Friday, June 30, 2006

How To Manage Stress

UPDATE: Here are the text answers to that question posed below--how to manage stress.

1. Exercise
2. Creating a calmer environment
3. Humor/Laughter (that's why I make sure I visit Hoss every day)
4. Pets
5. Just get away! (Deep breathing, meditation, a hobby, reading, taking a bath)


Though sex and yoga weren't mentioned specifically, both probably fall under the "deep breathing" category.
***********************************************************


I blogged earlier about the tiff I had with my doctor over his treatment plan for my diabetes. His answer--as it usually is with anything--was drugs, drugs and more drugs. Meanwhile, I favored a more natural healing approach. Anyway, we had words there in the office which were probably loud and strong enough to startle the pharmaceutical sales representatives sitting in the waiting room next door.

My punishment for that uprising was to be referred to a diabetes education program. That was okay. I've already done two such courses. What's one more. But now it's over. My last class was this week. What was the upshot of my learning?

1. Drugs are good
2. Your doctor is god

Not that the four 2 1/2-hour classes were a waste of time. On the contrary, they were full of useful and fascinating information on nutrition, physiology and the effects of various medications. The nurse and the nutritionist who taught the classes did so without preaching nor using scare tactics.

Whether their message got through loud and clear to all of us is another matter. I mean, our last class was this week. By now, we should be all eating healthy, thinking healthy, living healthy. Right? So the program coordinator asks us how we plan to deal with stress, as stress can worsen the effects of diabetes.

"Have a smoke," this one middle-aged gentleman called out.

Not the answer the instructor was looking for. But rather than lecture on the evils of smoking, she commented that it was the deep breathing that smokers do when they inhale the cigarette that relaxes the smoker, rather than any drugs contained in the cigarette. So she asked for another stress reducer.

"Have a couple drinks," the same responder opined.

Again, not the right answer. The teacher explained that, though the initial dose of alcohol might have a relaxing effect, too much drinking can lead to depression, which is as bad as or worse than stress.

So, anyone out there think they have a right answer? And, no, yoga isn't one of the answers listed in the text we received.

22 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Sex is a good stress reliever... I'm just saying! So is riding a high performance motorcycle. Either of those in your text?

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course yoga isn't in the text; there is very little awareness and understanding on exactly how yoga heals in the medical communities. The key is to understand the relationships between stress, yoga, and disease. Yoga’s effectiveness at preventing and treating diabetes is due to its emphasis of a healthy diet and lifestyle as well as its ability to balance the endocrine system, massage and tone the abdominal organs, stimulate the nervous and circulatory systems, and reduce stress. http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yoga-and-health/yoga-for-obesity-and-diabetes.asp

Getting behind a winning team might also help. Paul, Shannon, Mo ~ Go SPARTANS GO!

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think excercise....

12:42 PM  
Blogger bornfool said...

I ride a high performance motorcycle as michael mentioned. I would have to say if you are just out cruising that's pretty relaxing. If you're trying to get your money's worth out of the bike, that's stress inducing.
My answers would have been the same as the responder you mentioned. I know they're not the right answers, they're just how I respond.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

How about walking? I feel the stress slip away as I walk down my cactus-lined drive.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I go for Yoga and walking. You could also try oxycising. Check out www.oxycise.com It is a deep breathing program that I just love. It does work to tighten those adominal mucles and relax you. I will raise my arm and swear by it. Check it out Dave.

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about fishing.

4:58 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

If the book says anything but sex, throw it out.

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also have to agree with the yoga and walking or any kind of exercise. Also meditating.
Okay...Dave, so what did that text say?

10:04 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

I have several diabetic friends, and stress and extremes in temperature seem to throw them for a loop. My suggestions are simple common sense. Drink lots and lots of water. Walk regularly. Get a massage.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A nice, relaxing weekend - no heavy duty chores or functions to attend. Settles me right down. And of course, eating without guilt. There's lots of really good food that isn't bad for you.

3:21 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

I know! I know!

Find a new place to give yourself the shot.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Journaling. Writing. In other words, blogging! Duh!

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What does playing the saxophone have to do with yoga?

10:07 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

But I don't do Sundays. Rats. So I guess you're all stressed out today.

Damn diabetes.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Vickie said...

For just a minute I thought Beradette said sexaphone
guesss I really am streeed out and I so know sex does
relax me but I know that is not their answer.

Hurry I'm stressing what is the answer, this is a test :lol:

10:28 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

I--and My First Wife--know quite a bit about diabetes. We're on your side. The fewer drugs the better.

Best wishes.

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your answers. And I agree with your disagreement with your doctor. Drugs are NOT the answer to everything. You can manage your health without drugs. Maybe visit a naturopathic doctor. I don't know what that kind of doctor would tell you, but I don't think it would be drugs. I sometimes have higher than healthy blood pressure, but you know what always brings it down 100% of the time? It's NOT drugs. It's fluffing my dogs! My dogs are the cure for everything...

7:26 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Uhhhhh having sex with a saxaphonist (who loves to give massages) while riding a high performance motorcycle on your way to pick up your dog before your yoga class next door to the Naturopathic doctor who will see you on any day BUT Sunday?

Do I win?

Darn I'm stressed now~~Breathe.

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shame on me! HUGE animal lover that I am....how the heck did I miss "pets?"

5:52 AM  
Blogger Moby Dick said...

massage therapy and accupuncture are good? Meditation is the easiest, since you can do it almost anywhere at any time.

11:02 PM  
Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

Hey fella, I came over from Bornfool's blog. I say gardening is the best way to reduce strees. Just get some dirt under your finger nails, plant some tomatoes. It will do wonders for you psyche. My husband is a diabetic and I have him dig holes. It speeds up the metabolism and he doesn't have to use as much insulin.

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home