Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Meet The Swinger



The blog subject title doesn’t refer to some playboy type. It’s a tagline from a popular product from my youth. I can still recall the little jingle . . .

Meet the Swinger, Swinger
Poloroid Swinger, Swinger
Meet the Swinger, Swinger
Poloroid Swinger

Swing it up. It says “Yes” . . .um, actually that’s all I recall.

If you’re a member of my generation, you get it.

So the picture here was taken BY me with MY Swinger camera. Mmmmmmm, about 40 years ago. That’s the neighborhood gang. My older brother, the enforcer, is top row on the left, my sister is middle row right and my youngest bro’ is bottom left. My mother included this picture with the bunch sent to me for my birthday.

It was a fun bunch: kickball, baseball, ice skating at the fairgrounds, football, freeze tag, capture the flag, bike riding, jigsaw puzzles, collecting chestnuts, trading baseball cards, badminton, and just exploring the neighborhood.

Our idea of video entertainment, besides the Saturday morning cartoons, was going to the Sunday matinee at the local theatre. That was cool too because they often showed scary films like The Skull and The Vulture. It was during the showing of The Vulture that one of the local kids (not pictured) shouted out what I still believe to be the wittiest remark ever directed at the big screen.

It happened when this character in the movie stepped out at night onto the veranda. He lit a cigarette and checked his watch. Without warning, two huge talons dropped from above, grabbed the man at the shoulders and carried him off. Cut to the next day and the camera zooms in on a bloody, mangled arm dangling off an ocean cliff.

We know it’s the victim who was carried off the balcony because the arm still bears the same watch the man was checking the previous night. So this kid a couple seats down from me shouts out, “And his Timex watch is till ticking.” The theatre erupted in laughter.

If you’re a member of my generation, you get it.

17 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Ok, that's a pretty funny comment! Boy I sure wish I had some of the old photos I remember looking at in the family photo albums. Unfortunately I have *no* hard copy photos. I'll have to visit my sister sometime and see if I can liberate a few. Will the current digital photos be as special to my kids when they are grown? Dunno, that's going to be an interesting question for their generation to answer.

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great bunch of kiddos!

"It's more than a camera, it's almost alive, it's only 19 dollars and 95."

Scary movies reminds me to ask: Did you ever watch "Morgus Presents" on TV?

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave's Dad here,
Dave and the enforcer, if you look close, those are war bonnets on your head, and I asked your mother about the clothes, and she said they are sun suits,she would put T shirts on you guy's in the morning, and took them off when it got warm,that is why you had a suspender tan.
Dad

4:33 PM  
Blogger bornfool said...

Sadly, I remember both references.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Take a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. I went to the Saturday matinee's and it only cost me 50 cents. They had yo yo contests and all kinds of activities before the movie started. Mom would drop us off and dad would pick us up after the movie. We had a great time doing that.

Kids now days are too busy with their x-boxes, play stations, computer games and etc. They really don't get enough exercise and it's no wonder they are getting fat. We used to ride our bikes, skate board over at the school, play fort, and use our imaginations. Ahhhh....the good ole' days.

Love the picture, I have a few that look just like that.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

What a great photo. I take photo's of my son's gang like this so he'll be able to look at them in forty years too! We live in a small town and the boys around here skateboard and bike and get lots of exercise, so all is not lost on this generation.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Ahh, the good old days Dave.
BTW I did my best on your request for that story.

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucy Stern needs to watch herself with these comments here. There are plenty of healthy kids today. Sure some like their video games but I don't believe this generation is much different from any past generation. To add on to the health situation, whos to say this generation is more unhealthy when the latter was hooked on smoking and also unaware of various other unhealthy activities at the time? Riding bikes, skate boarding over at the school, playing fort, using their imaginations is a common thing now too. Not trying to start anything here, just helping you out.

6:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not the older wiser brother. I just talked to Wayne and Rod a couple of week's ago.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Great post Dave, and loved the picture. They still had th eTimex commercial around when I was a kid.

Remember the Charmin commercials?

"Don't squeeze the Charmin!" When I was little, I looked for Mr. Whipple in the grocery store I went to; of course I was disappointed.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Great post and isn't it great to get some "old" photos? I also loved
your goose story, what a hero !!
Glad you enjoyed your visit to my blog.
Everyone likes jokes, some like a "nice" story, etc- (can mean anything) so I try to please !!. Take care Dave, Merle.

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup...I sure DO remember that phrase about the Timex watches.
The photo, the kids, the background brought back memories of that time in my life. A time when we were actually OUTside playing....not like kids today. Glued to computers, video games, cell phones and all the high tech. I think they're missing a very important part of childhood that all of us were fortunate to have.

7:01 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Very funny. It took a lick and kept on ticking. So that was The Skull. What happened with the Vulture?

Chestnuts? I found a hickory nut when I went golfing with Tisha's husband. Does anybody collect hickory nuts?

10:42 AM  
Blogger amarkonmywall said...

No time to comment at length, but I got it! Be thinking world globes, finches, fishing gear, tools...

4:43 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

I get it. What a great picture. I wish I had one of my old neighborhood group - it would probably look just like this one. House included.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Alright "Dad", I didn't say all the kids were getting fat, but open your front door and look ourside and tell me how many kids you see playing in the front yard. Back in our day most all kids played outside. Now days you will see kids on soccer teams, baseball teams and doing other sports, but what is the majority of them doing. When I was young, we didn't eat a lot of burgers, fries and drink sodas. I suppose I was in my late teens when that started and that is when I started gaining a little weight. Sorry, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. See, even Teri agrees with me.....

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Lucy Stern. I see more overweight kids now than 10 or 15 years ago. It would be interesting to compare school photos from say 1940, 50, and on up to today. I think the facts would speak for themselves.

I remember the Swinger camera. It was great. I went off to live in Europe for awhile in the middle 60's and when I came back to the states, swinger had a whole new meaning.

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home