Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Bringing Christmas To Work

They've had a Christmas decorating contest going on at work the past couple weeks. Some pretty creative folks we have in our building. Not me. My modest contribution is represented in the photo below.



Maybe if there's a Charlie Brown Christmas decorating award, I might win. My work team had created a Michigan snowman in a previous year, so we put that up as well. I contributed the Michigan bag the snowman is holding. It plays "Hail to the Victors" when opened.

This did not sit to well with my supervisor, a Michigan State fan. The morning after I had pinned my bag to the snowman, someone had rolled the large recycling container shown in front of the snowman, so that nobody could even SEE the Michigan bag, let alone open it to hear it play Hail to the Victors. Must have been Scrooge.





Different areas had different decorating themes. Below is an area that featured a green and white motif. Except that I see a big of red there. Santa's red suit perhaps?



No it's the flag of the English soccer team Arsenal. Hmmmm, wonder whose cube this could be?



Below are some more photos from around the building. The last two represent the contest winners who re-created Santa's workshop including a world map with Santa's route traced there.











13 Comments:

Blogger Lynilu said...

What fun! I used to decorate my office, but most times I was the only one who did much. Of course, I was the only one with a regular office, too. I suppose that might have been a factor.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

wow! I like that you and your colleagues are encouraged to decorate.

Myself, I'm rather a "humbug"-Steve and I constantly say-I'm so glad we don't have to put up decorations and clean up after a tree.

we did take out our "rabbi" menorrah and use some pretty darn special candles-straight from Israel! But, since we had no kids and I had that virus, there wasn't even a latke or matzoh ball in sight.

However, we're leaving for our daughter's in a couple of days and she did book us all to go on the Polar Express-so maybe, just maybe, I'll get to meet Santa Claus!

Happy Holidays to you almost-grandpa, your lovely Wendy and all the kids!

8:05 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

You are all so creative. Well, except for the MSU fan who probably says "Humbug" a lot.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family, Dave. Have a wonderful one. May 2011 treat you kindly. Best wishes from Down Under.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LYNILU--I share an office but my colleague wasn't interested in putting up any decorations himself. In fact, down our whole row of offices, nobody really had the yuletide spirit.

CARINE--I still remember going to my great-grandmother's house on Christmas Eve and seeing small dishes of nuts, candy and fruit left out. That had to do with some Polish Catholic tradition (she immigrated from Poland, I think).

JAN--Yeah, humbug to that MSU fan. At least he didn't vandalize the bag. I was a little worried about that.

LEE--Hi Lee. Happy holidays to you as well and best wishes for a healthy and happy new year.

5:21 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

Dave, I amended the Seafood Salad recipe...I should've written - "remove and discard the heads of the baby octopus". You rinse the rest and use that, not the heads. You could substitute with squid if you like...or just leave them out and make up the ingredients with more prawns and scallops. If you like them, you could throw in some oysters as well...or crab meat...whatever you like, really.

Sorry for not explaining myself better. :)

Don't eat too much over Christmas (what a silly thing to say)!!! ;)

3:07 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Your decorations would beat mine Dave, Have a great Christmas.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LEE--I'm not sure I like any part of an octpus on my dinner plate but thanks for clarifying. It does sound healthier than a lot of things I will be eating over the holidays this year.

PETER--Hope your holidays are wonderful as well and no more trips to the surgeon in 2011.

4:50 AM  
Blogger CiCi said...

Sometimes it was fun to decorate the office but when things were already so busy the decorating just made some added pressure. Hope your new carpet gets lots of use to break it in for Christmas with all your family.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

TECHNOBABE--I think the winners got a break from their usual work to put their decorations together. Don't know if that eased the pressure of their regular work or not. My guess is that it did.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dike said...

I always vote to go with the most winning decorations possible: Merry Christmas, Dave and Wendy!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

BONNIE--It's nice to see the holidays ROLL around because I get YuleTIDE greetings from all my blogging buddies. Hope you have a winning holiday season.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dike said...

ROLLTIDE - good one, Dave!

I always cheer for any school
That shares the initials, M.S.U.!

A Wolverine cannot beat a Gator.
Blessed Epiphany; see ya later!

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home