Friday, August 11, 2006

Real Women Wear Tattoos

My father sent me an e-mail that said he was getting in shape by walking the local fairgrounds at the county fair this week. I'm not sure the fair today is as exciting as it was when I was a kid. Anyone remember the carnival sideshow? I was entranced by the sideshow that occasionally showed up at the local county fair.

The barker stood in front of a tent, plying us bystanders with tales of what we could see inside. Meanwhile, next to him stood a fire eater just to whet our appetites. Awesome! Sometimes he promised to bring out more of the acts, maybe even the woman with the "yellow elastic skin."

So I stood there and watched, waiting for that woman who the barker promised would "throw off her robe to display her body of yellow, elastic skin." That sounded enticing for a number of reasons to a young lad such as myself. But she never came out. Only a woman whose face and arms sported a number of tattoos. In my view, the tattooed lady was a poor substitute for the woman with the yellow elastic skin.

The sideshow was often hassled by the local authorities and sometimes sent packing, if I recall. Of course, in today's politically correct environment, you don't see them at the local county fair anymore.

But I don't have to look far to see tattooed ladies. Both my sons' current girlfriends sport tattoos. Not a big deal anymore? I wonder how many young twenty-something ladies out there are similarly tattooed.

My son Scott's girlfriend has a tattoo on her foot that says "carpe diem." That's Latin for "seize the day." Is that what the professor who coined that term had in mind? Seize the day, go out and get a tattoo?

Maybe times are changing with regards to tattoos. My sitemeter tells me that at least a couple folks have arrived to my blog searching for "Big Dave's Tattoo." I don't have one. But I thought, what the heck. So I got one of those five-day press-on tattoos and transfered the image of an eagle to the top of my foot.

Then I showed it to my son Greg's girlfriend, demonstrating that I could be hip too.

"Nerd," she said (I get that a lot from her).

Apparently, there is a big difference between a "real tattoo" as she called it, and the temporary one I proudly displayed.

*sigh* I miss those days at the county fair.

13 Comments:

Blogger Kacey said...

Youngins' are seizing the day, but don't realize that the lovely rose tattoo they are sporting today, will be a drooping violet when they hit seventy. I seriously doubt that a tattooed lady will ever be taken seriously enough to become the head of a large corporation or president of the USA. It may be discrimination or perhaps just a question of judgement.

10:12 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

*snicker* Poor nerd! My 22 year old daughter has the word "faith" in cursive on her inner forearm. I'm wondering if she'll still love it when she's 90 :0

12:07 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I am not in favor of ladies with tattoos and my own daughter has one on the small of her back. Everytime she bends over you can see that tattoo.

My dad also had a tattoo. He was in the Navy during WW II and most all the sailors got them. His said "Mother" and when he got older it sagged along with his skin. It also faded so you couldn't really tell what it said any more.

No, you won't find me with a tattoo or pierced ears either.

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pass on the tatoos also...I've never found them very chic and many are downright terrible. Ah...but it goes with the age, I guess.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hi Nerd, you and me both for no "real tattoos" I'm not into the look or the pain!!!!
The modern trend for tatts and piercings is beyond my comprehension level.
Signed, fellow nerd.

5:41 PM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

My local county fair starts on August 24. It's the BIG event of my year. I just LOVE it.

I only do temporary tattoos as well. Can you imagine what those tattoos will look like on 80-year old nursing home residents. Ewww...

7:59 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

I feel to tempation when I was in my early twenties and got a tatoo around my right ankle. Now that I am almost forty I can honestly say it was one of the biggest regrets of my life. I HATE IT. Is there a word stronger than hate?! It looks tacky and it is embarrassing when I wear a dress. I am now bound to wear those long ankle length dresses/skirts or pants when going to church. Did I say I HATE THIS TATOO?!

1:55 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Well, piercings can grow shut but tattoos are forever unless removed which isn't cheap or easy.

If I had a kid, I would be much less concerned about the piercing because they can let that go when they get older and you know they will. I have never even considered a tattoo. Mr Pop did his time in the Navy and didn't get one. He says he was about the only one who didn't and man, is he glad today that he didn't do it.

I was always kind of afraid of the freak shows. Course I was always afraid of a lot of things as a kid. Clowns scared the hell out of me then and they still do today. Do any little kids really LIKE clowns?

10:26 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

I'll a weiner when it comes to pain, tats are not for me. Like you, I got a temp just to freak my mom out; well worth the 50 cents to see the look on her face.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

I see quite a few tattoos nowadays at school. I'm surprised parents let their kids get them at such an early age.

But, since I have a few myself, I guess I can't complain too much.

Our cool fair growing up was the Fireman's Fair. It was always the place to be if you were a kid.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

I've thought about getting a tattoo... but I'd have to put it somewhere people wouldn't see it normally. Which means hardly anyone would ever see it. Which sort of defeats the purpose. So I wind up not getting one. Besides, I figure the government will eventually tattoo a barcode on my forehead...

10:56 PM  
Blogger Nankin said...

Dave, talk about sideshows, read Ray Bradbury's "Something Wicked This Way cComes."

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, knowing my perpensity for following the crowd, I probably would have followed the fad and got a tatoo. However age has give me a little, (very little) wisdom so now I just have to talk myself out of that cute belly button ring I really want!

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home