Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Following Up . . .

Following up on previous blogs . . .

Our new garage door is supposed to be installed tomorrow. Hoo-ray. The past couple nights I’ve been tearing down a shelf in the garage rafters that the installer said had to come down first. After prying free one of the plywood panels, I unscrewed one of the support bolts, figuring that the remaining frame would still remain intact and keep the panel from tumbling down.

Wrong. The plywood panel came crashing down, tearing the frame from the wall. It hit the ladder I was standing on and I was lucky not to be knocked over. Now, remember my last blog when I said Wendy didn’t come to check on me the last time there was a large crash in the garage?

This time she did. Though it took a while and she opened the door slowly, almost going through the motions as if preparing to encounter a salesman ringing our doorbell. But at least she did check on me. Blogs do make your life better in ways.

We had grandson Grant for an overnight on Saturday. And he slept in that crib I blogged about earlier, the one my kids slept in and now has been deemed illegal because of its drop sides. I fixed it so the sides won’t drop, even if we tried to force them to, and checked to see if it passed muster otherwise with newer child safety guidelines. It passed Grant’s own sleep test too.

Speaking of the little guy, I have a funny “grandpa” story to tell. Wendy and I took him to Wal-mart, which was a treat for him—he went, “Ooooooooo” in awe as we carted him down the aisle. After picking up a few things, Wendy was trying to put him back into his carseat. This took some effort and Grant began to grump in his own way.

“Is somebody getting fussy back there?” I asked as I started the car. “Yeah,” came the clearly spoken, perfectly timed response from our one-year-old charge in back. I had to laugh. It HAD to be coincidence that among his usual grunts and gibberish, he managed to fashion a response completely in context with my question. But . . . you never know.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

I constantly marvel how we all kept from killing our children with the unsafe cribs, strollers, high chairs and car seats of old.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

JAN--They almost make you feel like a bad parent, doing things the way we did. Nowadays they put you on a guilt trip for taking your kid to McDonalds and buying him or her a Happy Meal.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ I am so glad you weren't hurt and it sounds like the whole garage needs
attention, not just the door.
Do be careful.
Your grandma sounds like me
'Nowhere because she had had enough tests etc. I totally agree with that view and my doctor knows that too.
Glad you enjoyed the story and jokes. Be careful doing those fix it jobs at
home. Take care, Cheers, Merle.

2:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home