Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pictures From Our Trip







Above are some of the usual iconic tourist stops we made.  There's Venus De Milo and Mona Lisa at the Louvre in Paris.  I also took a picture of the crowd around Di Vinci's best known work.  Our guide told us to use our elbows if necessary to get a picture.  There's also Stonehenge and the restored Cavern Club in Liverpool where the Beatles entertained some 50 years ago.









    During our tour of the Scottish highlands I learned that there's a free-to-roam law in Scotland that gives hikers permission to go anywhere they wish, even to cross private land so long as they don't do any damage.  Contrast that with all the 'keep out' signs you find in the U.S.  Seeing Loch Ness has been on my bucket list since I was in elementary school so I had to include a couple photos of the infamous lake including one of Castle Urquhart where the monster has been spotted in the past.  I brought a pair of binoculars to scan the loch myself but didn't see anything strange.





     I was looking forward to enjoying some traditional U.K. menu items.  On that menu pictured (from a cafe in Liverpool) I ordered the Lancashire breakfast which included black pudding that according to Wikipedia is a type of sausage made by cooking blood or dried blood with a filler until it is thick enough to congeal when cooled. That wasn't nearly as bad as it sounds and that's NOT what's on my plate pictured below the menu.  The pictured breakfast was served to me at a bed and breakfast in Inverness, Scotland.  That round black sausage there is haggis, also not as bad as I thought it would be.  There's also an interesting looking potato scone along with the sausage, scrambled eggs and field mushrooms.  But the host also gave me some Marmite to try.  My stomach still has nightmares.  If you're ever offered Marmite, just walk away.

    Funny story about that menu above.  My wife Wendy is not nearly as adventurous when it comes to trying unusual foods, so she thought she would play it safe and ordered the scrambled eggs on a toasted bagel.  She totally missed that it came with the item above it on the menu.







10 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

You'd be no good with our Vegemite then, Dave! Both it and Marmite are acquired tastes. The Poms are brought up on Marmite and us Aussies on Vegemite...so they are natural to our taste buds. I love Vegemite and am never without a jar of it in my pantry. It's what you're used to.

I thought I saw the monster there in the forefront left hand corner of the Loch! No! Silly me! That's you!!

Thanks for sharing the photos, Dave...they're great. Take good care.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

Wow, what a holiday!!

That plate of food looks yummy, but Marmite (I googled it) doesn't sound good to me, either. I'd probably give it a try, but I'm not afraid to stop at one bite, if need be.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LEE--The B&B host talked about a Spaniard who fell in love with Marmite and ate four packets every morning. They had to buy him his own jar. He obviously acquired the taste.

LYNILU--It didn't look good either. It had a very dark honey-like appearance. I should have known better. Once I took a bite, I put strawberry preserves on the toast to mollify the taste.

3:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bdd here, I'll have to see if I can find some marmite,I tried horse radish on all you young ones,(BTW I love the stuff)none of you ever liked it, I never seen so much gagging in my life, now tell me, is marmite worst than horse radish?

8:46 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

DAD--Horseradish isn't too bad if it's mixed with something to reduce the heat. With marmite, think of sharp salt-flavored jelly.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

love the photos Dave. looks like a wonderful and memorable trip. As for the food-I've heard blood sausage is quite tasty and on the same plain, that vegamite is as horrible as you described.

so happy you're posting again,.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--Part of a trip is sampling new cuisine, I've always felt. I know you guys did the same on your cruise. And I lost two pounds with all the walking, so it was all good.

Still not sure I'm going to be posting as regularly as I was. My computer is still balky as ever.

3:52 AM  
Blogger CAROLDEE said...

Took me awhile to get here but I surfaced.. LOVE these and BOY that is a lot of people to have to elbow through..sheesh you would think they would have a larger area to show things in. Neat shots and boy that breakfast makes me wonder what THEY would think of some of our breakfast treats like juevos rancheros.. hah!
Glad you had a wonderful time..Thanks for sharing your views!! :-)

9:34 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dike said...

Nice travelogue, Dave. Stonehenge rocks. But, that crowd is actually around Paolo Veronese's Wedding at Cana. Spartans know stuff! (Did you see the cellist - viola da gambist - in the right foreground?)

Speaking of black pudding, my blood is still boiling after last Saturday's game though this managed to cheer me up a bit.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CAROLDEE--I wonder too about the juevos rancheros. There wasn't much variety in the English breakfast fare. I can't even remember seeing omelets on the menu anywhere.

YOGA IN MIRRORMONT--We could have used you as a guide in the Louvre as well as throughout Paris as we found out what disadvantages a language barrier can produce.

That video's cute but your buddy Hitler saying that the Wolverines don't have any fantastic finishes--what about last week? Did you see that awesome field goal with less than ten seconds to go? A whole see of maize fans turning anything but blue while the Spartans turned their usual green.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home