Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I've Got The Look--Cheap

A fashion maven I'm not. But I know how to shop. I walk right past the bright and colorful displays filled with the latest designer styles. Just show me to the final markdown clearance rack.

So it was last Saturday when I had several hours to kill before attending a sporting event at The Palace in Auburn Hills. Nearby is the Great Lakes Crossing mega-mall with several fine clothing stores (I may be cheap but I demand quality).

First, I hit a clearance outlet for Neiman Marcus--aka "needless mark-up." There I found a $155 Italian shirt for a little over $30. Still too pricy for me. Later I browsed a sale at Eddie Bauer's. They had flannel shirts on sale for 70 per cent off, with an additional 20 per cent off. Wow! Now we're talking.

I located one--the only one--in my size. Normally, it would have sold for $44 but I figured with 90 per cent off, I should get it for less than five dollars. I figured wrong. It was closer to $11. Boy, these places like to prey on us math challenged folk. Still, I liked the shirt so I bought it.

The next day I wore it since my wife Wendy and I were going up to Bay City to check out the St. Patrick's Day activities AND my shirt coincidentally was green for the holiday. Met up with my family who lives in Bay City. My sister immediately noticed my new flannel shirt. "Boy, that's bright," she said.

Since we all were wearing some green that day, my sister evaluated the shades. Somebody was wearing army green, Wendy had on a lime green jacket. My shirt, they agreed, was fluorescent green.

Fluorescent green!?? Not the look I was trying to achieve here.

But later my sister was more approving. "It's kinda like in Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. When that thing falls off his nose, at first his nose seems really bright. But after a while you get used to it. It's not so bad."

She finally declared that my shirt was "cute."

Cute!?? Again, not the look I was trying to achieve here. Cute is baby's clothes. Cute is the way women describe a new blouse their best girfriend has just bought. Cute is an elderly man in a mock turtleneck outfit. Cute is not the macho look I seek.

Oh, well. I guess it's the price you pay when you don't pay full price.

18 Comments:

Blogger Dust-bunny said...

I, too, love the sale racks! I recently parked my car near Nordstrom's at my local mall. I usually just bolt through the store to get out into the mall, but for some reason I decided to pay a visit to their sale rack. I ended up paying $10 for a $79 shirt and it made my week. I've worn that shirt four times already, and I just got it three weeks ago!

8:28 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Okay, Dave! Where are all the pics of you in your new gear?????? We demand pics! ;)

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dave
I came through Carine's blog. What a cute story. Trying to picture this shirt of yours. My laugh for the day. You remind me of my husband because I would have snatched up that $30.00 shirt, but he has this cost vs.something equation he uses - in other words, kinda cheap when it comes to stuff like that. lol.

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and I would do great shopping together, I too go straight for the clearance racks!

11:21 AM  
Blogger Babette said...

GREEN is always the perfect choice and I'm sure it looked great on you. A large, white letter 'S' appliquéd on GREEN makes the most macho fashion statement of all, of course.

Madonna's Bay City? Dress You Up, indeed, Dave!

5:17 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

No, I think the math works out. Twenty percent after 70 percent is only, like, two-three dollars. Face it: You got a steal, even if it is cute.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

Dave, I am such a bargain shopper (I wrote a column on it a few weeks ago!)Finding something perfect at the perfct price is just such a mood lifter, isn't it????

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like bargains too. Who doesn't? I'd like to evaluate your "cute, fluorescent" green shirt, but you forgot to post a picture.

Have a nice day.

Cas

8:20 AM  
Blogger Sideways Chica said...

I've had to play full retail for "cute" in my time. Don't "discount" the effect "cute" has on the chicas! ;)

Ciao Big Dave...have a great week.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, there's nothing wrong at all in finding a great deal. I'm envious of your skill.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Kacey said...

I have an "old man" who looks cute in turtlenecks! Turtlenecks hide the wrinkles! But, anyway, I bet you look cute in your new green shirt. Cute+ bargain = wonderful!

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe that's why it was on sale. And even an accountant like me cannot calculate how $11 = 90% of $44. I guess it must be the 'new math'.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hi Dave, or should that be cutie? sounds like they were jealous of your bargain hunting ability to me.
Glad to read you all pulled the enforcer back into line in the previous post.

1:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The question is, would you have achieved the look you were looking for if you had paid full price? If you're anything like me, probably not. Might as well stick to the sales.

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have a sister, but I have a brother with a similar attitude. I couldn't help but smile as I read this, particularly the clever reference to Rudolph.

You just keep up your bargain shopping and find something really outrageous to give to her next Christmas.

Sorry just my "midwest get even" personality coming through.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Well Dave, you KNOW I like shopping the sales. The math was correct...They take 70% off the price and then take an additional 20% off...You have to know the game. It's not 90% off until they say 90% off.....still $ 11.00 for a $40.00 shirt isn't bad... Green is not one of my better colors, but I bet it looked great on you...

Keep shopping those sale racks, I love them.

Hope things are going better for your teams,,Ha Ha.

4:20 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Dave ~ I love to wheel and deal... it is a good deal, when both parties come out thinking they out did the other party! ~ jb///

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still chukling here. You're too funny, Dave!
Oh, I have a feeling you were just tres chic in that green shirt of yours. Then again, I guess one always gets what they pay for...lol(Your first clue should have been WHY it was SO marked down)

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home