Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Summer Re-Runs

Well, not really. But since I don't have a hot topic to blog about this week, I thought I would cull the annals of our family life, courtesy of my quintennial journal--a diary I keep for one year at five-year intervals. My wife Wendy and I have been remarking about how quickly time seems to pass now. Reading these makes it even more evident:

JULY 31, 1988--Did something today I don't remember doing for a while. With Greg in tow (my six-year-old eldest son), I slid in the back door of St. Francis Catholic Church, took a seat in the enclosed family area reserved for those with rambunctious young ones and partook in Sunday services.

Bringing the whole family to church would not qualify as quality time since Greg and younger son Scott, 3, would prove so distracting that NOBODY would get any inspirational message from the service. Greg is old enough to sit still for the hour now. But after he saw all the toddlers hollering, pounding on the walls, and running here and there, he turned to me and commented, "Dad, Scott can come. All these other kids are here."

JUNE 15, 1993--Just got back from a reasonably relaxed weekend up north. But I forgot to bring home Scott's rock he picked out for me at the lake. Following in his grandfather's footsteps (grandpa being a rock collector), eight-year-old Scott occasionally collects rocks himself, and this time passed them out to family and friends. I got to pick the last one left, but Scott tried to make me feel better when he said he didn't know why nobody picked it before. "I thought that was a good one."

JUNE 8, 1998--Wendy informed Scott's drum teacher that next week's lesson will be his last for the summer. We could use the extra $15 we paid for a lesson to replenish the refrigerator instead. Wendy almost had a fit when she found her Diet Pepsi almost gone. Scott was unapologetic. "I didn't see anybody's name on it," he said matter-of-factly. Greg habitually pounds down two cans of pop at a sitting and can easily finish a 12-pack in a week or less. Let's hope for a cool summer.

JUNE 13, 2003--In the middle of the night, the phone rings. I answer it but nobody's there so I hang up. It rings again and an AT&T electronic operator asks if I want to accept a collect call. But the person on the other end doesn't give their name. So I hang up again. Wendy, who is up now too at after 3 a.m., believes the caller is Greg, who was supposed to return from "clubbing" at 2 a.m. He's not yet home. Sure enough, a third call comes through and this time Greg identifies himself as the collect caller. I accept the charges and Greg tells me that his buddy has left him stranded at a Speedway gas station in Ypsilanti. So I have to traipse out into the early morning air to retrieve him.

MAY 27, 2008--Speaking of privacy, Wendy and I are spending our first summer alone together in about a quarter century. Longer, in fact. Scott is spending the summer at an internship in East Lansing. Greg's been moved out for almost three years. We recently cleaned a lot of his old junk out of his room. It's a guest room of sorts now.

It's time to put up my weekly blog. But I'm not feeling too inspired tonight. Maybe at work tomorrow. The muse has been there sometimes at lunch.

TONIGHT--And the blog muse has been absent this week as well. Updates from two years ago . . . Scott is back home for the summer and I turned Greg's old bedroom into a media room of sorts, moving my electric piano in there as well some some books and videos.

15 Comments:

Anonymous TechnoBabe said...

This was fun reading about the goings on of your family back then. I like the spirit of the then 16 year old Greg when he said he didn't see anybody's name on it.

6:07 AM  
Anonymous Betty said...

I have been traveling down memory lane myself this week, while organizing my house. I found lots of memorabilia from my son's birth and early childhood.

Reading your past journal entries, I became as wistful as if they were my own. I don't like the idea of kids growing up and eventually committing the unthinkable act of leaving home. I'm just as upset about your sons growing up as I am about my own! How dare they grow up and leave you?! (Mine won't be starting college until 7 years from now, but I'm already furious at him for having the audacity to leave 7 years from now......)

I wonder if I need counseling of some sort.

Hugs,
Betty

9:44 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

I'm w/ Betty Dave, I think we're all feeling a bit on the nostalgic side-for us especially w/ our youngest getting married, the oldest now living out of state and our nephew turning 18 and graduating!

I was actually thinking of re-running my first blog post on the anniversary of its inception!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dike said...

Old rockhounds never die; they just slowly petrify.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

TECHNOBABE--That was actually our youngest son Scott who I was quoting there, but it could have been either one. They both had a penchant for soda in their teen years.

BETTY--Maybe you'll feel different after his rebellious teen years. But think of the bright side. Maybe one day he'll move to some place exciting and you can visit as often as you like.

CARINE--My mother once said that you know you've done your job as a parent when your kids are off on their own and doing okay. I agree with that. Especially in this day and age with the economy the way that it is.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

YOGA IN MIRRORMONT--Wasn't trying to ignore you. I just refreshed the page and I see your comment here.

I'll have to tell my dad that one and see if he agrees. Hea, since you're a musician you might appreciate that I'm learning Bach's "Prelude in C" from The Well-Tempered Clavichord on that electric piano I mentioned. Bring your cello over sometime and we'll do a duet.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dike said...

This arrangement would work well on electric piano and cello, as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-_SLW8vrTo&feature=related

8:44 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~I enjoyed your post about earlier days. What a great idea to have kept all those notes as we do
forget. The flash of brilliance doesn't last much longer than the flash. Thanks for your comments and glad you liked the jokes. I have a large fridge with freezer on top (and it is frost free and doesn't need defrosting) I also have the small freezer that nearly "done me in" I always like to hear about any sports Aussies play in, but the soccoroos are out of their depth I think. I prefer the
laocal football, Australia Rules
and watch quite a few matches a
week. My team Carlton are about halfway on the ladder.
Take care my friend,Regards, Merle.

2:22 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

YOGA IN MIRRORMONT--Very nice. But I can't sing (except maybe Hail to the Victors now and then).

MERLE--I forwarded your jokes to my wife and she appreciated them as well. Everybody needs some daily humor in their life.

I've seen Australian rules football a few times. Seems like a rough sport.

9:26 AM  
Blogger CAROLDEE said...

Dave.. Loved reading this post. As a person with 30 some years of journals I know exactly how cool it is to look back at all that and
remember the good times. It was great that you shared it with us. :)

3:20 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

how true-daughter and sil just bought a bank-owned house in AZ. Son's doing well-Yeah us!

Happy Father's Day DAve

2:23 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CAROLDEE--Thanks. It was fun too going back and reading all that stuff, even if it did make me realize how much time had passed.

CARINE--And a happy Father's Day to you too. Though it's great to hear about your daughter and sil buying that bank-owned home, it's a reminder that our economy has yet to turn around. Let's hope that comes soon too.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

That last sentence is so right! I would include Facebook posts, too.

Most of the time there is no problem, but occasionally, I've posted something that has caused a ton (or at least a few ounces) of flak! I suppose it is OK for others to leave opposing opinions, but at times I wonder about what are "the rules." My blog, my FB page are mine. I can't help but wonder if those folks would say the same things to my face in my house?

If I disagree with someone in person or in cyber, I usually just move on. Seems simple enough.

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your memory and or facts tell a very broad recollection of the truth......

6:28 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Don't we just love criticism by good old annony-mouse

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home