Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Hep Cat's Steppin' Out

Wendy and I are going to be puttin' on the groove this week. Really rockin' with the hip cats. Or is it the hep cats?

I gotta know because we're making a cross-state journey to see my teenaged nephew Billly's rock band play at the Kraftbrau Brewery in Kalamazoo. We're going to have to fit in with a much younger crowd. In fact, looking at pictures of previous concerts at the brewpub's website, I didn't see anybody in the crowd who looked over 25.

"I'm going to have to shave my head into a mohawk and you're going to have to dye your hair purple," I told my wife.

But what to wear? And what about the vernacular? If I want to compliment the band's music, do I say it's (A) Swingin' (B) Groovy (C) Radical, or (D) Far Out. "Far Out" sounds too John Denver on the Muppets. And "Radical" sounds too Michaelangelo on the Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles. So I'll go with (B), Groovy. Can't go wrong there.

Now the wardrobe. Bulletproof came to mind first when I read the brewpub's calendar of events. "Kill Tomorrow" and "Tonight It Ends" were two other rock groups playing this same week, though thankfully not the night we're there (or the day before).

When I told my sister-in-law the other bands playing at the brewpub where her son was performing, she responded, "His band sounds like the Brady Bunch after hearing the names of those bands."

Hea! That gives me an idea. There was no cooler dresser on TV than Mike Brady, the dad from the Brady Bunch, right? Now there was truly a man for all seasons, for all generations. All I need is one of those funky ties and a tweed jacket and I'm in.

We're groovin' now baby.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are they a punk band? If so you'll need a studed dog collar and some leather! LOL Have fun!

2:14 PM  
Blogger amarkonmywall said...

This is pathetic. I saw you. Surreptitiously buying a book. You are neither that old nor that out of it, Dave. Get with the program. My usual approach to these events (which I attend regularly) is dress in jeans and a totally nondescription t-shirt (The one that says, "I drove to the top of Pike's Peak" is not the one). Have a drink before you leave home. If you're driving allow enough time to stop somewhere within walking distance of the brewpub and have one. Or two. Plus two excedrin. The excedrin are very very important. In all the years that the parents of "the band" have been going to shows, pre gig alcohol and excedrin are the key factors, not what you say or what you are wearing. Also, take some of those little swimmie yellow ear plugs. I don't care how good your nephew is. Take ear plugs.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Nankin said...

I think groovey went out some time back. Although I have no idea what the current praise word is.

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you had better go back to the bulletproof option if you intend to use either hip/hep-cats or groovy Dave... faking laryngitis might be safer??

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should wear that Wawa shirt you got in Canada.

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dave --- Tis' the braggart from Ohio, here to eat humble pie! My Buckeyes didn't even leave their open fire and make it to Arizona.
About your nephew---if he's really good ---- he would be uh, like awesome! Have a good one!

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a gal in Kalamazoo.

Vestis virum reddit.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Hep cats, hip cats... just don't break a hip getting down with your bad self! ;-)

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're worrying me, Dave! Please don't use any of those words or phrases! Just wear jeans,a tee and a jacket...and don't utter a sound....and for Heaven's sake, don't get up to dance! And one final word of advice, please dooooooon't try to sing along! Keep your head down...don't talk to a soul and you should make it through the night in one piece! ;)

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, pleeeeeeaese don't dress like Mike Brady.

I think, the correct compliment would be, "You dudes rock!"

7:22 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Dave, Groovy is too 60's. Please don't dress like Mike Brady....You will stick out like a sour thumb. I like the idea of jeans, t-shirt and a jacket - leather if you have one.....

My son - in - law has a bad and the words they use are: "Rock On"....The music is very loud and you will need ear plugs. I'm not a drinker but I know that you like beer, so have a couple of beers while you are there and shout, "Rock On".....

Wendy, no blue hair my dear...Just dress similar to Dave....Have fun. Let us know how it goes.

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you should take your accordion along and see if they will let you sit in.

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun. And try not to say too much. And maybe you should wear jeans with that tweed jacket.

Cas
Have a great weekend.

9:48 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Big Dave ~ Reminds of when both of our sons were in a band who Headlined at the "ROXY" in Hollywood. The wife and I showed up there (to give our support) and we felt like Mr. & Mrs. Brady at an Acid Rock Concert! I feel your pain buddy! ~ jb///

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike Brady was a polyesther nightmare. Please tell me he's not really your fashion role model...?

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about a Huckapoo shirt?

I hear that wearing Huckapoo in Kalamazoo is a very acceptable fashion statement.

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Dave must be still out 'bopping!' ;)

2:34 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Dave, you play the accordion?

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home