Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Dear Blog

Seems like I've been writing a lot of e-mail type letters lately. What's one more. Might as well write one here.

School's back in session around here though that doesn't mean nearly as much to Wendy and I as it did ten years ago when both boys were in high school. Scott's internship at Washington DC does count towards his Master's Degree at Cornell though.

He's been scoring points there already, having found a mistake in an important document that had been missed in previous proofreadings. A preliminary draft had already gone out to major players in government. Then Scott tried to find a post office via the underground passageways there but ended up instead popping up in the Capitol building in the midst of a public tour. So he still has a ways to go to learn his way around.

Another sign school is in session--I got my first e-mail from buddy Bob since spring. He's an English professor at a University down south. This summer he logged 5,300 miles in eleven days on a road trip to Seattle, stopping along the way at Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, Little Big Horn battlefield, etc.

Bob and I trade barbs during football season since he's a Michigan State alum while I'm devoted to my Michigan Wolverines. I wrote after the Michigan win this weekend, "Looks like RichRod got the quarterback he wanted to run his offense in Dunard Robinson, eh. What a sensational effort! Too bad he couldn't have saved that for a better team. My son Greg watched the whole game from his new post of stadium usher. He thought it all awesome, especially the Air Force flyover and fireworks that dedicated the new Big House. Truly a record-setting, historic day for all who attended."

We'll see if that's enough to get a rant started on his end. Doesn't take much usually.

It's been bike-riding weather around here finally, so I had my Schwinn out and about. I found a five-dollar bill too over by the high school. "Found on the ground, found on the ground, I'm just a fool for found on the ground" (Sung to the tune of "Pants on the Ground" from American Idol).

But then I blew out a tire the next day and bought a new inner tube for $6. So I'm a dollar in the red after this weekend. I think that's three inner tubes I've gone through just this year. When are they going to come out with steel-belted radial tires for bikes? It's time.

Besides riding my bike, I also lacquered a rock I found up north (very productive weekend, obviously). Thinking it was a pudding stone, I dragged it through a swamp--thank goodness for bear trails--only to be told it was an ordinary conglomerate. Great. But my sister Sue suggested I coat it with lacquer to bring out the highlights. So I did. Voila!

So what's up this week . . . ? On Wednesday my number one son's wife has an ultrasound which should let them know whether we're going to have a grandson or granddaughter. Or both! Heh, heh. On a more serious note, my father is scheduled to have a somewhat suspicious nodule in his throat biopsied this Thursday. Probably nothing to fret about but when you're 80, any trip to the doctor is worth fretting about.

11 Comments:

Blogger CiCi said...

Good for Scott. Proofreading skills will be an asset throughout his life. Your $5 find was a gift from somewhere because someone knew you would have a need for a new inner tube soon. Ha. Aren't you glad you had the extra $5? It is always fun just finding some extra change or bills anywhere. If you take a picture of the lacquered rock do the highlights show up in the picture?
Let us know the grandbaby is a boy or girl. Does your father have trouble with thyroid?

7:36 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

TECHNOBABE--I was going to take a picture of the rock for this blog but it got to be too late and I didn't think a flash picture would do it justice. Next time. I don't think my dad had any trouble with his thyroid. Maybe too much singing in the shower or something.

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave's dad here, I'll say one thing Dave, after two E.K.G. and a stress test, I found out my heart is OK, for them to take a biopsy.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

DAD--Good luck today. And this weekend too, but I think your team is going to have a tough time against Tim.

3:53 AM  
Anonymous Enforcer said...

It's Denard Robinson and it was Connecticut.

5:42 AM  
Blogger CAROLDEE said...

Hi Dave.. boy that was some long blog e mail..don't think I ever wrote one that long. Glad to know you can still tool around on a Schwin.. mine is gone long ago. Back trouble anyway..Hope things go well for your Dad! Take care
: D

8:25 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

ENFORCER--The enforcer correcting MY spelling??? I must be sinking pretty low here. I'll bet you had to look up Connecticut though. U Conn was 8-5 last year and they're in the same league as Pitt, Cinci and West Virginia, right?

CAROLDEE--So that was pretty long, eh. I guess it was a newsy week. In fact, it's been a newsy year for me. My Christmas letter might be a couple pages long this time around. Longer if I win our family's fantasy football league.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

I hear you on the parent/dr thing Dave-hope it turns oubyt okay and the prayers sent keep your dad healthy.

I'm using hubby's laptop which is frustrating me w/ the skipping sentences and such-so I'll leave this note at that!

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Enforcer said...

I'll have you know I was one of the best spellers in the 2nd grade. Maybe you can get Scott to proofread your blogs for extra credit.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ I hope your Dad will be OK
and I hope the ultra scan showed the baby's sex. Bad luck with the tires on your bike, lucky the $5 helped.The rock sounds interesting.
Thanks for your kind words in my comments and there is no way 50 years ago we had computers to play with or thought them possible even. The boys are in South Australia at Peter's daughter's home. They have a week to get to Western Australia for the wedding.
Take care my friend, Regards,Merle

3:29 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--Dad's surgery turned up nothing bad, just a couple benign polyps. Probably from singing the Polish national anthem at weddings.

ENFORCER--You were a top speller in the second grade? What happened? Heh, heh. Scott has his hands full being commish. Tough job, you know.

MERLE--Yes, we know the baby is going to be a boy. Since 15 of the last 17 children born on my branch of the family tree have been boys, it's no surprise.

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home