Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Lost And Found


I think many of my blogging buddies have rituals that they don't want tampered with. For example, many people do not like to be interrupted while eating dinner. Others may not enjoy kibitzing while they're working on a puzzle.

For me, my morning coffee ritual is a necessity at work. I get a big cup of jove, add one of my flavored creamers along with some CoffeeMate Lite and most of a packet of Sweet 'N Low, and I'm good to go the rest of the morning.

Until one day last week. It was around 10 a.m.--time for my ritual--when I noticed that my cup was gone off my desk. Oops? Must have left it in the kitchen. Old-timer's disease. Walked down the hall and it wasn't there either. That's the only two places my precious insulated U of M commemorative king-sized java holder goes ever.

So I checked the kitchen cupboards, nope. Then, on a hunch, I lifted the bag of trash in the bin. Hmmmm, something heavy in there. Dug down (oh yes, for my coffee cup I would do this) and there it was! I put a fish stickie on this cup so I would know it's mine. IT WAS THERE! So I cleaned it up and brought it home. Man, messing with my coffee?? That's grounds for murder, no pun intended.

Honestly, who would do such a thing to a fellow worker?

Speaking of lost and found, I decided to ride my bicycle by the Big House in Ann Arbor on Sunday, thinking that maybe the crowds from the big game the previous day (don't ask) may have left something interesting in their wake.

And they did. Check out the photo. I found it on the ground near a parking lot.



That's a rather wicked looking pocket knife, isn't it? What's a bit surprising is that it's engraved with the name Ashley. Whoa. My theory is that Ashley might be the Michigan State student my son Greg said was ejected during the game for refusing orders to sit down in her assigned seat. Spartans can be quite unruly, you know. And poor Greg. He had to usher in a section reserved mainly for visitors.

Ashley, come get your knife. No need for weapons in the Big House.

Anyway, I brought my coffee cup home and marked it up so that maybe someone will think twice before dropping it in the trash. I think I better keep better track of it too. Sheesh. Can't even trust your co-workers.


13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you threw it out after that terrible loss on Saturday.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

Unbelievable. Why would anyone do that? Oh, wait .... maybe an anti-Michigan fan? But still!!!

Didja put yer name on it, bubba? Might help people understand it has an owner, not just an orphan. Jes' sayin'.

BTW, I'm so perfectly sane that I have no idiosyncratic behaviors. Really! No, REALLY!

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First cup of coffee at 10am? I'm fast asleep if I don't have one by 8:30.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

ANONYMOUS--No, lost it before the big game. More likely some MSU partisan at work didn't like my opening my U of M bag here, which plays Hail to the Victors.

LYNILU--Put my name on my cup? Now why didn't I think of that. Course, maybe I have enemies here. They see my name on something and into the trash it goes. I don't think so though. I try to get along with everyone.

ANONYMOUS--Did I say first cup of coffee? I often have one with breakfast too. Nothing after dinner though, unless I want to be up half the night.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

oh Dave, I do feel for you-remember I'm the one who wrote several blogs and stories about my need for that morning solace w/ my coffee. My kids have bought me pins that say "just pass the coffee and no one gets hurt"

whoever the co-worker is-they should leave town in witness protection.

and that's me saying this w/ a case of the stomach flu.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--Yes, I remember and thought you would appreciate this blog. I like the pins, too funny. Ugghhh, stomach flu. No details please. Hope you get better quickly. We take ginger ale here to help.

3:52 AM  
Blogger CiCi said...

Could the cup have accidentally been pushed into the trash? I am assuming the trash can has not lid and is next to the counter. Otherwise someone is not very nice.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dike said...

You have one ugly mug, Big Dave!

Here's a replacement
That will bring feng shui.
So handsome and GREEN;
Who could throw this away?!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~Crime of the century the
disappearing coffee mug. My daughter
when she was at school - WASHED her
fave teacher's mug and she was in
trouble!! Thanks for your comments
and for enjoying the jokes you had heard before. I am a bit worried
that you don't have a weed-eater
though.
These doctors and medical centers can scare he daylights out of us
can't they? Glad you got it sorted
The worst one I had was the day I had a radical mastectomy, the nurse
came and put a big X on the wrong
breast. She wouldn't believe me
but did go and check.
Take care, my friend.Regards Merle.

4:50 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

TECHNOBABE--True, I did set my coffee mug fairly close to an open trash can. But it still would have taken a remarkable accident to knock it in. AND not notice that you did.

YOGA IN MIRRORMONT--I don't think I would be casting ugly stones with a mascot like Sparty. But I'm not going to respond in kind since you probably have an MSU commemorative steer-skinner with your name engraved on the blade, most likely hanging right next to your set of feng shui knives in the kitchen.

I wasn't expecting you here until after Illinois/MSU. Hmmmm, must be worried about that one.

MERLE--There was a lawsuit lurking had they screwed up your surgery there. Well, at least in the U.S. here. I don't know how they handle malpractice on your side of the big pond.

9:18 AM  
Anonymous betty said...

See??!! That's what happens when people get too involved in sports fanaticism. Living where I do, I am all too familiar with behavior caused entirely by sports fanaticism. I am so sorry that you had to be a victim of this, but at least you managed to find the darned thing. I would have left it in the trash.....

Hugs,
Betty

9:48 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

BETTY--Living where I do, I can assure you that this year there is no reason to be fanatical about sports around here. But I am fanatical about my morning cup of jove. I had to get it back.

6:18 PM  
Blogger CAROLDEE said...

Ahhhh looks like a murder weapon to be that knife.. better clean it reaaally good! Definite State fan did that to the cup no other explanation nope!

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home