Monday, May 15, 2006

Robin Motherhood


Robins and wrens are God's chickens and hens--E. M Wright

Now I let this robin build this nest just outside our back door because I enjoy bird-watching. Besides, I'm one of those environmentalist types that believes in letting nature thrive. That's not him nor his nest in the picture here, but it bears a resemblance.

But this particular mother robin would be a good candidate for Oprah if she ever wanted to have an episode entitled, "Mothers who will not stay at home." I peek out the patio door. She's gone. I walk out into the garage; she leaves. We let the dog out and the robin flies the coop.

And, yes, she has babies. One morning I looked out towards the nest and I saw a tiny head stretching over the side of the nest, its elongated neck not much wider than a string of vermicelli. Mother? Gone.

If it weren't for Wendy and I, there might not be baby robins at all. Once I saw a tree sparrow standing over the nest when there were just three eggs there. The sparrow surveyed the empty nest, looking to one side, then the other as if thinking, "This will make a fine home but how do I get rid of these eggs?"

I came outside and shooed the sparrow away. Another time Wendy chased away a starling that was perched aboard the porch beam almost beak to beak with Mrs. Robin. The robin took flight also.

So these baby robins will be lucky to see adulthood. Now some of you, especially the women, might be thinking to yourselves, "But what of MISTER robin. Where is he?" Well, we haven't seen him at all. I say, no doubt he's working late, collecting extra worms for the family.

My wife would likely reply, "He probably has a blog."

13 Comments:

Blogger riptideselkie said...

Lol, I must say your birds must come from a different world than the ones where i live. Sometimes I'm left biting my lip, because the crows and pigeons here aren't afraid of cars and wait until the LAST possible moment to take flight. When walking by they just make sure to keep a distance of a few feet at all times and otherwise we people seem to not worry them in the least. : )

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your better half is a hoot! Is she a Spartan, perchance? And, shouldn't she start a blog so she can empathize with you?

8:28 PM  
Blogger Diane Viere said...

LOL!

We watched some darling baby woodpeckers hatch and grow, and yes, eventually leave the nest! Their nest was IN our house siding! While our environmental adventure was delightful....they returned the following spring with nests of their own! Hmph! I guess children DO return home after leaving the nest!

After hiring a contractor to do some woodpecker control...I think they found a nearby tree (in the FOREST in our backyard). We had cedar siding--apparently cedar is a more desireable location than simply trees!

Diane

4:32 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

LOL!!! Oh sure, defend Papa Robin, while the poor mama busts her beak. . . just kidding of course.

We have dove here that will light on the ground near you. Makes it bad for them at hunting season though. I don't shoot, but my neighbor does.

5:25 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

"He probably has a blog."
That Wendy is too smart by half Dave.

5:56 AM  
Blogger bornfool said...

Loved the last line, Dave. Still laughing.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

The robins around here are attack robins. If you could train one of those things it would make a great body guard. And the blue jays are fierce! Birds are SCARY!

10:45 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

You're pretty funny, kid, you know that?

8:32 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Well, since Wendy appears to be able to fend for herself ;) I'll say a word in defense of your wayward Mrs.Robin~ I imagine that Mr.Robin has met his demise and that is the reason the POOR Dear Mrs.Robin has to gather food for the family and a roof over their heads. Were he around I'm sure he'd be providing these things while she leisurely sat about the nest.
One could definatly compare her to a BLOG WIDOW!! ;)

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good, Dave. And what would Mr. Robin blog about???

1:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still chuckling....great post. I think Mrs. Robin just proves that NOT everyone is cut out for this motherhood stuff.
The babies are lucky you and Wendy are stepping in as surrogate parents.

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I lived in SoCalif., I had a hummingbird nest outside my window and the same thing happened - no father anywhere and the mother bird was always flitting around, leaving her little chicks in the nest. They survived though and eventually flew off on their own. Nature has to take it's course. Sometimes the babies make it and sadly, sometimes they don't...

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home