Saturday, May 06, 2006

Cleave To Me, Dandelion


Some years back the sweet, little five-year-old girl from next door approached after I had parked my car in our driveway.

"When are you going to cut your grass?" she asked shyly.

Now, I know she really didn't care if my grass was a bit long, which it was. It's not something that concerns five-year-olds. But little girls are notorious for picking up conversational tidbits from between mother and father, then repeating them publicly in candid fashion. And this little girl had spoken frankly like this before.

Although my yard isn't the bane of home sellers in our subdivision, I've never spent a great deal of time planting flowers, patching bare spots or killing dandelions either. In fact, weeds probably regard my corner lot as a sanctuary from the ChemLawn folks.

And I hear from ChemLawn a lot. I probably get a mailer a week from them, not all of them addressed to me either. Maybe my neighbors drop their flyers in my box too. Who knows?

I told Wendy that I don't consider ours' a lawn anyway. I consider it an ecoscape, filled with all varieties of the plant kingdom. Hea, this is Ann Arbor, right? Diversity is king, right?

Now on the side of my house, I do have a wildflower garden, which is an excuse to just "let it grow" whatever it is. Something took root there which kept growing and growing and is now a woody shrub two stories tall. My sister-in-law calls it a giant weed. I call it a Mediterranean Poplar. Not because that's what it is, but because it sounds classy.

Now I could make excuses for myself. For instance, I have terrible allergies. Wendy says I look ten years older in the spring with the circles under my puffy, burning eyes. But I won't use that as my defense. Not now.

If a neighbor sometime asks me, "When are you going to do something about your yard?" my reply will be simple.

"I don't do yardwork. I have a blog."

28 Comments:

Blogger Lillee said...

Blogging's always my excuse for stuff too. Unfortuantley in these parts people don't know what blogs are and always assume I am saying "Flogging".

8:46 PM  
Blogger poopie said...

heh..I don't do much of it either anymore. Who cares, right?

7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You never need to ask an Ann Arborite where he is from, for he will tell you time and time again, before you have the chance to inquire.

Diversity is one of Ann Arbor's attributes, whereas humility is not. I'm glad to hear that your better half is continuing to keep you humble, Dave.

Here's to the crabgrass and pretty dandelion chains!

9:23 AM  
Blogger the many Bs said...

Good point. I don't do lots of stuff. I have a blog.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Nankin said...

Did you know that dandelions are not native to the US? The English settelrs imported them for food and to make wine. Back in Illinos, we had some big enough to swallow the paper boy.

I'm glad you found the wiener dog funny. It is now, but wasn't when I was 15. LOL

2:10 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Amen fellow blogger.

5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how about a little dandelion wine, a nice lawn chair, sit back and watch the weed's grow.

6:17 AM  
Blogger bornfool said...

Great answer. I think I'll use it, too. Everyone has their own priorities. Yours, nor mine, isn't lawn care.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Great excuse Dave! Thanks for the "head's up" on my blog. :)

7:13 AM  
Blogger Irish Divinity said...

My husband is a nut about keeping the yard mowed and weedeated, me, well as long as it isn't too long for the kids to go out and play it doesn't much affect me.
Thanks for the comment on my story! Congrats on winning!! Your story was terrific.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Monday Morning. I hurried over from Tom's to offer congratulations for winning the Flash Fiction contest.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I bet the little girl was asking when you planned to mow, as she was wanting to pick a beautiful dandelion bouquet before you mowed them all down. That's what cute little girls do you know. ;)

10:43 AM  
Blogger Kelli said...

Congrats on winning the contest at BF's!

I wasnt a judge..but I told him yesterday that you should be the winner.

He told me tough..I wasnt a judge.

Oh well. Im glad that you won! You were my pick! :)

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the big win at BF's place!! Your story was great! I thought you did an excellent job of capturing the confusion.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Congrats again Dave, you submitted a great entry in the flash fiction comp. and were rightly judged the winner.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's to blogging, lawns with dandelions, and clever excuses for doing what we want to do.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Congratulations on your win
at Bornfools. I love the last line in this post "I don't do yardwork. I have
a blog." Trouble is a lot of people do not know what a blog is.
Cheers, Merle.

3:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY for you, Dave! These people that are slaves to their landscaping (and in Florida, it's almost like a competition in some areas) drive me nuts!
While I love flowers, plants, trees, etc. I'm not about NOT to let my dogs dig in the yard, because they'll ruin the grass. Besides, we have mostly beach sand in our yard here...lol
And I like your priorities....yard work or blog? Well, Duh! LOL

9:17 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

I never saw that coming. Fantastic, Big Dave.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Our yard wouldn't win "yard of the Month" either.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

I haven't been on much this last week so I was glad to hear you won the contest! Congrats! They plant wildflowers here along the highways to keep from having to mow so often! Great idea!

11:52 AM  
Blogger phoenix said...

Congrats on the May Perfect Post Award from Hoss. I enjoyed it and got a giggle or two! :)

5:38 AM  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

Thanks, Big Dave. I'm going to use that, substitutiong "work" for the word "yardwork."

5:43 AM  
Blogger Miss Cellania said...

Yeah, thats my excuse, too!

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, nice to read this post that Hoss directed us to. I wrote recently on dandelions. YOu are just an eco gardener... dandelions were brought to the U.S. by the French as a vegetable. They are very nutritious. Here's my story on it...Dandelion Wishes
Nice post.
Cheers.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Raehan said...

Ahhh...the perfect answer. I needed it.

My blog is indeed the unspoken answer to so many of the unasked questions by friends and neighbors.

I have a blog, indeed.

Congrats on your perfect post award.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Bravo!! Does that work for

"Why are there no groceries in the house?" too?

I'm going to try it...

Congrats on your Perfect Post Award :)

6:33 PM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

I love it! That's about how our yard is, too. Only my husband doesn't have a blog... Hmmm.

Congrats on your Perfect Post Award! :)

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home