Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Hooked On Horrors

If E-harmony, the on-line matchmaking service, were ever to do a personality profile on my wife Wendy and me, I'm not sure they'd find us all that compatible when it comes to musical taste.

Wendy has become a big fan of country, often watching videos on The Great American Country cable channel. I'm not a big fan of country. My musical preferences are more, shall I say, eclectic.

This past weekend we headed up to my parents' cottage on Hubbard Lake near Alpena, a good four-hour one-way drive from Ann Arbor. I try to claim 'driver's privilege' on what music we listen to, but we compromise instead.

That means a golden oldies or classic rock channel, since that's something we can agree on--so long as they don't play many Motown melodies. I hear enough of those living as close to Detroit as I do. Radio stations here play them all the time, I think because the royalties they pay to play them must be cheap.

Once in a while I get to play one of my personally produced CDs featuring mariachi bands, polka favorites, Spike Jones, Mundy, Don Ho and other artists less familiar. But I don't play one of my very favorite CDs--the original cast recording of The Little Shop of Horrors.

When I put this CD on my Christmas wish list last year, Wendy threatened bodily harm against anyone who might consider buying this for me. So I didn't get it then. But I included the CD again when I made out my birthday list in May. And one of my sons bought it for me this time.

Heading home in our Saturn Vue, I finally asked if I could play Horrors. I complained that the golden oldies channel was playing too many Motown songs.

"What did they play? Leaving on a Jet Plane is not Motown," Wendy said.

No fair invoking a memory test for someone over 50. I know they're playing too many Motowns, I repeated.

"If they play another one, you can play your CD," Wendy relented.

Almost as if on cue, the DJ broke in. "Now, another Motown song on our back-to-back Motown-soul double shot weekend." Aha!! Sometimes I win one. Give me that CD . . .

Little shop, little shoppa horrors.
Little shop, little shoppa terror.
Call a cop. Little shoppa horrors.
No, oh, oh, oh no-oh!

18 Comments:

Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Tell the Ms, next trip she can ride with me. I'm not a big country fan but I'm a lesser Little Shop fan. :)

11:26 AM  
Blogger Trucker Bob said...

Did you have much trouble sitting on that horseshoe? ;-)

12:18 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

I live in Oklahoma and don't do the Country Music thing! But give me some Don Ho and Tiny Bubbles any day!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Luckly, The Missus and I enjoy the talk shows on AM radio. If we graduated to the FM dial, we wouldn't be talking to each other for the whole trip.

5:14 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Big Dave ~ Sometimes OPPOSITES attract much better than like minded folks. But there are certain things you SHOULD agree about! Looks like the two of you did just fine! ~ jb///

5:56 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Like Fred I like to listen to the AM talk shows during the day when I'm driving. At home I listen to whatever my husband puts on, everything from classical to the Beattles. We can handle a little country, but can't stand hip hop or hard rock. I do like the show tunes, like Oklahoma, South Pacific, West Side Story and the likes. I also like John Denver, Huey Lewis and the News, Rogers and Hammerstein, any thing George Gershwin and etc.

Little show of horrors..... I vote with Wendy!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Curious Servant said...

Wow! I stumbled across your blog and there are three regularvisitors of my blog commenting here! I'll have to come back!

WE also have musical tastes in common. Sometimes my wife just shakes her head when she hears what I'm listening to... I have a CD collection of over 700 CDs.

I suppose it might be an obsession.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't think my wife and I could have gotten past the start of our relationship if we didn't have similar music tastes.

Also, I was raised surrounded by country music and I can't stand it. Of course, I am not a huge fan of my home town for other reasons as well.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

I'm with Wendy on this one Dave, love country and NO to Little Shop Of Horrors.

5:32 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Country is okay, as long as it's someone like Carrie Underwood or George Strait, other than that, I leave it alone. You and Wendy sound like my hubby and I. I like the easy listening (Billy Joel) and sometimes Fantasia, and I love jazz; he's into the heavier rock.

We fight over the tunes on trips. Hope you had a good trip to your cottage, that sounds neat.

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I had been in the back seat...I guess I would have needed ear plugs. Not that big a fan of country and Little Shop? No comment...I'm gazing out the window at the scenery, ear plugs firmly in place.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Kacey said...

We live half the year in Ohio and half in Florida, so we do our share of radio and CD's. We both like talk radio and I get to pick the CD's, because he never buys one let alone burn one. In the marriage ceremony, "the two shall become one" ---- it didn't mean ears, because between the two of us, we have four!

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feed me, Seymore!

I'm with you. Country sucks. (Oops, I'm not supposed to say "sucks" here, am I? Sorry). But it does.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Curious Servant said...

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. It's fun the people I "meet" in the blogosphere.

Gotta go! I had a great day today in prayer and want to write it up for a post.

God bless!

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Motown? Make mine Mozart. Meanwhile, may I mooch a match?

P.S. Thanks for the grim forcast on the preaseason college football poll, Dave. That bitter prediction was assuaged as my family had tickets to see our Mariners' Ritchie Sexton hit a walk-off, grand slam home run in the bottom of the 10th inning against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays!! SPARTANS will find their inner Sexton; just you wait!

9:44 AM  
Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

You're funny! Little Shop of Horrors???

How about books on tape for a middle ground? We borrow them from the library but pick them out together. Sometimes it's just not better to play music or you could get your wife an iPod and headset.

Where is Hubbard Lake? Our youngest son graduated from Ferris State in Big Rapids. I'm familiar with places along Lake Michigan.

6:17 PM  
Blogger bornfool said...

"Drivers privelege" never works for me either.

7:23 PM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Oh my gosh...I just commented to you on my blog about on-line dating!! How funny!

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home