Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Why We Blog



My old high school chum Bob sent me that image here. He’s not a fan of my blog . . . or of blogging generally. I’ve tried to convert him. Since he’s a graduate of Michigan State University, I told him that a fellow MSU graduate of some sophistication has been a fan of my blog and blogging for some time. It didn’t change his tune. Blahgs, he calls them.


To be honest, I can’t say that all my immediate family are always enthusiastic about my blogging either. I may hear a "nerd alert" if I bring up the subject of blogs in certain company. It has also been suggested in close quarters that blogging on a frequent basis may not be such a productive use of my time.

It was nice to see a large number of comments from family, anonymous of course, on my recent blog wishing my father a belated happy birthday. I do wonder why I don't see more blogs with comments from family members of the blogger. Maybe it depends on why we blog.

A common thread I've noticed among bloggers is that they all enjoy writing. Certainly I do. Beyond that however, reasons for blogging seem to vary greatly. It can be social, personal, political, spiritual, educational, cultural, therapeutical (uh, sp?) . . .

One kick I get out of blogging is checking my sitemeter to see the number of international visitors I get. I even had a visitor from China who obviously spent some time checking out a blog I had written on managing stress. How cool is that! I mean, the Far East is home to Zen Buddhism, yoga, acupuncture, spiritual meditation, and Kung Fu--all synonymous with peace and calm and healing. Yet, a visitor from China came to Big Dave's Blog for advice instead.

Blogging has drawn the world community together. It shows we all have the same needs and fears, wishes and worries. We blog about the same personal issues. We blog about the same world events. Maybe the fact that blogging shows how much we are alike helps to contribute to a sense of community. Maybe in the end, it will lead to greater understanding and trust among all.

So, I guess next time my buddy Bob complains about my blogging, I'll know how to respond:

Bob, I'm working daily to promote peace, trust and understanding among all the peoples of the world. What have you done for your world today?

HA! ;-)

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe. . .my family moans about my blogging too. I'll admit that blogging does loosen the snarls in my brain when I hit a "blocK." That's neat about the person from China.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

A very good answer for Bob too Dave, I'm not sure my motives are quite that deep... I like to spread a bit of humor around the place and occasionally put forward my views on some topic or another just for variety.

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm all for world peace. So I guess I'll be happy to blog a bit longer.

Have a nice day.
Cas

11:52 AM  
Blogger Dust-bunny said...

My family complains about my blogging only because I spend more time on the computer than I do cleaning my house. And unfortunately, it shows.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So the fact that I've been long-absent from blogging...does that mean I'm no longer narcissistic, no longer a nerd, no longer a fan of writing or that not enough people were kicking up my site meter count?? Hmmm...a question for the ages.

How's it going Dave?

wordwhiz

7:24 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I have no one to moan about my blogging, and even if I did, I'd ignore their grumblings!

I enjoy blogging and I'm glad I was introduced to it by a friend. I have always enjoyed writing of all forms, including poetry. I find blogging has really helped in my writing...so too bad if there is anyone who thinks I'm crazy for blogging...they ain't gonna stop me! ;)

And as you say, Dave...one meets some very nice people through blogging...I know I have (yourself included).

8:45 PM  
Blogger Sideways Chica said...

Dear Big Dave...how interesting you mention the site meter, as I've been thinking of writing an article about some of my experience with visitors from around the world.

As my site is called, "Here's to Happy Women," I love when I get visitors from Iraq, Iran, Syria and Afghanistan...etc. I believe the title of my blog takes on a whole new meaning for these people. Or at least the meaning is fresh and appreciated, not taken for granted as we sometimes do of the freedoms we enjoy on a regular basis.

Interestingly enough, I get 50-60 visitors a day from these countries. They stay awhile and lurk, but to my knowledge have yet to leave a comment. Perhaps I am being altruistic in my view...maybe I am being monitored...not read. Oh well, a little to Orwellian for me this morning.

Ciao Big Dave...and I wonder - do you use shoetrees? ;)

9:06 AM  
Blogger MSU gal said...

just one Spartan fan huh?
ouch!

9:27 AM  
Blogger Kacey said...

Hey Dave --- You keep blogging because we miss you when you don't. You took a month off and I checked all the time to see if you were back. Some people just plain have something to say! Uh, by the way, where is a site meter? I'd be stunned if anyone read mine very often. I wonder if people from foreign country are monitoring the USA by way of bloggers --- if, so --- we are in trouble!

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daves Dad here. Dave I could get your blog here in a motel in Virginia, but I cannot figure out how to get my e-mail. tell Sue we will be home Sunday.What a way to go.
Dad

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My family thinks i'm crazy for blogging too. I've invited them to read it but they don't. The one exception is my husband who only reads to make sure i'm not blogging crap about him. And I do occasionally! I like to read blogs for one of your reasons and that is the one about feeling like we are all alike basically and I am not alone out there in my views of the world. For this reason I usually stay away from the liberals and mainly I read the angry housewife blogs (oh and you)! HA!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

You mention me and embrace the health benefits of yoga just as I try to give up the Blahgs (again)! How untimely! And, since when have you tried to promote peace on my blog, Dave?

MSUgal86 may have to carry on here for me. I bet she enjoyed the Indiana game, too. GO SPARTANS!

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My father loves my blog. And I think blogging is cool - kind of like having your own web page. You are famous - out there in cyberland for anyone and all to see. And like you found out, some people from far away actually read your blog. Very cool! Don't worry, Big Dave, you're cool.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Well, my daughter started blogging because she travels with her job and her friends kept asking her where she was each week. She decided to start a blog and list her travels. Before long my husband decided he would like to blog and he talks politics. Then I decided that if they could do it, I could do it. I have been enjoying it ever since.....I enjoy making new friends and reading about what they are doing in their lives. I like hearing about your family (Wendy, Dad, the Enforcer and others. Sometimes I spend too much time blogging, but lately I've been really busy and can't spend as much time as I used to...I have to say that blogging is relaxing!

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! That's it! I'll become a Spartan fan! (I'm sorry, Dave, but I need that woman in my life more than I need the Wolverines.) I like looking at my world map, too, sometimes. The ones from the far sides of the world are good but I also enjoy my friends in Ann Arbor and Seattle.

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say you're contributing greatly toward world peace...Wonder if there's a Nobel Peace award for Bloggers?
Know what you mean though about family reading our blogs...odd, isn't it? Only my daughter reads mine and that's only once in a blue moon.

7:04 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Big Dave ~ For me it started beacuse I did my own wedsite and the HTML coding was a hassle and blogging is REALLY easy in comparison! It is therapeutic for me too. Also most of us not only like to write... but also to read. As for Bob... help him set up a BLOG to BELITTLE bloggers! That way he would be helping his cause. ~ jb///

12:00 PM  
Blogger 2bme said...

Personally I am hooked...and proud of it. I love writing them, reading them and sharing them.

I love your last line...LOL
Good for you.
You are touching lives internationally, can Bob say the same?

6:36 PM  
Blogger Me said...

this comment is a little late but this topic caught my eye!
i do too get a kick out of looking at my site meter and wonder what people look at my blog, their entery and exit sites, or even how they got to my blog through diffrent searches on google! ! it is fun to blog and write about things in life. my husband reads my blog every once in a great while, i have to send him my blog address every time he wants to read it!! you can tell how interested he is. other family members would not understand what blogging is, so i keep them in the dark!! I like this post

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home