Tuesday, May 02, 2006

What's Wrong Here?



Due to popular demand (okay one or two of you anyway), I'm posting a picture from our extended sojourn to the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee a week ago.

See anything awry in this picture? How about the one-speed Huffy Geezer Rideabout racked on the back of our Saturn Vue. In the "what was I thinking" department, who would expect that a bike used to coasting the flatlands of Michigan would be able to conquer the steep grades of the Appalachians.

Even Tour De France champion Lance Armstrong would probably look at my bike and these hills and go, "No way."

But the cabin was pretty as you can see. Just the idyllic romantic retreat for the three of us . . . Wendy, me and some critter who was doing the jitterbug on our ceiling one night. I thought he was on the roof you see here, but I went outside and he wasn't. So he found a way in to our attic space. Great.

So I had to take a broom handle and rap on the ceiling. After that, he was quiet anyway. Doing that kind of reminded me of our days of apartment living after we got married.

17 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Looks like a great place to visit! Bet your "guest' was a racoon.

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks like a FABULOUS place. I'm so jealous--I want a vacation. Maybe one of these days...

11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But just because Lance couldn't accomplish the feat, you mean to tell me that Big Dave wasn't up to it either? And here I thought you were Macho Man.
Love the cabin and the pretty, isolated area.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Sure looks a nice spot Dave.

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe it wasn't a critter. maybe it was the smoky mountain stalker!!!

6:14 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Oh how beautiful! I'm so glad you didn't lose your pictures!

4:07 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Looks like a great place! So um, the bike didn't get much use then eh? ;-)

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is amazing what we carry along with us for exercise. Sorry the bike didn't work out well because riding those hills sounds like a lot of fun. What a beautiful place to spend some quality time!

5:08 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I want to go to Aunt Bugs place, it's beautiful.

5:28 AM  
Blogger bornfool said...

I wouldn't even dream of riding a bicycle in the smokies. Now my motorcycle, that's another story.

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bucolic setting, indeed!

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave's Dad here.
Just got back from up north, and the only thing I noticed is the bike is level with the cabin, and the car is off kilter,and Dave I don,t get the last couple lines in your blog, you say that Wendy proof reads your blogs?

4:51 PM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Wow...beautiful place!! You stay in nice digs, Dave!!

7:28 PM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

PS: Don't let Born Fool kid you. He walked us silly in Vegas, baby!!

Love ya, BF!!

7:29 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Just wanted to let you know I enjoyed your story on BF's blog!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I enjoyed your flash fiction story over at bornfool's.

I've stayed in one of those cabins atop a very high mountain in the smokies, with a road that was sooo narrow & crooked, that even bornfools motorcycle, would have a hard time negociating the curves.

It could have been a bear knocking at the door. Ha

8:03 PM  
Blogger Kelli said...

I love the Smokies..so jealous. That cabin looks great but the critter would have freaked me out!

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home