Saturday, May 20, 2006

Big Dave Calls The Shots!

Don't like to burden folks here with my personal issues. We all have our bears to cross in life and many of your's are angrier than mine, I'm sure. But I had a confrontation this week that I have to share.

A downside of being Big Dave is that I have adult onset diabetes. That's been the case for the last dozen years or so. So I go through the routines others in my situation do. I test my blood sugars, I exercise, I watch what I eat, and I take a handful of pills every day.

Though I've lost some weight, which puts me less at risk for the complications associated with diabetes, my glucose numbers aren't quite normal. This is not uncommon. Up to two-thirds of folks with my condition still don't have blood sugar levels perfectly normal. But mine are close.

Still, since I have 'maxed out' on the oral medications I can take, my doctor has been suggesting daily injections of insulin for a few years now. No thanks. I'm symptomless, whereas I see a lot of folks my age who take insulin are not.

I guess too that I don't trust doctors who seem too pushy with drugs, as my primary care doctor is. I know the major drug companies have been working to "lower the bar" on what is acceptable or normal so far as cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar levels go. I believe with the addition of a Medicare drug benefit for senior citizens, there will be even more of a push to add to the drug dependancies of seniors.

Anyway, that's all background for my doctor's visit this week. I knew my doc was in a mood right away since he didn't shake my hand as he usually does when he enters the examining room. He looked at my self-testing results and my fasting glucose, then walked out of the room without a word.

When he returned, he brought an 'insulin starter' kit with him. He began explaining what I was to do with it. I lost my cool. "I'm sick and tired of you trying to turn me into a human pin cushion every time I come in here," I said.

So a lively discussion ensued, during which he suggested more than once that I was welcome to find another doctor. And I may, though I prefer a doctor who is tougher on me than one who isn't. But, in the end, I want to be the one who calls the shots. (Hea . . . ummm, pun intended, I guess)

Anyway, I left with yet another promise to lose even more weight, which will brings my sugars closer to normal. But I am worried that if I lose too much weight, nobody will see me as Big Dave anymore. I brought that up with my blogging buddy Trucker Bob. He assured me that, however much weight I lost, I would always be Big Dave in his eyes.

That's good. I don't know how I could explain to my doctor that I wouldn't be able to lose weight because it might harm my online persona.

18 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Did you know that cinnamon will help regulate your blood sugar? Put some on your oatmeal in the mornings or go to the health food store and by some cinnamon tablets. Powdered cinnamon will does not mix with liquids so you want the tablets or capsules. Add more cinnamon to things that you cook.

Don't worry about loosing too much weight to be called "big" Dave. I have a friend that is huge and they call him tiny. Your name will stick, I would rather see you healthy.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Trucker Bob said...

Your doctor sounds like the jerk I've been seeing. You handled it much better than I, which is part of the reason you'll always be BIG Dave to me.

Class will always out, although a good butt-whuppin' can be therapeutic.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Big Dave - I have read at least six articles on how Cinnamon works for diabetics. You doctors just don't want to admit that something other than prescribed medicine will work. I know that there are all kinds of good home remedies that work. I bought a book, from Prevention magazine, that features nothing but good ole' fashioned home remedies. I have used many of them and they usually work fine. Have you ever heard of the People's Pharmacy? It is a book, put out by a doctor, of good home remedies. I have used all kinds of home remedies for going thru menopause and they really do help me. I am NOT going to go thru hormone replacement thearpy. There are just too many things I don't like about it. I will fight it the way my mother and grandmother did. I don't mean to rant, but sometimes these doctors just make me mad.

Dave, I think it is time to change doctors. I would never make it with your doctor.. Good luck!

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A human pretzel is so much better than a human pin cushion. It's never too late and one is never too sick to heal oneself with hot yoga!

http://bikramyogaannarbor.com

Arrrgh - I had to type Ann Arbor!

8:23 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Your last line broke me up, Always Big Dave.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you know I'm an RN...and I can remember when the norm for blood sugars was 80-120. My husband tested like 118 and the dr. seemed concerned, UNTIL I spoke up and said, "Whoa!" So you're very right...the drug companies DO keep lowering that bar.
And I say GOOD for you for speaking up! Too many docs today are in the back pocket of drug reps. Might be time for you to go dr. searching. Good luck on this one.

11:16 AM  
Blogger bornfool said...

Trucker Bob is right. You'll forever be Big Dave to us.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You gotta remember we can't see you anyway. So I always thought of you as "big" in terms of Spirit. Intelligence. Talent. Support. That kinda stuff. Shrink away, and not only will we think of you as "Big Dave" you will continue to always be "Big Dave."

6:06 PM  
Blogger Moby Dick said...

Diabetes is a killer! Do whatever you have to do to help yourself. Best wishes,

12:35 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

I agree with everyone else, you'll always be "Big Dave".

I too would have told the doc where to put his needle.

Take care of yourself, please. We want to have you around for a very long time.

6:38 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

Oh yes..you will always be Big Dave! Those drug companies are a piece of work, huh? Get the numbers down and tell 'em to kiss your insulin.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good grief! For all I know you could be a 12 year old kid that weighs 80 lbs - for pete's sake, you are BIG DAVE! Hey though, I know what you mean about the pill pushing doctors. I think they're in cahoots with the drug companies. You should visit a naturopath doctor and lose weight and exercise and eat right and we won't know the difference. You'll always be BIG DAVE to me!

3:53 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hi BIG Dave, keep fightin' the good fight Buddy, don't let 'em STICK it to you.

5:57 PM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

You'll forever be Big Dave to me too!! The "Big" never pertained to physical size in my eyes.

I don't know enough about diabetes to offer any advice, but I do agree that many doctors are all too quick to write a script. Good luck to you!! I hope it goes your way!

2:49 PM  
Blogger C. H. Green said...

I sympathize with you Dave. I had a doctor tell me 18 years ago I was killing myself with my weight. And I'm sure he was right. Still, that did not motivate me. I think it's all in the WAY it's said. Doctors need a course in bedside manners.

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave,
You need a second opinion if for no other reason than to put your mind at ease.

I found Terri's comments interesting because my daughter-in-law also had a 118 level and was told she had the onset of adult diabetes. After research she realized that they had lowered the
numbers a year or two ago. She is doing fine on diet change and exercise.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Free Agency Rules said...

I wish mine were as low as 118. I would jump through hoops to be 118.

I too have Type II Diabetes. I took the pills for 10 years and then had to switch to Insulin because the pills lost their effectiveness. Once you start producing less insulin it is down hill from there.

Being skinny will help a lot though. I am six feet and weight about 199. I control my sugars much better when I am around 180-185. I am trying to get back down there.


FAR.

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think bird flu is going to be a problem ?

I heard it would hit USA & Canada this fall.

Is there anything to the bird flu panic ?

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home