Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Show Me The Tuaca

I've been blogging now for almost five years. Four and half to be exact. I've written poems, posted pictures, written stories both humorous and serious. But there's one thing I've not done yet, but many of my blogging buddies have.

So today I'm going to post a recipe . . . of sorts anyway. My wife Wendy got this particular drink recipe from her sister Sue in Kansas. What I like about it is that it doesn't involve the tedious task of measuring out ingredients. Why do recipes have to have exactly a third cup of this or a half cup of that?

My wife found out just tonight that using a third cup of milk instead of a half-cup made a big difference in her no-bake cookies. This batch she cooked with a third cup of milk did not hold together and the cookies pretty much fell apart, including all four that I ate.

So this recipe that I'm about to post isn't that fickle about measuring out ingredients. However, there may be one ingredient that will be difficult to find. Well, make that two. One of the ingredients is apple cider and now that the apple-picking season is over here in Michigan, fresh cider may be difficult to come by. But for the sake of this blog, make believe it's plentiful.

The other ingredient is Tuaca. It's pronounced "two", then aca, rhymes with caca, which is something anybody who's ever changed a baby is familiar with. I'm not sure I spelled that right. My spellchecker says it's wrong and has suggested either "cache" or "cacao." I know neither of those if right.

My wife and I made a Christmas getaway shopping trip to Grand Rapids this past weekend. It felt like Christmas there in more ways than one since there was no snow in Ann Arbor when we left, but plenty piled high and deep in Grand Rapids.

We stopped at a liquor store and Wendy asked the clerk who interrupted our browsing if he had any Tuaca. He headed for his wine collection. But we said it wasn't wine, though we weren't exactly sure what it was in fact.

He said he wasn't familiar with it but would check the internet. Fine, we thought. But then he asked for a phone number where he could call us back. What?! Was he going home to look it up on his personal PC? We told him we were only in town till Sunday morning, and gave him Wendy's cell phone number.

We didn't think we would hear back from him and, in a way, we didn't. Wendy never heard her phone ring but the next morning she discovered an unplayed message on her cell phone. It was the clerk who said he'd determined that Tuaca was an Italian liquer and that they indeed did stock it. Unfortunately, the store didn't open till noon. We would be long gone by then.

So after arriving back in Ann Arbor, I went to a local liquor store, scanned the top shelf and found a bottle within a few seconds. If that clerk in Grand Rapids hadn't interrupted our browsing, no doubt we would have found it ourselves. As I purchased my Tuaca, I asked the cashier if he would have known he had it in stock if I'd asked for it by name.

"I know 99 percent of what I stock," he said confidently. Then he added, "As long as the customer pronounces it correctly." Good point. I kept telling Wendy that we were looking for "El Guapo." Don't know where I got that from, but I don't believe it's a liquer.

Moral of the story? For the salesman, leave the customer alone and he may find what he's looking for without your help.

Oh, that recipe. Almost forgot. Add a shot or so (whatever) of El Guapo, excuse me, Tuaca to a mug of hot apple cider. Stir with a cinnamon stick and top with fresh whipped cream. It's a delectable holiday potable, especially on those cold winter evenings here in Michigan.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Enforcer said...

How much is "or so" and how big is the mug?

5:32 AM  
Anonymous BDDAD said...

Just curious, did you drink the tuaca, before or after you wrote this blog?

6:30 AM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

Fingers don't obey this early in the morning.

I meant to say: "Sounds interesting. And for the record, "or so" means, "to your own preference," so I'm thinking it could be a mug of cider with a shot or so of cider, too!"

And for the record, the fingers are just sleepy, not impaired by too much tuaca last night!

8:18 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

I for one love hot cider and a cinnamon stick. wish I could add the el Guapo, but I know that's not going to happen.

sigh

8:59 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

ENFORCER--"Or so" is a shot/jigger. If you want stronger, make it two shots. A mug is a coffee mug size. That's what we did. Of course, if you REALLY want it strong, add a shot of hot cider to a mug of Tuaca.

BDDAD--We had some a couple nights ago, so it was before I wrote the blog. We were wondering whether we should re-use the cinnamon sticks since they didn't dissolve and they're expensive. The vote was to re-use.

LYNILU--LOL, thanks for responding to the Enforcer nearly the same way I did. Great blogging minds think alike.

CARINE--Honestly, El Guapo is pretty expensive stuff. And I'm not sure I even tasted it. Maybe better without, eh.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous cassie-b said...

We'll have to try it. And we have apple cider in our refrigerator. Now to get the Tuaca. And we also have cinnamon sticks and whipped cream.

Thanks.

Cas

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't El Guapo the bad guy in The Three Amigos?

1:37 PM  
Blogger CiCi said...

That does sound good but we wouldn't have it at our house because we don't drink alcohol. But I can think of some ways to use hot apple cider and cinnamon. I think you are right that sometimes if the sales person just acknowledges you and lets you browse you will find something on your own.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous caroldee said...

HI.. we didn't get the blizzard Dave.. it is still farther west of us here. We have slippery roads and high wind and only minor accumulations as of 6pm tonight. Hope that blizzard stays away!!
Have a great holiday with your family. : )
I had fun with the kitty!! : D

4:24 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CASSIE--Yeah, I'm not sure that Tuaca is something that most people would just have in their pantry cupboard.

ANONYMOUS--Could be right. I think it's a brand of tequila too.

TECHNOBABE--Wonder if there is a non-alcoholic counterpart to Tuaca. You know, they have non-alcoholic beer. You think they would come up with non-alcoholic liquor.

CAROLDEE--Sometimes I don't believe those weathermen.

3:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ut oh...Cold winter's night....Shots of Tuaca....Dave...Wendy....sounds like trouble to me or a savage game of "Battleship"

4:29 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Enjoy your Tuaca with the cider. Sounds interesting.
Thanks for your comments and I am glad you enjoyed the golf joke etc.
I am so sorry you lost your brother
so early at 48. I also lost a dear friend at 54 from heart attack.
I must buy some aspirin, just in case.
I haven't heard about a giant iceberg heading our way. I live inland, but I hope the coastline doesn't suffer too much damage.
Take care Dave, and I wish you and
Wendy a wonderful Christmas and
Health and Happiness in 2010.
Regards, Merle.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

It sounds like a pretty cool recipe, Dave. We're still waiting for a cold evening here in Tampa. It should be in the low 60s, but it's 76 right now. Global warming has arrived (or late?) at my house.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Hi Dave and Wendy..... Sorry if I haven't been blogging much lately... Been busy and doing Facebook now. Good to see you are still around. Your recipe sounds good....Glad you were able to find everything without help.... Have a great Christmas.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

ANONYMOUS--The only Battleship game Wendy and I might play is up at my parents' cabin. And nobody goes up there on a cold winter's night. That would be roughing it to the nth degree.

MERLE--That iceberg might cause trouble for shipping but I don't think it will damage the coastline.

FRED--We had lots of rain here last night, but it ultimately froze on the ground and on the roads. Very hazardous driving in spots.

LUCY--Good to see you back. I seed you posting on Fred's Facebook there. I'm on Facebook, but not too much. Still more of a blogger.

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home