Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Crossing Over

Since I'm a bit paranoid of what and who are out on the internet, I've kept my cyberlife and my normal life separate. I remain mostly semi-anonymous--I don't use last names nor print any recognizeable pictures here.

This past weekend I did "cross over", sort of. One of my blogging buddies, Vicki from Ann Arbor, was having a big moving sale as she's picking up stakes and heading to Chicago. I thought I would drop over.

After some effort, wife Wendy and I found Vicki's house in the maze-like subdivision where she lived. It was a busy sale. Somebody was hauling away a refrigerator as we arrived. There were several other items marked "sold" that just needed to be picked up.

In fact, I got the feeling that much of her stash had already been spoken for. I didn't see any tools as had been advertised, so I gravitated towards the used books as there were plenty of them.

There were a few books on chess. During my college days, I fancied myself to be a budding master though I hardly rose above the rank of patzer. One book there I recognized as one I had read way back then. Hea, maybe some day I'll make a comeback. So I picked it up, along with another book on true ghost stories since I have a small collection of "strange but true" books as well.

Not sure if Vicki was among the yard sale workers or not. My guess is that among the three or four ladies who appeared to be bargaining with customers and taking money, she was the one without a smile. Moving is stressful, for sure.

If I was correct in my assumption, then it was Vicki who asked to see the books I had bought after I had paid for them. "What did you get? I like to see what people got," she said. So I showed her the books.

"Good thing we didn't buy The Joy of Sex," Wendy said later. "It was there." Oh, well. I doubt Vicki knew I was one of her customers, though she occasionally visits my blog here so she knows Big Dave. I didn't introduce myself since both Wendy and I are shy to a fault.

Flipping through the pages of my true ghost stories later, I came across a chilling tale on "The Chicago Poltergeist." Oh, no! I'll bet Vicki doesn't even know about this and she plans on moving to the Windy City soon. Should I e-mail her?

Mmmmmmmmm, guess not. With all that's going on in her life right now, I don't need to put more worries on her plate. Besides, there has to be consequences for moving away from the hometown of the mighty University of Michigan Wolverines. A good haunting might be in order.

16 Comments:

Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

She's not scared, Dave. She loaned me a book titled "White City," which is about the Chicago World's Fair and a serial killer of the worst kind. So I think she is prepared for the worst, which would be, of course, Northwestern.

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not scared, but you're right-not smiling. At least when you came by. I was SO hot and SO tired and fairly cranky after the early morning mayhem of "professionals" fighting in the street over who had dibs on what. But I DO remember asking you what you bought. I think I was eating leftover Chinese and looking haggard at the time. Those were all Abby's chess books and yes, Joy of Sex is not a book FG and I need; that was a 70's thing, thinking a book could be more informative than time and friendship. The good news is we sold enough to buy the new bed we've been wanting since we got married- now that will be JOY! Thanks for coming by, Dave- next time introduce yourself! (I come by more than occasionally-I like it here)

1:19 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

This is a cute story about two strangers trying to avoid meeting one another, but you kinda did.

Moving is one of those hellish life experiences that no one should have to face. Wait till she's all settled in and then share this with her when she can enjoy a good laugh.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Trucker Bob said...

I echo patricia's first paragraph, but shame on you for not introducing yourself.

All is not lost however, she seems to remember you.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I know how you feel. Believe it or not, I used to be very shy; still am in certain circumstances.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Well, you sorta met. Maybe next time you'll actually introduce yourself.

I'm with you, though. I'm a little more public with the pictures, but I'm not ready to meet any of my blog buddies, even though a few are local.

4:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having never been a shy person, I can't even imagine taking the time to go to a location and then not actively looking for the person to introduce myself.
I've met so many people over the years, via pen pals, forums at Bonjour Paris, etc. And recently, because I was in the area, I made plans to meet Thoroughly Modern Millie, a fellow blogger. I have to say, they've all been great experiences and only added to the initial phantom friendship.

5:31 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

I kind of like the Windy City... well except for the WIND! ~ jb///

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It probably wouldn't surprise you to learn that I have a big collection of true ghost stories too (although my husband claims that there is only one type of ghost story: fiction. He's no fun at all).

11:47 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hi Dave, the bloggers I have "met" have all been friends or family for many years, so I guess these don't count? there are a few others that I think I would like to meet, yourself included, but who knows how those meetings would turn out?

1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet you had second thought's for not introducing yourself to Vicky.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Sideways Chica said...

Dear Dave...nice story. Reminds me of when my mother came visiting and found the "naked cookbook" in one of my drawers. It was a gag gift from a friend from years earlier and I forgot I had it. My mother never mentioned it to me, even though I knew she saw it. I think she wanted me to know, as she left it on the top of the pile. ;)

Someday I might ask her about it...maybe she jotted down a recipe or two.

Ciao for now...

9:29 AM  
Blogger Moby Dick said...

People sell some interesting things at yard sales. I saw some child's trophies from school and karate competitions at a yard sale. It seemed a bit cold for anyone to sell the highlights of a kid's youth.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Dave, you should have introduced yourself to Vicki. I would have been mad if you hadn't introduced yourself to me. I would love to meet you and Wendy. Have fun reading your new books.

8:29 PM  
Blogger poopie said...

I can't believe you didn't tell her who you were! Lurker ;)

9:15 AM  
Blogger KinnicChick said...

:) Having met the venerable Vicki in the flesh last summer in Grand Marais I can tell you she would have adored meeting you. Not as in she would have fallen all over you and gotten sloppy with her affections or anything like that. She is very understated in her adoration type of lady. The coolest type of cat.

As a first-class introvert, I was pretty nervous heading up there to meet three fellow bloggers with whom until then I had never had face-time. (correction - I had briefly met one of them for 30 minutes or so in a parking lot a month prior) Which probably led to the raiging migraine that took over my life that first evening (and the one and only evening Vicki and her family were there so I only got to have dinner with them and a spend a few minutes a short time prior).

But still - can't live your life with regrets, eh? You'll have another chance some day.

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home