Friday, May 12, 2006

Yo!

Last weekend I went to Breakin’ Curfew, an exposition of musical talent from the youth of the Ann Arbor area. My nephew was a featured performer. Kinda reminds me of when I was that age. Well, no it doesn’t. During some of the more rowdy rock ‘n roll musical numbers, there was some ‘stage diving’ or ‘crowd diving.’ I can’t remember that from my teenage years.

I guess stage diving is where a member of the audience climbs up on the stage and dives backwards into the mass of humanity below. Crowd diving is where a performer runs off the stage and dives over the top of the same mass of humanity. I saw both, neither of which pleased the stage managers there at the usually reverential University of Michigan Powers Center. It’s unlikely there’ll be stage diving or crowd diving when the London Philharmonic comes to town later this year.

But that’s not what I wanted to blog about today. What impressed me was the response of the sold-out teen crowd to the kids who read poems in the breaks between musical numbers. They received as big a crowd roar as the rock ‘n roll musicians. Wow! I could never be a rock star, but I could be a rockin’ poet. All I need is a bit of hip hop cadence, the right poem, and a little attitude. Check it out.


I’m middle-age; I’m in a rage
Not ready to get off life’s stage
But I want to turn the page
So when are my kids going to make a living wage?
So I can retire, before I expire, before I’m ashes on some funeral pyre.
I need social security
To be there for me.
So I can pay for electricity
Cause they won’t make it free for me.
Our money’s going to Iraq
We need it back.
Who’s going to finance my heart attack?
With no Medicare
Or is it just another governmental scare.
I need the Feds, to pay for my Meds.
Some day I want to be like Hoss, cause he’s boss
Making his pile, with guile and style
All day blogging and, mmmmm, clogging,
With me working all the while.
Still, he makes me smile.
For a day, Then my rage goes away,
Then I think I can say, I'm OK.

17 Comments:

Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

You can't see it, of course, but I am giving you a standing ovation and hoping someday just to touch your kneecap or something.

(Not everybody needs a pile, of course. Just us guys with death plans.)

8:50 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

Aww Dave...I'm gonna jump into the mosh pit with you on that one!!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Not bad, but don't quit your day job! :-)

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you've got to be kidding..

11:41 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Eminem could do this one as a rap song when he gets a little older!

12:23 PM  
Blogger bornfool said...

Yo! Dude! Can you bust a move, too?

12:31 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Party on Dave! Well done...

2:04 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Has a good beat to it. Could see it as a rap.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

When will all we 'white naysayers' finally admit~ Rap is just cool poetry put to rhythmic (albeit usually very LOUD) music? I don't care what anyone says I like it! Well done Dave!!!

*puts dollar in Dave's back support girdle*

5:53 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Wow, you're the Dude, Dude.

8:11 PM  
Blogger I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

I came over to congratulate you on your win over at BF's... and now I see you're ready to hop on the tour bus!! This would be a terrific spoken word piece and I bet the kids would dig it... and it's certainly something the muddle-headed little masses need to hear!

Rock on, Big Dave!

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Far out! Excellent! Not to mention, you're right about Hoss too!

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoss clogs?! He'd go to any lengths to cheer folks up!

Only two mentions of U of M/Ann Arbor today. You're slipping, Dave.

Your rhyme is sublime.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Lillee said...

That was awesome.

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so impressed that I forgot to fill in this box. Just put my name in and pressed publish your comment.

So this is my second attempt. You are really talented and need to pursue your art form. Loved it!

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are the dude. Too cool, Big Dave.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Diane Viere said...

Like...way cool Dude! Or whatever my teenagers say. You are courageous to try such a feat!

Did you have your skateboard nearby for a muse? :)

Diane

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home