Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Anatomy Of A Slogan

I've blogged before on how I'm a big fan of youth wrestling. Though my boys have long since retired from the sport (they hated it anyway), I still occasionally attend a match. When there, I'm always on the look-out for a new inspirational slogan on the back of a t-shirt or sweatsuit. I used to collect these to try to inspire my boys to greatness. Hea, it was worth a shot.

Anyway, here is a new one that I spotted on a shirt last Saturday:

Today I will do what you won't,
So tomorrow I can do what you can't.


These slogans often have an "in-your-face" aspect designed to intimidate a future opponent. In this case, the upshot is that the wrestler who puts in an extra hour of running or practice will be able to go the extra mile to win a match and place high in a tournament. And it's true. I saw more than one wrestler lose out on a chance to compete in the state championship because they ran out of gas in overtime. A little extra conditioning probably made the difference.

As with many of these inspirational slogans, however, they aren't just for wrestlers. They're for life. They're for whatever you strive to become. I thought of how it relates to dieters. Today I will forgo that pizza so tomorrow I can pull up my trousers without sucking in my belly. Today I will do arm strength exercises so tomorrow I can open that jar. Etcetera.

A couple weeks ago I visited my grandmother who is 95. She still lives in her own house, getting around with the help of a walker and a cane. Some time ago the doctor gave her stretching exercises to do. And I've heard she does them. While she was there talking to me, half lying and half sitting on the sofa, she reached down and pulled one of her legs up to her chest to where it almost touched her chin.

Now I saw a similar maneuver in a Jane Fonda workout video. Or maybe I recall Leslie Caron or Audrey Hepburn looking similarly spry in one of those old movies. But I didn't expect my nonagenarian grandma to strike such a pose.

My sister had visited my grandmother around Christmas and had noticed that same flexibility. "Isn't that something? I hope I inherited some of her genes," my sister said in awe.

Well, I hope it's the genes. I hope it's not something that I will need to do today so I can be spry tomorrow. Cause I don't think I can even bend that way today.

12 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

It would be wonderful to be that spry at that age...at any age! ;)

11:53 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Your Grandma is amazing at
her age. Good on her!! Have you read about the 107 year old lady from Australia who writes a blob, now she is amazing www.allaboutolive,com.au
may get you there. A friend type the post for her. I hope you got a good report from the new doctor, and hope I do tomorrow. I echo, Best of luck to us both!.Glad you like the stories and jokes. Thanks for the compliment for my jokes. Take care, Cheers, Merle.

2:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your grandma is amazing!She sounds more fit than some 20 year-olds I know.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Dave, I will eat that pizza in order to save you from it... that is the sacrifice I am willing to make. Sometimes, you have to put other people first...

;-)

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for your grandma! I hope I have her genes also.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Kacey said...

Go Granny!
Most "golden oldies" are stiff as a board, so---

Limber today or lumber tomorrow!

2:28 PM  
Blogger Dust-bunny said...

I've been taking yoga for almost three months now and I have been known to accidentally roll over onto my side whilst my knee is up by my chin. Judging from the instructor and the other people in class, I don't think that's supposed to happen. God bless Granny.

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great post, Dave and what a GREAT slogan. That's a keeper.
And bravo to your grandmother. She obviously found the secret of staying young.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Sideways Chica said...

Dear Big Dave...

Today I will write this slogan down and post it on my computer screen, so tomorrow I won't forget!

Ciao Big Dave...great post, great slogan. ;)

1:42 PM  
Blogger Moby Dick said...

That's freaky! I hope she was wearing underwear (and shaves her legs)!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Nankin said...

Start now and you might be that flexible when you reach 95. I see Jimbob's mother who hasn't done anything physical in her life...and it ain't pretty. Even her mind has atrophied.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

That is a wonderful slogan Dave. I am going to write it down too so that this brain of mine doesn't forget it.

It is probably NOT in the genes, it comes from work and doing what it takes. She is in terrific shape for her age and she probably is in better health than most of us. GET TO WORK, DAVE! Here's a good slogan, No more pizza! Ha Ha.

4:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home