Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Visit To The Big House












"Did you have a little deja vu this weekend?" my boss asked me yesterday.

I couldn't immediately guess what he was talking about. Then he reminded me, I went to the University of Michigan football game at their stadium, nicknamed the "Big House," this past weekend. U of M played Massachusetts, a supposedly a lower tier team in talent and ability.

The last time I went to see a U of M game, it was against Appalachian State, also a lower tier team. That year we suffered an embarrassing loss, one that made the front page of Sports Illustrated.

And it looked like for a while that Massachusetts was going to do the same. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH . . . now I get the deja vu remark. By the way, the boss is a Michigan State fan so he doesn't miss an opportunity to get in a dig in on my Wolverines.

Actually, I left the game early with U of M comfortably ahead, or so I thought. Turns out that Massachusetts battled right to the wire before finally losing 42-37. Whew, glad I wasn't there at the end.

Some may see that as missing the excitement of a thrilling finish. Not necessarily. To me, watching my beloved Wolverines lose is like watching a pet die. No, worse. There's both anger and grief. So it's like seeing a pet get run over by a truck driven by Al Qaeda.

Okay, maybe that's extreme, but it does stress me out. And look what the stress of an exciting finish did for Michigan State University coach Mark D'Antonio this past Friday. His team won on a trick play in overtime and he had a heart attack immediately afterwards. Whoa.

The headline at the ESPN website said " Dantonio has heart attack, MSU into top 25." Some wag, not me, thought those phrases should have been reversed."

Despite missing the thrilling finish at the Big House, I still got to wander the stadium and take pictures, including one of my son who is an usher there. The stadium underwent a major makeover the past two years, adding a concourse that features displays honoring past national champions, installing luxury boxes and adding thousands more seats.

A stadium renovation can't bring back those glory years and all those Big Ten championships. But hopefully a lot of wishful thinking can. I can help in that department.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Both my Wolverines and my 49ers seem to be relegated to past glories. [sighs plaintively]

8:11 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

JAN--I think the 49ers could use a good quarterback. I don't think Alex Smith is the guy you can build a winning franchise around. On the other hand, the Wolverines have a great quarterback this year, but no supporting cast.

I'm sure hoping some day football will return to normal. BTW, normal doesn't mean the Lions will win.

3:51 AM  
Blogger CiCi said...

You did get some nice pictures to share here, thanks. The place was packed. I like the one guy's hair cut, the fan in the 86 shirt. Did you send the picture of your son to him? He has a nice smile.

4:45 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

I like the pics as well Dave-and deja vu is a nice feeling. I had one myself last night. I was covering an art show at the optometric college just across the street from my alma mater-CSU, Fullerton. It was strangely moving to see the lights on at the stadium and to see the growth of the campus.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cute usher! I want him in my section every game! He can usher me to my seat anytime! XoXo

3:20 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

TECHNOBABE--They can fit 110,000 into that stadium but you haven't seen it PACKED, until Michigan State comes to town, which will happen this year.

CARINE--I know what you mean about football lights. The high school football stadium used to be in our neighborhood before they built a new school. It was somehow a comfortable feeling on Friday nights to see the glow from the lights there.

ANONYMOUS--No, the guy with the mohawk wasn't an usher.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Glad your team won, but I would have stayed to watch them.
I hope you have a great trip to
Washington to see your son and I hope Wendy's knee holds up while
she walks. I know that feeling!!!
Winter is coming much too soon for most of us.
I am happy to stay in my home for now
but was so sorry to hear of your grandfather using mouthwash as
shampoo. Alzheimers is a cruel disease.
Take care my friend, Regards, Merle.

4:33 AM  
Anonymous Bonnie said...

Big Dave and Bonnie are both happy today.
Yippee aye yee, hip, hip, hooray!

Your skunk bears almost gave a spanking;
My SPARTANS earned their high ranking.

SPARTAN Sims may be in prison;
But an uninjured QB, you now be missin'.

Dantonio goes 'til his heart stops beating.
Your team plays more like the 5 called Keating.

I wish I were a little mouse
When MSU visits your Big House.

For SPARTANS will win this game,
Or Bernadette/Babette ain't my name.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

MERLE--Had fun in DC and Wendy's knee held up better than I thought it would. Still, it's a lot of walking up there on Capitol Hill. Enough to strain muscles and joints on anyone.

BONNIE--Bernadette, Babette your name? Not true.
And come Oct 9, you'll surely be Bonnie blue.

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home