Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hoops Bracket Challenge!

I'll probably jinx myself blogging about this, but so be it.

Every year I contribute ten dollars to my nephew Vic's Superbowl board or his NCAA men's basketball challenge. Every year I lose. I've never been good at games of chance.

But this year I think I have a good chance going into this weekend's men's final. My NCAA bracket that I created didn't look too good at first but as the field of 64 teams got whittled down to 4, I ended up picking three of the Final Four teams.

That puts me in a tie for first place among 17 contestants. All I need is for Ohio State to beat Kansas on Saturday and the way I figure it, I should collect between one and two hundred dollars. It's hard for me to cheer on Michigan's arch-nemesis the Buckeyes, but if there's money involved, I'll do it.

I guess it helped that many of my nephew's friends and fellow contestants are fans of Michigan State, who fell earlier than expected. Some had bet on the Spartans to go all the way. I'm way ahead of them.

Ironically, I'm participating in another NCAA men's tourney bracket challenge mostly with immediate family and my Final Four there only gets me fifth place out of ten. One of the teams ahead of me is my dad, who reminded me of that when I called home this past weekend.

"Do you know what place I'm in?" my dad asked.

"I'm not sure. I just know I'm in fifth place but I don't--" I responded before my father interrupted.

"Third!" he said.

Bragging rights are important in these family competitions. I teased my nephew that he put his best bracket together for our ten-team family challenge even though there was no money involved. He's in first place in the family competition but his bracket with different winners picked is way out of the money in his own bracket challenge.

"Why did you put your best effort here (in the family competition), instead of your own money league? You'd probably be leading there with a better than decent shot at winning it all, " I pondered on the message board.

My nephew Vic responded, "We all know what league is most important. The money is not even close to having braggin' rights in the family."

Gee, if money is that unimportant to him, if I win I'll ask him to pitch in to round up the prize to the next hundred dollars.

5 Comments:

Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

we're not lucky in the game of chance either Dave. Steve did empty a slot machine once about 26 years ago! Used it to buy a new kitchen table. We're still using it now.
It's funny about winning and how we all look at it, always hoping we win, always hoping we don't jinx it by doing that hoping.
surprise in my inbox this morning-Sabra hummus sent me a note, seems I won myself a re-usable grocery bag.
Didn't even know I entered a contest for one. But it's Sabra, not "Bob's contests for suckers", so I'm happy with the "win"!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--The last thing I won was a tiny digital video camera from work. But I've used it to create some videos of my grandson, so I was grateful for it. And I did get a call tonite saying I'd won a vacation at Disneyworld. But I think that's another version of "Bob's contest for suckers."

6:14 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ I don't have any luck in games of chance either. We dream of what we would do if we won some big money- but all in vain.
That guy on the train wasn't my brother. Peter has no one to answer to, like me. It was
a good joke though.
I hope you can lose some weight Dave, as so many things can go wrong with it. Mine is the opposite,
I can't put any on and my blood pressure is too low
110/58 so I got put on Sustagen or a similar thing.
Glad you liked the jokes and are passing them on.
Take care my friend, Cheers, Merle.

3:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you trying to get me audited by the IRS or something? We play for braggin’ rights and that is it.

And I always had a feeling deep down you were a Buckeye fan.

5:42 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

DANG IT!!!

MERLE--I guess we're both in the department of not having any luck as I lost out on this latest challenge too. Close though. Didn't win the mega-millions jackpot either that got so much publicity over the past week. But I didn't expect to. Didn't even buy a ticket.

ANONYMOUS--Don't worry. You posted anonymously so the IRS has no idea who you are. Wait, is this Vic?

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home