Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Doogie And Me


[Note: I want to thank Bornfool for his Flash Fiction contest. The response to my little story encourages me to believe that I may eventually realize my dream, having some creative fiction published. Thanks to those who read my story and gave me that encouragement.]

Checking my sitemeter statistics, I've been finding something odd. A number of foreign visitors, particularly from Arabic speaking countries, have found my blog by Google searching the word, "Doog." Doog is short for Doogie, our half poodle, half Japanese Chin dog.

I'm not sure why the interest in the habits of our 13-year-old snaggletoothed mutt, but I thought--okay, why not. Haven't done a blog on our dog in a while and dog antics are a hit lately with the success of the me-and-my-dog best seller Marlee and Me.

It is funny how after a decade, our dog has become accustomed to our habits. When my wife and I were packed to go on our weekend trip to the Smokies a couple weeks ago, Doogie was one sad pup. He knew he wasn't going this trip. Didn't even have to ask by looking at us with those "can't I come?" puppy dog eyes. If we weren't packing a doggie bag with treats, a chew toy, his leash and dog food, that meant no dogs allowed. He'd have to stay behind with one of his brothers.

Sometimes Doogie's a little too smart for his own good. If Wendy and I spend more than twenty consecutive minutes picking up the house, Doogie goes to his perch at the front window to see who's coming. Smart aleck.

Yet other times, he's not that smart. If he sees a dog walking out front of our house, he goes nutzoid until we let him out back into our fenced-in backyard. Doogie's never figured out that if a dog is walking out front, chances are that Doog's not going to see him out back too. Laws of physics are difficult for canines to grasp.

I did let Doogie run out the front door once, to scare off some pesky squirrels that were raiding the birdfeeder outside my kitchen window. The chase was on.

Later, I thought to myself that sending Doogie racing after some squirrels at his age was probably like sending my 80-year-old grandmother out to chop a cord of wood for our fireplace.

And the squirrels loved it. The next day, they were at the feeder again, chattering as they sat at the feeder looking at me through the kitchen window.

"Send him out. He's it! He's it!" they seemed to say. Poor Doog. No respect from the local animal population.

P.S. I added a picture of Doogie per your requests. It's the same picture I published of him in a blog way back in 2005, but I don't have anything more recent in digital.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really think this post deserves a Doogie picture too, don't you?

9:26 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ I had to laugh at you sending your 80 year old grandmother out to chop
wood. Poor Doog getting sent out to chase squirrells, Sound as though there
are a few about. Funny the differences
in our countries, and yet some things are the same in both. Cheers, Merle.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Sounds like you had better google Doog, maybe in Arabic Dave, can't be too careful.

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute post and I agree...we need a photo of Doog, the squirrel chasing dog.

5:34 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

You're not only funny, but you graduated from the Right School. What a guy...

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, doogie's just about as cute as a puppy gets! so glad you heeded the call to post his picture! (i came over here from Poodle City)... by the way, not only do i think he's adorable, i lovelovelove his name, too! (but then, i was a fan of Doogie Howser, as well!) : D

4:41 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Dave--Aw! You're puppy is so cute! Loved the comparision of your pup and your grandmother. Congrats on your writing.

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww... I love the dog posts. You've got me pegged (sorry for the pun!). He's such a good dog. That was a heartwarming story. I bet he had a blast chasing those squirrels! And if grandma wants to chop a cord of wood and it makes her happy, then more power to you and Doogie! Chase the squirrels, I say. Let the dog have his day.

You should take more photos of him. You know, our canine friends don't stay with us for a long enough time. We have to treasure them while we have the brief time together.

You could start your "Doogie and Me" book now. Chapter one is already written right here!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Doogie is a cutie! Our Roxie is a pretty smart dog, but I really wonder about Missey. Enjoyed your story.

8:40 PM  
Blogger bornfool said...

Doogie, Squirrel-bane: He's a cutie.
I've been a little slow, but your package is going in the mail this afternoon.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

I actively look for reasons to post about my doggies!! Doogie looks adorable!

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a funny looking dog house

6:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Dave....Doogie is TOO cute for words. What an adorable little dog! Thank you for posting his picture....and you won't bore us with more in the future.
Gosh, he's cute!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Nankin said...

I had a cat once who couldn't figure out that the snow was at the front and back door. Love the pic of Doogie.

6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How much is that doogie in the window?

5:41 PM  
Blogger C. H. Green said...

Makes me wanna blog about Maggie. Oh wait. Maybe I have. LOL>

11:23 PM  
Blogger C. H. Green said...

I had to search the archives, but yep, I have mentioned Maggie. But no pictures. I need to do that. She is a black cocker spaniel. She's my "baby." Here are the links to where I mentioned her:

http://beneaththeivywreath.blogspot.com/2006/03/serenity.html

http://beneaththeivywreath.blogspot.com/2006/02/weekend-update.html

http://beneaththeivywreath.blogspot.com/2005/11/spared.html

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home