Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Flea Market Fun

Every year about this time I make a pilgrimage to the Midland Antique Show, the largest antique flea market in Michigan. It’s better than a two-hour drive for me but it’s a chance to hang out with my family in the area who also attend. My mother usually packs ground bologna sandwiches for lunch, my absolute favorite sandwich in all the world.

Except nobody in my family joined me this year. They all drove up north to their cottages instead. Oh, well. Lunch was at Mr. Hot Dog this time. I like them too.

At the crowded market, I browsed here, peeked there, checking out coins, cards, cans, comics, cookies (bought an oatmeal raisin), vintage cars, clothes, crafts, crocks, Confederate currency, Coca Cola collectibles and other curiosities. Lots there.

Though ordinarily it’s more fun (and less costly) just to look, I did buy an older saddle basket to put on my Schwinn at home. I even talked the vendor down a few bucks from his price. Most stuff for sale comes with a handwritten price tag, but other antiques are unmarked.

A passerby remarked to his companion, “They say if you have to ask the price, you can’t afford it.”

“Is it true?” his shopping partner asked.

“I don’t’ know. I’ve never asked.”

I passed by a vendor who had a collection of individual state maps for sale. I took a look at a few older Michigan maps. While I was working for a newspaper up north over 30 years ago, I remember the Michigan Department of Transportation put out a map of Michigan that contained a couple “errors.”

Some University of Michigan fan in the print shop added two small towns. Sharp-eyed map-readers discovered “Goblu” and “Beatosu” in Ohio. I had one of those maps once but lost track of it and have been trying to find another one ever since.

“Do you know anything about Michigan maps?” I asked the vendor lady.
“I know that I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else?” she replied.

Okay, maybe she misunderstood my question. I asked again specifically about the Michigan maps that were published with the aforementioned errors .

She quickly held up four fingers. “Four hundred dollars,” she said excitedly.

Holy cow! I guess that guy was right.

11 Comments:

Blogger CiCi said...

Ground bologna sandwiches. I used to grind bologna and add pickle relish and mayo and my kids loved it. How does your mom make it? $400 for a map of Michigan??? Gads.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

I've never heard of ground bologna sandwiches. Interesting.

Four (gasp) hundred dollars???????

I have to go lie down now. I don't feel well ............




$400?????????

8:57 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

TECHNOBABE--Very similarly. Dill pickles instead of pickle relish and part of on onion to give it a little spice. Just enough mayo to hold it together.

LYNILU--Ridiculous, isn't it? This map was free originally. And this vendor said she didn't even have any, but that's what she claimed they sold for.

3:40 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

ew, maybe it's the healthnut in me Dave, but bologna?
and $400 for a map-it must be some important map.
me-I'm in the midst of saving for a new set of motor mounts for my antique 2003 PT cruiser.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Miss Wahbekanetta (1966) said...

Finding Green Lake on a Michigan map is priceless!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CARINE--My in-laws our having problems with their PT Cruiser and it's currently in the shop. Maybe you could save for a down payment on a new Lotus. I saw one around here the other day and it looks pretty cool. Don't know how much they cost though.

MISS WAHBEKANETTA--I dunno. Green Lake sounds polluted or something. I prefer my lakes pristine, clear and pure. So blue.

6:37 PM  
Anonymous betty said...

What is ground bologna? I can't imagine what kind of tool would grind bologna without creating a huge mess.

It sounds as though you enjoyed yourself despite being abandoned. I used to have a Schwinn with an old handlebar basket when I was a kid, back in the olden days when bike riding was not necessarily a life-threatening experience.

Pray tell, did you actually buy that map? Hopefully the thrill of just seeing goblu in Ohio was enough.

(Why on earth do people get so worked up over Ohio State vs. Michigan?) (Remember - I'm not a native.)

Hugs,
Betty

8:59 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

BETTY--No, didn't buy the map. Still wouldn't mind having one though. This map was produced during the Bo versus Woody era when the rivalry was much more competitive that it has been lately. *sigh* Probably have to be a native to really get into it, you're right about that.

Ground bologna is pretty much just what it sounds. YOu take rings of bologna and put them in a meat grinder (you may be able to use a food processor too) along with pickles, onion, etc.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ I used to love going to
Flea Markets and could always find
some small treasure. Not $400 maps.
Sorry your family didn't turn up.
I hope Wendy had a lovely birthday.
I am glad you both slept through the Tornado warning and no damage was done. Glad you enjoyed the jokes.
Take care, Regards, Merle.

7:05 AM  
Blogger CAROLDEE said...

Ground bologna sounds kinda like spam with a kick.. heheh.. niece and her hubby moved to Midland this month. He is working for DOW.
Yeah.. those fleas.. wonder if they ever realllly sell anything with those high prices.
SOrry I been such a stranger.. life is kinda busy now.. take care
: )

2:00 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

MERLE--My dad likes to go to estate sales now. I tell him to keep his eye out for old trading cards but he never finds any.

CAROLDEE--Nice to hear from you again. I think everybody in Midland works for Dow in one way or another. That's definitely a company town.

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home