Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Busy, Busy

I know the holiday season is supposed to be a busy one with shopping, decorating, parties and road trips here and there. But I'm already wiped out and I've done none of those.

After stripping, scraping, sanding, staining and putting two finishing coats of Miniwax on our front room floor, I'd only just begun a run of home improvement efforts. I spent much of this past Saturday gingerly replacing the furniture in that same front room lest I scratch the finish. Do you know how hard it is to gingerly move a piano?

Then on Sunday we ordered carpet for two other rooms, hoping the installers can get here before Christmas. To ease the financial pain, I volunteer that we will tear up the old carpet, the padding, the tack strips and any stray nails and staples. Somehow I'll find a way to dispose of all this too before the carpet-layers arrive. The ordering salesperson asks if we have a garage where the carpet can be cut. We answer in the affirmative.

What we didn't confess is that our garage has been used mainly for storage and is a jumble of clutter from one end to another.

On Monday, I called the local car dealer and told them I wanted a deal on a new mini-van like one advertised by a competitor down the road. Fortunately, I was speaking with a lady salesman whose father was sales manager. She said she would call me back. When she did, she offered a fairly competitive deal (I get the feeling dad wanted to help her make the sale). Wendy and I were at the dealership till almost 10 p.m., but we signed the papers and now are proud owners of a 2010 Grand Caravan.

But that meant a trip to the bank today to get a cashier's check for the down payment, a phone call to the insurance agent to make sure our vehicle was insured and twenty minutes of wrenching to get the rusty old plate off our old mini-van (in the end, they gave us a brand new plate free since the old one was in such bad shape).

Meanwhile, Wendy was camped out at home, waiting for the carpet people to do the preliminary measurements on the rooms we want re-carpeted. The technician arrived at the same time we promised the car people we would be at the dealership to pick up our new mini-van.

Somewhere during all this, Wendy managed to put up outdoor Christmas garland and to secure the gate on our backyard fence since we had to also dog-sit our son's rascally Boston Terrier, Simon. When he was here previously on Saturday, he pushed open the gate, ran down the block and across the street to terrorize a woman and her little girl walking their two big dogs. I was seriously worried that we might get visited by the police afterwards.

Maybe the woman was somewhat forgiving since Simon was wearing a University of Michigan sweater and the Wolverines were getting pummeled at the time by the Ohio State Buckeyes. U of M fans of all types needed to release their frustrations somehow.

So it's been and will continue to be busy, busy. OH, and I almost forgot. I still have to write my blog.

OK, so this is it.

11 Comments:

Blogger Lynilu said...

I think you need a hobby, Dave.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LYNILU--I have hobbies but I just don't have time right now to pursue them, at least the way I'd like to. Hopefully I can retire soon and then I'll have time for everything. Right?

9:07 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

I commiserate and then some. You have read about our adventures in home ownership this year (probably ad nauseum), but guess what-our 3 year old whirlpool washer is out of alignment AGAIN. I'll be spending Friday waiting for the repair person. Our holiday starts tonight. I have the menorrah and candles out. To further the first night of festivities w/ no one but my husband-being the religious sort I am, I took out a pork chop for dinner.

BTW, we owned 2 Grand Caravans and loved them both-miss them too.
Congrats on all the new stuff, enjoy them all!

12:31 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

ANONYMOUS--I used to get Doogie riled up similarly and he didn't break out of the back yard and chase down neighbors walking their dogs. AND Doogie would come when we called. Simon needs obedience school.

CARINE--Speaking of commiserating, our garage door is out of alignment and is badly in need of replacement. Chances are it will cost more to fix than your washer.

Hope your enjoy your holidays though I couldn't read your comment there without being reminded of the Adam Sandler song.

12:56 AM  
Blogger CiCi said...

I am no longer a home owner and don't want again but while a home owner I was the type to get things done while it was mine. I had so many friends who would put up with things until time to sell and then they would do the minor repairs and wonder why they waited till they were selling. So good for you and Wendy to do the work while you are living there and that way you two can enjoy the nice changes yourselves. Congrats on the new car. I am thinking of a different car but that will be at least a year away. And now in this little town we actually don't even need a car. We can ride bikes to everything we need or just walk. I look forward to hearing how the new carpet looks and a picture of the room with furniture back in it after all your hard work on the floor.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

TECHNOBABE--The minor repairs we're doing now probably should have been done long ago, and there's many more to do. But I agree that many wait till they're ready to sell. Yes, I'll have to post some pictures when all is said and done. Waiting for the carpet people to call right now.

3:23 PM  
Anonymous cassie-b said...

Wow - lots of big changes at your house. Enjoy them all. And good luck with the Christmas rush!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ It sounds like you are a pretty good handyman after all, to do all the work you have done. I am sure it will all look wonderful when it is finished and look forward to pictures.
Thanks for your comments, and I usually send for lots of things during the year from Mail Order, as I can't get out very often. I think we will always worry about our children no matter how old they are. Take care, my friend, Regards, Merle.

2:06 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CASSIE--I did go to a craft show on Friday night, so I've got one gift 60 percent taken care of.

MERLE--My wife shops a lot on the internet but I've never gotten into that. I'll be sure to post pictures of our rooms when all is complete.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dike said...

Bowl me over!

9:13 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

YOGA IN MIRRORMONT--Me too. No hard feelings then that you guys got passed over for a BCS bowl bid, even though the other two Big Ten co-champions are BCS bowling? Somebody's not giving you guys the respect you deserve (maybe they read my blog, eh).

6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home