Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Other Big Daves

If I had pondered another second, I never would have named this Big Dave's Blog. Surely I could have come up with something more clever or descriptive or original. But I didn't. I was only experimenting when I signed onto Blogspot, testing the waters of HTML programming. Didn't think I'd be still posting almost two years later.

Oh, well. One of my personal philosophies is that life is what happens when you've made other plans. So it goes.

When I check my sitemeter statistics to see how folks stumble upon my blog, a great many of them are Googling "Big Dave." But chances are they're not looking for me. Here are some Big Daves who have garnered celebrity status.

Big Dave B: Whenever someone hits my blog by Googling “Big Dave’s Line Dance”, I know they’re looking for Big Dave B, an Englishman who teaches line dancing in the United Kingdom. He won a Crystal Boot, which I assume is for dancing though he doesn’t say so. I tried line dancing once, but everybody else on the floor was going the opposite way I was. Maybe I should have become a line dance teacher myself. Then I could have set those others straight.

Big Dave O: In the “Gee I wish I’d thought of that”, this Big Dave is the author of Big Bucks with Big Dave. He’s a pizza magnate who ran a pizza and sub shop up north in my home state of Michigan here. A foodservice consultant now, his web portal offers tips for “pizza professionals who want an unfair advantage.” Mmmmmmmm, I’m all for a fair advantage myself. It seems more American, doesn’t it?

Big Dave, “the hardest man in Manchester”: If you look up Big Dave in the on-line encyclopedia Wikipedia, this is whom you will find. This Big Dave stopped Saddam Hussein’s plan to conquer the world, then later had a fling with two prominent members of the British royal family. He’s an “infamous comic book character”, Wikipedia says, but it doesn’t say why.

Big Dave G: Another Englishman (The Brits like their Big Daves). This Big Dave’s website tagline bills him as “The strongest man who ever lived.” He won a National Oyster Award for an anti-bullying campaign he’s promoted. Oyster Award? Not sure I like the sound of that. Wonder if thought was ever given to naming this honor after another denizen of the sea. Maybe crab, or whale, or flounder, or . . . On second thought, I guess oyster’s not so bad.

Big Dave P: This Big Dave was badly in need of a new kidney some years back. His website had some information on being a live donor for a kidney, liver, pancreas or lung transplant. (Gee, it used to be they only wanted your blood.) Big Dave P. had a lot of folks cheering him on in his quest for health, including a runner’s group named Hot Mamas for Big Dave. I tried to Google to find out whether he ever got his kidney. Never could find out. I hope he did.

Big Dave Patlak: He ran for Congress down in Florida last year. In his website, his first priority appeared to be legislating for national windstorm insurance. I’m not sure that’s a top priority for Americans. Maybe that’s why he lost to the Republican incumbent in his district.

So I’m just one small fish in a big sea of Big Daves. Maybe someday I’ll come up with a better name.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave,

Great idea for a post...I enjoyed it! I just assumed you were a very big guy named "Dave" ;)

I received a comment from a young business woman in Malaysia this morning...I have NO clue as to how she happened upon my blog! Oh well, at least people are reading, right?

Take good care,
Lisa

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dave... Ooops sorry, Big Dave, good post Buddy it just proves you can write about anything as long as you do it well.

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha, Dave...I laughed when I read your description of you line-dancing...similar happened to me one time! lol I gave up promptly and headed to the bar for a scotch or two. I thought that was a better idea than looking like a total clown on the dance floor! ;)

8:19 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

Just always remember you are our "Big Dave."
Great post.

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But we like YOU the best!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Actually I think your in with a pretty good group. I like you Big Dave monicar. As ms. vickie says, you are our "Big Dave"....

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Little Dave

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about BMW Dave for Big Michigan Wolverine? GO SPARTANS!

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love our own "Big Dave" just as he is, without any added junk! It keeps us on our toes --- wondering why you chose "Big Dave" instead of "Dave the Magnificant" or "Davy is the Giant". Sounds just about right for your readers!

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if you are big, and your name is Dave, you just have to be that, right? Remind me to sign up for your rhumba lessons.

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crystal Boot? National Oyster Award? You don't need to change your name; you need to move to England. As a "Big Dave," you would probably enjoy the sort of mystifying adoration there that Jerrry Lewis enjoys in France. Think about it...

9:12 AM  
Blogger MSU gal said...

those other Big Daves don't compare!

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to say your Big Dave is the most entertaining. Even though you weren't original with the name...your input is much better.
By the way.....wind insurance is mandatory here on the island and in many parts of Florida. Because our home sits at 22 ft. elevation, we aren't required to have flood insurance...but we are required to have the wind insurance.

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home