Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Finally A Cool Breeze

Somebody finally turned down the temperature here in Michigan, from broil to simmer. Hope it lasts.

Another sign summer is nearing an end . . . our number two son Scott is headed back to school. Not back to Ithaca, N.Y. and Cornell this term, but on to Washington DC where he is going to intern with Congress for the rest of the year. I'm not sure exactly what he's going to be doing, but it has to do with enacting that health care reform that just became law. If I hear that we're better off moving to Canada or Cuba or something, you'll read it here first.

At least he made it there fine, unpacked, and even managed to find his way back to his apartment when, while trying to reconnoiter his Maryland neighborhood, he was swallowed up in beltway traffic around our nation's capitol. He navigated back to his apartment using the position of the sun along with locating a famous landmark near his apartment, the Washington Redskins football stadium.

Speaking of football, another sign that summer's near an end is the re-emergence of our family fantasy football league. Wife Wendy already chose the order for Scott's Detroit Rock City league and I have first pick in this year's draft. Go Mock Draft Bloggers! That's my team this year.

What else is on my mind here . . .

Haven't talked about my job lately. In fact, I hardly ever talk about my job here, lest somebody at work stumbles across my blog. But here's a couple things I found a little, well, amusing for lack of a better word.

Much of my job involves checking the accounting work of others and making sure the dollars and cents match up. My colleague likes to describe he and I as forensic accountants, forensic as in CSI. But without all the crime, drama and sexy women.

I had to deal with a returned check recently in which the dollar amount written in numeric form didn't agree with what the checkwriter wrote in the text portion of the check. The difference was about fifty dollars.

But what was amusing is that the check had a NASCAR theme with a blurb below the endorsement line that said "So many laps, so little time." Hea, when it comes to writing a check correctly so that it is not returned by the bank, TAKE THE TIME! Sheesh.

Also interesting was a refund done at one of the sites under my purview. The staff there was supposed to refund several thousand dollars to a client's personal credit card. But instead, they ended up charging the cardholder several thousand dollars instead. Errors like that are understandable, right? NOT! At least to me, not.

Anyway, the credit card holder, who I might add is a respected member of the our justice system, was understanding about it. The mistake was reversed and the cardholder was credited, though not until a few weeks had passed.

Then the site received a call from the client, stating that the correction had not been done and that malfeasance surely must be afoot. Very upset. I received a call from the harried staff supervisor asking me to double-check to make sure everything was fine on our end. It was.

As the supervisor stressed about what to do next, she received a call from the cardholder's husband. Whoops. They missed the correction. It was done properly after all. Everthing's fine.

Whew. Just another day at the office. Thank goodness for cool breezes.

12 Comments:

Blogger CiCi said...

This week is much cooler in Nebraska too. Yesterday I actually wore sweats when I got up, chilly in the morning. I would be interested in any news your son the intern can share. That sounds like an interesting job, hope it is and he enjoys it.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

For many years I earned my living as a bookkeeper. I was goo at it, but it drove the accountant crazy, because I couldn't stand having a 10ยข error. I would make the adjustment he told me for small amounts, but, on my own time, I searched until I found the errors.

I'd hate to supervise people like me. You must be a saint.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

No, Dave, I WON'T tell your wife you're a saint. She already knows you.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

TECHNOBABE--I wore shorts to work and that made it a little chilly for me. Just got so used to the warmer weather. I'll pass along what info I can on the internship. Some of it may be, as they say, hush-hush.

LYNILU--Yeah, she knows I'm NOT a saint. But I don't like small errors either. My manager says we balance to the penny and I take that literally.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

I'm sure, dealing with the funding sources you do, it has to be to the penny. Mine was a private employer, and the accountant pointed out to me more than once, if I spent an hour looking for an error less than $5, I was not being cost effective. Yeah, I got that. But .... I just couldn't be OK with making mistakes. A touch of OCD, perhaps? Certainly nervous about dealing with other people's money!

7:09 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LYNILU--With all the push nowadays to be cost effective, sometimes I wonder about the wisdom of my position period because over the course of the year I probably find less than my salary in errors, and none of that really results in more income for the company.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

No cool breezes here, Dave... In fact it's ratcheting up to prime hurricane season... I still have my fingers crossed that we will NOT get a hurricane here...I am the Emergency Preparedness Coordinator for our church group, so I am busy with making sure everyone is getting prepared....

Bonnie, my oldest daughter, is heading back to school next week... Her last day of Coop at NASA is tomorrow and then she will be off to school... She has been working on the Robotics team and loving every minute of it... They already have her signed up for the control room of the Space Station for next summer...This coop has been almost like a vacation with her working only from 8 to 5... When she is in school she studies sometimes till 1 or 2 in the morning.... She has to keep her grades up if she is going to get good coops and scholarships... Enough about school...

I wish you had been around when someone charged something to my account that wasn't of my doing... I had to get a new credit card and work to prove that I did not do the charging... It was only for around $300.00 but I did not do any of it.... It took about five months before they finally cleared things up and took it off of my account... Glad you are there as the CSI of accounting...lol

Have a great week!!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

we actually finally just got the summer weather here in OC! we were wondering if it would ever get hot! then 3 days ago we went to full sun, 90 and above and finally enjoying the warm breezes.

I like the sound of forensic accounting. not the accounting part though-I have a fear of numbers. shudder the thought of having to work w/ them on a daily basis.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LUCY--Thankfully we don't get hurricanes around here but I think the weathermen would like that kind of excitement. Last night they pre-empted Jeopardy so they could track a big storm that was moving through. For over a half hour?! Not necessary.

CARINE--I'm more of a work than numbers person myself. But the work I do almost involes putting together little puzzles. It's like sidoku, but without the fun.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Nice to know someone is looking after the store and it is nice when things come out as they should. Especially with our
Bank accounts. I worry about you losing your glasses my friend. They are so necessary. I wear my bifocals all the time, but still need magnifying glasses to read the papers.
Berocca tablets are good for a pick me up they fizz in water, also I have tried Malt Extract this week, trying to get fitter when Peter and Warren are here.
Guess it will be OK. Take care Dave
Regards, Merle.

12:52 AM  
Blogger CAROLDEE said...

Gotta agree I loved the cool off we had it was sure refreshing..fall and winter is coming too soon for me.. I want more summmmer! : )

6:43 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

MERLE--I'm not sure I'd trust the banks all that much. They've lost more than one of our deposits. I'll have to try those supplements. I need something.

CAROLDEE--I like fall weather, the cool crisp nights and energizing pleasantly warm days. THAT'S the season that's too short for me.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home