Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Big Change At Work

I try to avoid the topic of my job here. Is it just me or is it that men can leave all the stress and responsibility of their job there at work at the end of the workday while women stress about their own occupational responsibilities and workday encounters 24/7?

I dunno. Anyway, this week I’m going to break from tradition and speak to the big changes happening at my work, which also happens to be the same place where my wife works. Our employer is switching software vendors which in turn is driving major changes in the way thousands of our co-workers do things on a daily basis.

Difficult? You may have heard the phrase, difficult as turning the Queen Mary. This change is like turning the Queen Mary in dangerous, uncharted waters with a crew learning as they go while those in charge of the fleet advise, “That’s not the way we did it.”

Since I’m the equivalent of a deckhand, I don’t have that much to do with it all. But I did have one rather unique experience, having to deliver a ten-minute address on how the changes will affect my work team in front of an audience of over 150.

Now my great fears in life are, in this order: flying, speaking in public, death. So giving that little talk in the auditorium wasn’t easy. I did inject a little humor into my speech, which actually went over pretty well, with a couple folks wondering afterwards if I might try stand-up.

I passed that along to my two sons who were doubtful of my honesty, to say the least. “Was anyone recording this laughfest?” asked my son Scott. Then he added, “Might want to hold up on the comedy club tho. I've seen the home movie of you performing a standup in the basement of our old home.”

Oh, well. I still think I can be funny at times. Anyway, tomorrow the big change begins. We’re all on edge and nervous. And there’s not much I can do to help with it all. To draw another parallel to transportation, remember that movie Airplane where that inexperienced pilot brought the jumbo jet full of anxious passengers in for a landing at the end?

I’m the Leslie Nielsen character who repeatedly comes into the cockpit and says, “Good luck. We’re all counting on you.”

11 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

And don't call me surely.

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any chance of that video of you doing stand up in the basement getting put on youtube?

8:30 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

JAN--Ah, so you know the movie. I was wondering if came out so long ago nobody would know what I was talking about.

ANONYMOUS--Hmmmmmm. Guess I could do it anonymously. It's on VHS though, so I would have to convert is to DVD, then to WVM, or something like that.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

Dave, good to have a sense of humor on these stressful changes. also, exercise to really "pound" out the aggravation. new computer programs are good reasons to be edgy.

I'll say a little prayer for you and Wendy, hope it helps smooth the way.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Nankin said...

Dave, good luck to you and Wendy. Sometimes change is good...sometimes not.a

6:36 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dike said...

"Nervous?
Yes.
First time?
No, I've been nervous lots of times."

"It was a rough place - the seediest dive on the wharf. Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."

Looks like you "picked the wrong week to quit drinking," Big Dave.

Looking forward to seeing a certain U of Michigan drop-out sing at the Superbowl on Sunday. Madonna practices yoga, you know.

Grant looks great below! Start 'em young, raise 'em right, indeed! GO SPARTANS!!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--We're in our second day with the new system. I don't even have access to it. They also cut off access to other stuff we need to do jobs back here, but that was restored today. One step at a time.

NANKIN--This change is good for the institution, they say, but I agree that sometimes change is good, sometimes not so good.

YOGA IN MIRRORMONT--Oh, Big Dave hasn't given up drinking, not this week. Even Wendy had a beer last night.

Madonna comes from the same hometown I do, Bay City. Her memories of the place are not so fond, I hear. But I also hear now that Yoga can kill those who try some of the more extreme positions. You don't explain that to Wolverines like myself, do you.

6:40 AM  
Blogger CAROLDEE said...

One step at a time is good Dave..as long as it is not in quicksand.So many companies downsizing etc..glad they are changing things for the better and NOT letting people go there. Hard to change routine things but slowly and surely will all get done. CONGRATS on that achievement of yours..making speaches in front of people terrify me..Bravo to you!
Lovin this winter we are havin,,,when do you think the Hammer will fall on us??

7:13 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CAROLDEE--I'm hoping we've escaped the worst winter can offer though the weatherman still promises we could get big storms the next two months. I hear that's what the groundhog said too.

One step at a time is right, so far as what we're going through at work. I just hope and pray it's not quicksand.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Good luck with the changes and hope your speech eased a bit of terror for the listeners.
Glad you saw Bec's list of the meals she cooked for me.
I like mashed pumpkin better than mashed potatoes. Glad you enjoyed the jokes my friend, Cheers, Merle.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

MERLE--I love my mashed potatoes but I'm sure your granddaughter cooks up some delicious mashed pumpkin.

YOGA IN MIRRORMONT--From the New York Times . . . "But a growing body of medical evidence supports Black’s contention that, for many people, a number of commonly taught yoga poses are inherently risky."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/magazine/how-yoga-can-wreck-your-body.html?pagewanted=all

You should make full disclosure to avoid lawsuits if you're still teaching yoga. Just trying to help.

How 'bout those spectactular Mario Manningham catches during the game-winning SuperBowl drive? The road to the SuperBowl championship goes through Ann Arbor one way or another.

3:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home