Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Back From Aunt Bug's

It hardly seems like we were gone. But this extended weekend trip to Tennessee certainly made Big Dave bigger, courtesy of the southern fried pork chops, the corn chowder, the chicken and dumplings and three trips to the serving tables at the Great American Steak and Buffet restaurant in Pigeon Forge.

Aunt Bug's cabin was a winner. I did find it odd to find Gospel music playing on a portable radio as we arrived. And they had the jacuzzi all filled and ready to go. Hearing Rock of Ages doesn't necessarily make me want to strip down and jump into the hot tub with daquiri in hand.

Wendy said the kitchen was stocked with every kind of cooking and bakeware accessory imaginable. That makes it this an ideal vacation destination for you women, right? They had a pool table, wet bar and gas grill for us menfolk.

And there were three TVs in separate living areas, all hooked up to direct digital satellite. Never mind the nearby Smoky Mountains when you've got the Hallmark Channel, according to the missus. We could have an oceanfront room in Hawaii and she'd still be watching Matlock.

Of course, the one time we did a longer hike, we were not halfway to some waterfalls and she slipped and fell, getting a softball-sized bruise in the process. I was the consummate gentleman, making sure she could limp back to the parking lot before I continued on alone (she insisted, honest). I forgot there are bears in these parts.

It was a bit scary at night, with the woods and the quiet and the strange surroundings. I must have conjured up every lonely cabin horror movie I had seen while trying to fall asleep. For example, Friday the Thirteenth. Or Evil Dead, which I think was filmed at a cabin in Tennessee. Even thought of movies I hadn't seen, like The Hills Have Eyes.

I'll try to post a picture when I get them developed, but I'm not sure I'll have any. During one outing, I asked Wendy how many pictures I had left in my camera (forgot my reading glasses). She said the counter was on "S." That stands for "start", I thought. My film wasn't advancing. So I popped open the camera to check. But the film had advanced. Instead of reading the picture counter, Wendy had read the aperture setting (which was set on "S" to match the shutter speed).

So no telling if I got any pictures or not. Stay tuned.

15 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

You're making me hungry Dave! And what is this "film" and "developing" you keep talking about? I don't think any of my cameras have those features. ;-)

Sounds like a great spot to vacation though!

5:24 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

LOL ~ no offense but you and the Mrs. sound like Laurel and Hardy! (in a nice kind of way) ;) Sounds like you had a great time and I'm glad no bears tried attacking even though I'm sure Wendy would have captured it all on camera~~ (you know for the insurance)Welcome back.

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! :) Hope you did get pictures. Sorry the Mrs. got hurt, but I'm sure the jacuzzi and all the comforts helped. ;)

7:32 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

That sounds like quite a cabin that Aunt Bugs owns. I would love to go there for a vacation. Our favorite place to go on vacation is up in the mountains in Colorado. I "dream" is to own a log cabin up in the mountains. I'm working on that right now with my business.

I hope you didn't expose your film when you opened the case. I think it's about time you get a digital camera. They aren't that expensive and you can download them right into your computer. Go check out my daughters blog and see the pictures she took at the Georgia aquariam last weekend.
http://bonnietravels.blogspot.com/

8:28 PM  
Blogger bornfool said...

I might have to check into staying at Aunt Buggs this fall instead of a hotel. Sounds like fun.

5:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sound's like you had a nice trip, sorry about wendy's.as for your camara,digital is the way to go.

6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"S" stands for many things, Dave. Go Spartans!

Glad to hear that you and your better half are back, safe and sound.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Oh how I miss the mountains! Sounds like a great time. I'm green with envy!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

LOL. You're hilarious! I liked the part about striping down to "rock of Ages." LOL.

I'd feel the same way about the cabin at night.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

The cabin and area sound great Dave, go digital man, only way to fly.

4:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Sounds like a great trip, sans the injury, the viewing of Matlock and possible bears near the cabin.
Hoping you got a few photos to share with us.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Nankin said...

Well, I'm sure glad to know life still goes on while I have my nose to the grindstone. Just checking in.

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear someone had a good time at Aunt Bugs,
We were misrepresented big time. I need to advise your readers not to stay there. maybe they should check out trip-advisor first.
Try some place different next time and let us know how it goes.

6:22 AM  
Blogger The Gatlinburg Advisory said...

My family had a great time at Aunt Bugs as well! I was surprised how much I enjoyed the Smokies. My wife always wanted to check it out but I'm more of a Florida beach guy. We did a weekend there and stayed at the "Hillbilly Hilton" of all places! It was like a 5star cabin w/ a huge gameroom that had everything: pool table, foosball, air hockey. We grilled out a good portion of the time, but Downtown Gatlinburg has some good restaurants. I recommend the Cherokee Grill and Pancake Pantry for breakfast. Don't forget to hike & check out Cades Cove/Clingman's Dome! We'll be back in the Fall!

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home