Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Blogfoddermania












Lately, sometimes I have difficulty coming up with a blog. Some weeks not much happens in my average life. But I didn't have that trouble this week.

I could start by updating last week's blog about my floundering found on the ground fund. It's technically gone. While my wife and I were up north this past weekend my son decided to do us a favor and take my cannister full of change to one of those Coinstar machines that will count your quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies--albeit for a price--and in exchange give you a slip you can turn in for real currency.

But wait! I had a silver dime and a collectible Michigan quarter in my stash. Scott didn't run that through the Coinstar machine too, did he? The quarter he held out. Whew! But the silver 1952 dime he didn't. In fact, he said there was a dime the machine wouldn't take and kept kicking out. He thinks it was the silver dime. So he threw it away.

What!!?? Didn't he see the dime featured in my blog last week?

"I don't read your blog," he replied.

Think I'll start making my blog required reading in the family.

Then Wendy and I spent last Friday night mingling with fellow beer lovers at Michigan's Summer Beer Festival in Ypsilanti. Mmmmmmm, peanut butter and chocolate ale. Not as bad as it sounds. The agave peach ale was not my favorite. And the strawberry rhubarb wheat beer? It was just okay.

We've been to this beer festival in the past but what made this one more memorable was not the eccentric flavors but the weather. We had not been there an hour when the skies opened up and it began to pour. There were lots of tents to huddle under, but many folks got wet anyway. But few people left. The beer might be watered down anyway; what's a few more drops.

This past weekend Wendy and I headed to my parents' cabin on Hubbard Lake. While there, I took my father's kayak up Sucker Creek to see how far I could get. It must have rained up there some as the usually lazy creek had some current. And my kayaking skills were a bit rusty.

While navigating an area of deadfalls and low hanging branches, I capsized when the kayak went sideways while I tried to avoid a branch protruding from the water. I wrestled the kayak to the muddy shore, which turned out to be a mere a pile of silt and quickmud (see how it encompasses my foot in the picture).

I should add that I saw nobody else while on the creek, which meanders through a rather remote, swampy area off the lake. With much effort, I drained the water out of the kayak--I think my nephew sold the used craft to my dad because it was too heavy to portage--and continued on my way. Much more carefully, I should add.

By the way, I'm not sure why they call it Sucker Creek, though it is known to be fully populated with blood-sucking leeches. I'm terrified of blood-suckers, to the point that I've avoided rocks, logs and places where they congregate throughout my 50 or so years of childhood, adolescence and adulthood. I never emerged from the water there at Hubbard Lake carrying a leech.

Until this past weekend. Sure enough, I spied one wriggling atop my foot after I walked up the beach to the cabin after rinsing the mud out of the kayak. I calmly told Wendy how to remove it (lighted match). Hmmmm, I said "calmly", didn't I. Well, thankfully for me, Wendy doesn't read my blog either.

In fact, I'll have to postpone that family blog-reading requirement for another week or so.

11 Comments:

Blogger CiCi said...

Oh no, your change is gone. You will have to find someplace to stash the coins you want to collect and not have them in with the change you find. What made you think your son read your blog? You had a fun adventure out in the kayak sounds like. We used to check our kids when they came in from playing when we lived in NJ and would burn off the tics. Did you take a picture of the leech before you removed it?

6:53 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

TECHNOBABE--Take a picture of the leech? That little bugger was heading between my toes. The last thing on my mind was getting a picture of it. I've seen Scott's comments on previous blogs so I know he reads a few of them.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

I threatened the family with a computer graded test if all blog posts are not read.But then I've never seen a leech either.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

I too have a family of non-readers Dave-unless I tell them I've mentioned them.
then curiousity strikes fear in their hearts.
most of the time they're quite happy w/ the mention.

sorry about the dime.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

JAN--Maybe they don't have leeches out on the west coast. I think they tend to hang out in freshwater on underwater rocks and deadwood. At one time leeches were used for medicinal purposes.

CARINE--My people aren't always so happy that I mention them. In fact, I've been forbidden to blog on certain topics. I used to have my wife Wendy proofread my blogs first to make sure they at least got her okay. I don't do that as much now though.

7:07 PM  
Blogger CAROLDEE said...

Ewwwww LLLEEECHES.holy crap..Hope you recover well. Oil spill is all that is talked about over here. Lord what a mess.. : (
PS no one in my family reads my blog either..HAH

4:38 AM  
Anonymous bonnie said...

Whew regarding the Michigan quarter; it's so pretty!

Salt for the leeches! The closest thing we have to leeches in Seattle are slimy slugs. Beer placed around the garden in saucers is the cure and they die a happy death. That Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat beer could be put to good use.

How I miss a good Michigan rainstorm!

I've canoed on Hubbard Lake before. We still own property on Rainy Lake, which is not only a money pit, but a sinkhole.

You had a full week, Dave. Better rest awhile. Viparita karani is a great restorative yoga asana.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CAROLDEE--Lots on the news about the oil spill over on this side of the state too. Wonder if oil kills leeches.

BONNIE--I thought of the salt later. If the lighted match didn't work, I was ready to amputate. If Rainy Lake is in Presque Isle County, very pretty country up there. I used to be the beat reporter there for the Alpena News.

Yoga again. I did ask someone who clerks at a Yoga center whether any men were members. She said there were a few and they were straight too (I asked). She added however that some people are just too obsessed with their yoga. Hmmm.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ What a shame about your precious coins. Aren't people helpful
Keep on looking, you may be lucky again. The photos are good, glad the leech didn't get you.
I hope the swimming helps your wife's
knee. Otherwise her doctor could probably get her home help. Maybe not, with you there. I hope you find your reading glasses.Regards, Merle.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Have had to burn free a few leeches over the years too Dave.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

MERLE--I keep on looking. As long as you keep your eyes open, you'll never know what you'll find. Maybe even my reading glasses some day.

PETER--So they have them over there too. I heard about all the poisonous snakes, but not the leeches.

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home