Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Tieing Up Loose Ends

I had a hard time coming up with a good blog topic this week, but my dad hinted that he was getting tired of seeing his mugshot atop here with the "The Cost of Forgetting" blog I did last week. So I thought I might tie up some loose ends then.

First, from Fun With Bill where I complained about the post office taking a bite out of the envelope that contained our credit card payment for the month. Our credit card company claimed they still received the payment, though our bank never showed the check cashed.

If I was hoping it would stay that way, the words of my blogging buddy Vicki were prophetic. "Think positively. Maybe Citibank will never cash the first check but they'll still give you the extra credit. Nope. Not gonna happen." True. The next month our credit card statement reversed that payment with the note "Return check - mutilated." We were not fined nor penalized, however.

From Hep Cat Steppin’ Out, again Vicki’s advice of bringing Excedrin and earplugs to my nephew’s rock band performance proved to be right on (I think she should run an advice column instead of a blog). But her advice came too late. I didn’t wear earplugs and paid a heavy price.

Holy cow! Martians could have been establishing a beachhead right outside the door to our brewpub in a combination of War of the Worlds AND Independence Day and we would have been oblivious to it inside.

Actually, maybe my nephew’s band warded off extraterrestrials had they picked that night to invade our planet . . .

"Gorg! Sensors are picking up extremely violent sound waves. They’re at a decibel level unheard of in previous civilizations we have conquered."

"Are our shields up?"

"Yes, but the sound waves are overpowering our shields and jamming our navigational equipment."

"Retreat then to Alpha Centauri."

Since that concert we attended a little over a month ago, my nephew’s band has broken up and re-formed again. If we go to see his new band perform, we’ll know to bring earplugs.

Today being Valentine’s Day marks an anniversary of sorts for my wife Wendy and me. It was 27 years ago today that we became officially engaged to be married. A few short months afterwards, we officially made it for better or worse. Back in the early years, if I asked Wendy if she would still take care of me when I was old and decrepit, she answered in the affirmative.

When I remind her of that promise now after she has started seeing some potential infirmities, like forgetfulness, she responds, "I lied."

I’m having chilling visions now of what it might be like to be married and 70, visions possibly inspired by watching HAL in the movie "2001, A Space Odyssey" this past weekend.

"Wendy, can you get me my walker and help me get upstairs and undressed?"

"I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that."

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I lied." Women are so fickle. Rich rode his motorcycle a short distance on side streets the other day (he had left his helmet at a friends and there's no helmet law here in Florida, because the state is legislated by idiots) and I said, "If you get in an accident make sure it's fatal because I didn't sign on for self-inflicted closed head injuries." Nice, huh? Curiously, it was 4 years ago today that I became engaged- and I'm loving every minute of married life. Okay. That's a lie. 45 out of 60 minutes.

To this day- and Dan's band has made it to the big time as one of NPRs top 16 live musical performances of 2006- EAR PLUGS and EXCEDRIN. ;-)

Happy Valentines Day, Dave and Mrs. Dave!

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Valentines Day Dave!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

Be careful what you say, Dave...the situation might be reversed! ;)

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day!

Hehe. . .there are just some things we girl will not do when we're old. I already told my hubby that he'll have to clean his own. . .ummm. . .false teeth. . .yeah, that's it. False teeth. ;o)

3:54 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Don't worry about it Dave, you'll just nod off where you are and won't even remember you didn't go to bed when you wake up.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

Happy Valentine's Day Dave and the Mrs. Dave. Hope you had a special day but something tells me you have the type of marriage where every day is special----and she will be right there when you get old doing whatever ---but I'll not put money on it. :)

*just teasing* I think she will be.

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the dialog between the aliens. You should write for the Sci-Fi channel. Seriously.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Dust-bunny said...

Dave,

I was just thinking how nice it was that you remembered the actual date of your engagement.

DUH.

Then I remembered that I have brown hair, not blonde.

...it takes me a while, but I do get there eventually. Just ask E.V. Body.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

Wendy is, indeed, a SPARTAN to have stayed the course this long with you, Dave. Happy St. Valentine's Day!

6:27 PM  
Blogger Kacey said...

Geeze, Dave! You're killing me! I didn't know life was over at seventy or I would have turned in my rollerblades!

This---from the Beatles:

When I get older,
Losing my hair,
Many years from now---
Will you still be sending me a Valentine, Birthday wishes, Bottle of Wine?
If I've been out till quarter to three,
Would you lock the door,
Will you still need me,
Will you still feed me, When I'm sixty-four?

Tell Wendy, for me, that my "sweetie" is still cool at 75 and I'm sure you will be, too!
After 53 years, I want a mulligan!

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty romantic stuff for valentines day and even after 27 years, you bother to note the date you got engaged! Not bad. Better remind Wendy - she'll take care of you. You're cool.

11:30 AM  
Blogger 2bme said...

Thank you Dave for visiting me....When it gets really personal, I will make sure not to write it LOL. I hope you enjoyed it. And yes Lisa is a wonderful friend I am blessed to have her in my life.
Let me know how the birthday alarm works out.

1:38 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

I could tell you what it's like to be 70 and married, but I don't have time. Got to get out to the golf links.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Wendy is not going to do that to you Dave. She married your for better or worse, she just can't remember it. Ha Ha.....I am sure if it were visa/versa, you would be taking care of her.....

Don't forget to invest in a pair of earplugs, just in case..

9:07 PM  
Blogger Sideways Chica said...

Dear Big Dave...

Wendy is my kind of chica, but I've sad that before. ;)

Love the loose-end round-up. Great idea. Also...listen to Kacey. She's the boss as far as I'm concerned.

Ciao for now...

Teri

4:43 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

Basketball, anyone? Go SPARTANS!!!

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home