friday, June 23, 2006

The Enforcer Is Watching


My mother sent me some old photographs for my birthday last month. They included the above black-and- white. That's me on the right with my younger brother seated next to me.

If you read the comments here you might find an occasional comment from "the enforcer." That's my brother. So now you can put a face with that handle. But he doesn't look so tough here, does he.

In fact, my mother tells the story of how we both got tattoos (the water soluble transfer variety) when we were about this age. Being the older more worldly brother, I already knew something of higher mathemathetics and statistical probability.

So I said we couldn't both have tattoos. It was impossible. To make it right, I re-dubbed my brother's a tat-one. And from what I understand, he went along with it. I was the older, wiser brother afterall.

These days I probably couldn't get my way with him, certainly not with him playing competitive basketball and pumping iron. Meanwhile, I get a workout just trying to measure my waistline.

Another reason I envy him is that he can retire, though I believe the deadline for taking the offered buy-out with GM is today (Friday). I don't know if he's decided to do that. Maybe he doesn't know what to do if he retired. He could spend more time bonding with his grandchildren. That's something he has that I don't.

I think I may send the enforcer after my sons. Hea bro, my boys laughed at our clothes in the picture above. Hmmmmm, they do seem a bit "early refugee" in style. Maybe there's an ethnic explanation for our garb. Have to ask mom.

By the way, that Legs Inn restaurant there still stands 49 years after the above picture was taken. It's located at the northwestern tip of lower Michigan. Polish fare is their specialty, so you can dine on bigos, pierogi and kabanosy. My wife and I did so last summer.

17 Comments:

Blogger Nankin said...

What a great picture. You guys were just too sweet.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Awww how adorable!!!

6:57 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

You all look so cute!

8:14 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Some of those early photos can be a bit incriminating Dave, there goes any tough guy reputation you may have had.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

Love the picture, would hate the food. Don't they serve hamburgers?

5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mouth is watering at your mention of Polish food. A dear friend from childhood was from Hamtramck; Michelle Makarski is now a world famous violinist.

On other matters:
Your poetry analyzation
Went down the wrong hatch.
If SPARTANS choke come autumn,
May I borrow a match?

11:38 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Is that "decoration" you and your brother are adorning still there? And the totems? And the beer?

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's quite a picture! What else did mom send?

Cute little devils, you two!

11:11 AM  
Blogger bornfool said...

Cool picture, Dave. I hope you share some more of them. (I'm the older, wiser brother, too.)

2:09 PM  
Blogger Moby Dick said...

You look like The Little Rascals (Our Gang). Cool!

3:10 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Thanks for the support Dave, it just wasn't to be this trip, I do think the penalty was a bit controversial, I believe the Italian tripped himself after the challenge.
We did have a lot of time with a man up however and couldn't nail it, an exciting game!!

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder why wiser older brother let mom put those funny clothes on us. yes I am signed up to retire at the end of the year.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those old photos. You two look soooo cute. Good for you boys for sharing your tatoos and happy retirement, Mr. Enforcer! Enjoy life!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Now Dave, look at the picture of the two of you. I can see why he is called the enforcer, with that stern face and sitting up straight. I think the clothes are cute for that day and time.

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the picture. How nice of your Mom to pass them along.

Cas
I'd be interested to know if your brother took the package. Our company offers them. They're usually a pretty good deal.

5:12 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

You could probably still claim "manliness" if it were just the clothes... but frankly, the hats make it impossible... sorry Dave. ;-)

5:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photo and did you say pierogi's? I'm drooling. My Babci made the best pierogi's.
I just might have to make a trip up there to that restaurant.
Actually, I plan to do some research on the Upper Peninsula...I've heard so much about it and have always wanted to visit there.

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home