Tuesday, April 10, 2012

When Baby Games Go Bad

Whenever I get any kind of upper respiratory infection, I have a nagging cough which can linger for weeks. It's annoying, more so for those around me since I get used to it after a while. Other's don't. Those others include my wife and my co-workers.

So if anyone has a surefire cough remedy out there, please let me know. My livelihood and marriage may depend on it.

But I'm not nearly as bad off as my son Greg who was injured this past Easter in a mishap I characterize as "when baby games go bad."

Seems that Greg was playing a game of peek-a-boo with his son Grant. Greg put his hands over his face, put his head next to Grant's, uncovered his face and called out, "Peek-a-boo!" Grant responded with a poke in the eye (didn't that happen in a Three Stooges short?).

It pretty much put Greg's eye out of commission. The following day he could barely open his eye and headed off to see the eye doctor. (I'm using the word "see" in a metaphorical sense). They diagnosed a scratch and irritated cornea and prescribed drops of various sorts.

Greg says the doctor reported that this type of eye injury is not that uncommon. Babies can have some sharp fingernails.

I asked Lindsay afterwards if Grant felt bad about what he did to his dad and she responded, "Not a bit." Hmmmmm, maybe Grant was saying to himself, "Peek-a-boo me, will ya."

Keeping this a little short as I've been planning a long weekend for Wendy and me. We're going to visit our son Scott in Washington DC and take in some sites nearby, maybe Colonial Williamsburg or Jamestown. The weather's supposed to be a good one for some sight-seeing . . . just so long as I don't play peek-a-boo with my grandson beforehand.

8 Comments:

Blogger Lynilu said...

Have you talked to your doctor about the cough? I do that also, thanks to a bad bout of bronchitis decades or so ago. I didn't think to ask, but after a recent ER visit during a crisis, the doc told me I should have had an inhaler all these years! duh. It does help a lot.

Have fun in DC!

5:46 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LYNILU--Gosh, I hope I don't ever have to go to the ER having trouble breathing. Maybe I just check out those rescue inhalers just in case. But I'm betting they don't sell them over the counter.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

oh no, the eye injury is common, heals fast, but is PAINFUL!!! when I wore contacs I went to the beach w/ them on and it was windy. the sand did the damage. it was awful. couldn't wear the contacs for over a week, felt as if someone cut my eyes w/ broken glass.

(( )) to your son. Sorry about the cough-it isn't fun, I'm sure. especially when the ribs start to kill

9:43 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--I'm not coughing that bad, comes in fits. At least I'm sleeping fine, though Wendy disagrees somewhat.

I never knew that sand could give you trouble with contacts. Where were your sunglasses? Maybe they wouldn't help though.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

they were on Dave, but the wind just blew the darned stuff right under them-and they were tight fitting too.

I knew better-but figured I'd be ok, stupidly.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--Well, I wouldn't have ever guessed that sand could do that to contacts.

4:10 AM  
Blogger Kacey said...

Coughs can come from all sorts of things....like colds, allergies, congestive heart failure, chemical irritants and so on. Go see a doctor! When my oldest daughter was a baby, her sharp little fingernails ripped a chunk out of my cornea. I was reading the newspaper on the floor and she tried to get my attention by trying to lift my head up so she could see my eyes and know I was paying attention to her. It wasn't bad for a few minutes, but it grew more painful by the minute. We went back and forth to the doctor for three days and finally he found a small flap of eye tissue moving about in the crater that kept it from healing. He grabbed a pair of tweezers and ripped it out and gave me some eyeball numbing drops and it healed up almost overnight. Your Greg should be healed up shortly, but looks like he needs eye goggles to play peek-a-boo from now on.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

KACEY--I hope they gave you those eyeball numbing drops BEFORE ripping that piece of your cornea out. I always get those numbing drops before they do that glaucoma test where they push that big scope (or whatever it is) and push on your eye. I just hate that.

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home