Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Bring Back Bill Knapps



Though I know that blogs in general are a bit self-indulgent, mine are going to be more so this week. It's my birthday week! I'm going to turn to page 53 of my life on Thursday.

So it's a whole week of honoring, gift-giving and revelry. Of course, I don't get gifts every day. Nor parties. But it is a week when, for instance, my wife Wendy asks me to let the dog in when he's scratching at the back door. If I'm lying on the couch watching TV, I can reply, "Can you let him in? It's my birthday week." And it might fly.

Oh, there'll be gifts eventually. My sister-in-law usually asks me for some suggestions at the beginning of the month. ("Shop early, shop often," I'll tell her) Making my list out early has a couple benefits. I get what I want, but by the time my birthday rolls around, I've forgotten what I've asked for. So it's still a surprise. As I get older, each year is more of a surprise than last.
Probably by the time I'm 60, I'll open a gift and ask, "Why did you get me this?"

"Because it was on your list."

"Oh."

Instead of writing her own birthday list, Wendy will make gift suggestions to me in the month or two leading up to her birthday. While we're working out in the yard, she might suggest some solar battery-powered garden footlights for her birthday. But by the time I begin my shopping for her, I'll remember that as battery-powered Japanese lanterns or something similar.
So her birthday gifts could turn out to be as much of a surprise as mine are.

Yesterday, I received an e-mail inviting me to a local restaurant for a free meal, their treat. Wendy got one too, because she's my spouse. Two free meals? Wow. This is not your ordinary eat 'n go type establishment either but an upscale wine 'n dine joint. We'll have to try it this weekend. Must be some catch there somewhere.

At one time, you could go to Bill Knapp's, a regional restaurant chain, and get the percentage equivalent of your age discounted off your meal price. Plus a free cake! Getting 80 per cent off your dinner on your 80th birthday made this place a favorite with the geriatric set.

When comedian Tim Allen was just a locally known prospect, we heard him joke about Bill Knapps during a stand-up gig in Ann Arbor. "Bill Knapps, where all the waitresses are certified in CPR."

Bill Knapps went out of business a year or so ago, probably because they gave away too many birthday discounts to us aging baby boomers.

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be out of town on Thursday doing book signings, so wishing you a VERY Happy Birthday now! Enjoy your special day and also that free dinner. Have a feeling they'll be a blog posting connected to that.

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are the same age as my husband. Born in '53 and turning 53 is BIG, Dave!

Your mention of Bill Knapp's brings back a flood of happy memories. That free cake actually tasted good! And, they featured a great steak sandwich. I frequented the E. Lansing location, of course.

Only one mention of Ann Arbor today??!!

3:40 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

So, Dave, what's that address again? The one where you want me to send you a Korean tiki-tiki?

5:25 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hi Dave, happy birthday for tomorrow, (it's wed in Oz) my sister turned 72 today, 24th, and I turn 70 on Sun 28th, a good month!!!!!

5:38 AM  
Blogger C. H. Green said...

Happy, Happy, Happy BIRTHDAY !!!!Hope you enjoy your birthday week.

6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a most wonderful Birthday week and enjoy every moment of the 53rd year.

6:13 AM  
Blogger bornfool said...

Happy Birthday, my friend. I like the idea of spreading the birthday indulgences over a whole week. I'll have to try that next year.

6:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday bro!!! watch your diet and don't eat to much cake.

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gemini's are the best! Have a great birthday because mine is next. You much better half.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Happy B-day Dave! Hope you have a wonderful week!

7:05 AM  
Blogger Diane Viere said...

Happy!Happy! Birthday! From one 50'something-year-old to the other!

Diane

9:31 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Happy Birthday uhhhhhhhh~~~
~~ uhhhhhhhhhh~~
hold on~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*runs to read name on blog*
*puff*
*pant*

Big Dave:)

Tough getting old, eh? ;)

11:51 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Jockey Australia spokeswoman Madeleine Kelly said;
“It’s designed to move with the body so you don’t get any twisting and bunching and things not sitting as
comfortably as they ought.”

You must have missed this bit Dave, You didn't say when Wedy's birthday is? happy birthday Wendy !!!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Moby Dick said...

Happy Birthday! I turned 43 on May 1.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Thank you very much for the birthday wishes. And I would like to wish you a very Happy Birthday on 25th
if I am not too late. I shouldn't be,
seeing you plan on a week long party.
Have a great time, Take care, Merle.

5:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday big dave!!! you might want to take the battery out of the smoke detector before you blow out your candle's.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Vickie said...

Happy Birthday Dave.May this day be a very special day for you.

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's get your story straight, Dave. You only accept items from your birthday list.

Have a groovy birthday.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I had to come back today to say ~~

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVE!!!

Hope it's the best ever.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Happy Birthday Dave!!! I have birthday weeks also!

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday. Don, (my husband) had his birthday on Thursday as well. We've already had his dinner out, and it was kind of free. We used a gift certificate from Christmas to his favorite restaurant.

Have a nice weekend.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home