Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Et Tu, Cookie Monster?



It's up. My new garage door was installed last week by a couple guys from a local company. Looks pretty, doesn't it?

And it only took them a few hours to tear down the old door and put up the new one, after which the installation contractor showed me some of its features. That included an electric eye that stopped the door from closing if someone or something was in the path of the closing door.

Additionally, if someone actually was standing in the way of the door as it came down not in view of the electric eye, the door would reverse course as soon as it touched the person in its path. "That's the code now," the repairman explained.

The code. Hmmmmmm, that's okay I guess. But when the work crew asked me for a couple light bulbs to complete the installation, I didn't give them the new corkscrew type, but the recently outlawed incandescent bulbs. Call me a rebel but sometimes the government gets too intrusive.

There was a recent news item about a little girl whose lunch was replaced (with chicken nuggets!) because, though it comprised healthy fare like turkey, juice and a banana, it apparently didn't contain a dairy item.

Isn't the government going too far? And if it's not the government, it's the P.C. police. I remember watching Sesame Street when I was a kid, Cookie Monster being my favorite character. And what did Cookie Monster like almost exclusively?

Cookies!!!!

Fast foward to this past weekend. We got a new children's book for our grandson Grant. It features Cookie Monster, the same character I remember growing up with. Well, almost the same.

On the first page, Cookie Monster says, "Me like many things, not just cookies."

Not the Cookie Monster I remember.

This new book reveals that Cookie Monster likes soccer, ice skating and most of all, good healthy food. "Turkey sandwich, salad, apples, milk . . . and cookies." That's cookies almost as an afterthought?

Probably the next edition of Cookie Monster will have him eating healthy cookies, made without flour, sugar or butter, but instead oats, flax seed and olive oil (I saw those ingredients in a recipe for the world's healthiest cookies).

*sigh* Better publish this quickly. They might be putting guidelines on blogs next.

13 Comments:

Blogger Lynilu said...

I sometimes walk the line between angst over lost traditions and conveniences and appreciation for the newer, safer replacements.

I wonder .... if they find someone who is more efficient and easier to order around than I am, will I be cast out?

"Soylent green," you say? Just what does that mean????

7:46 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

Those spaghetti light bulbs...less light, more expensive, they don't last as long, not good for landfills and if you break one, you have a serious problem.

What's not to like?

I've been stockpiling Edison's bulbs all year.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LYNILU--Sometimes when I hear all the chemicals, hormones and genetically engineered substances that they're putting into foods these days, I think I'd rather have some Soylent Green. At least now I know what's in that.

JAN--Three cheers for someone who agrees with me on those new stupid light bulbs. And who's also hording the old ones. (Hordeing?)

6:39 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

Dave, we have a similar door-one caution: if the sun hits the door a "certain" way, the sensor thinks it's a person/animal and it won't go down! One day, Steve was so angry after trying 7 times, he made me "cast a shadow" near it so he could try to get it to go down, it worked.

I'm actually glad that you found a Cookie Monster book saying that he likes to get some exercise and be with his friends! Of course, I'm known as a rather healthy foods sort, so I guess you'd expect that from me by now!

10:35 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--Our door has northern exposure (no direct sunlight) so maybe that will help. So far no glitches otherwise but we're keeping our fingers crossed. You husband sounds like a resourceful kind of guy.

I wonder if you would like those "healthiest cookies" that I found on-line. They didn't look too tempting to me.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Your garage door looks great and has some good features by the sound of it.
Thanks for your comments and I am so glad you enjoyed the stories and jokes. Our ancestors sure had it hard and I can understand our grandparents being somewhat frugal. Good on your uncle on reaching almost 84 and I am doing my exercises as that is the best chance I have of walking unaided in the future. Good on your grandfather who made his own wine. They all had gardens to help feed their
families. Take care, Cheers, Merle.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

MERLE--I'm hoping to have a slightly bigger garden this year myself. It'll still be just a patio garden but we found out last year that one tomato plant can produce a lot of tomates.

5:28 PM  
Blogger CAROLDEE said...

SHAME on them.. I thought his whole diet was just cookies alone..all kinds.. progress stinks! Just wrong I tell ya. Yeah that is the kind of door we used to have. One little nudge of the sensor and that was so messed up the door would not close. Gotta have them all lined up the guy told us. Well duhhh..can't help it when something rubs up against it. Ours was the lawn mower wheel that would occasionally hit the sensor on the way out of the garage. Good luck with it. : )

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the same Cookie Monster I knew--loved his cookies.

True, kids should spend more time on things such as exercise and imagination. However. it's the simple things that bestows the most pleasure--in this case, cookies.

A lot of my problems were solved with a plate of cookies, glass of milk, and conversation with Mom.

Gluten and sugar free cookies just don't have the same impact.

Added another blog to my web page.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CAROLDEE--So far so good. I think the guy told us there was some kind of warranty, three months maybe. So we should be good that long.

ANONYMOUS--I don't care for gluten or sugar free cookies either. Give me some Girl Scout thin mints! They're on sale right now too.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Kerita Kantz said...

The electric eye is so cool. I actually just had mine about a month ago. Your new garage door is slick. Truly, you can never go wrong with timeless white paint job.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Nankin said...

Hi Dave, I know what you mean about the PC police. What's a Cookie Monster without COOKIES. I think we're being regulated into boring little no-brainers. I remember a delightful childrens story from when I was growing up called "Little Black Sambo". I'm sure you can guess that it was taken out of school libraries for being racist. It was rewritten to be "Little Sambo", but it wasn't the same.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Kacey said...

The new door is looking good, Dave. I, too, have been stockpiling incandescent bulbs for two years. What really grabs me is that the government drove electric light manufacturers out of business, gave the patent to GE for the corkscrew type and they took the manufacturing to China. I would say something is rotten in Denmark, but I think it is in Washington. I think I have enough of the regular type bulbs to last 5 to 10 years, but I probably won't last that long.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home