Sunday, October 04, 2009

And I Was Right :-(

This was the week of the 'backyard brawl' between Michigan State University and my beloved University of Michigan Wolverines. Since MSU's Spartan football team has stumbled so far this year, they were out for blood--particularly since the undefeated U of M would have to play in East Lansing's Spartan stadium.

Of course, this is the rivalry that splits family and friends. A good example would be me and my long-time friend and high school chum Bob. He's an MSU alum while I've always supported the maize 'n blue. We live cross-country and haven't seen eachother in about a decade but regularly e-mail eachother. Sports is a touchy subject. Witness the e-mails we exchanged this past week leading up to the big game.

I should preface this by saying that we often try to build up the other guy's chances. That way, if our favorite team doesn't win, well, at least we predicted correctly:

Dave,
Just one question this morning. Come on I want a prediction for this weekend, in time for me to reply to. So lets hear it Mr. Replacement Sports Guy?
Bob


Bob,
I hear bookies are saying MSU is a one to three-point favorite and that sounds about right. MSU should squeak one out. They're back to this mode of just trying to win the battle of the state rather than make any noise nationally.
Dave


Dave,
MSU the favorite? Are you nuts, 4-0 vs. 1-3. That's it, you are no longer a credible source in this conversation (if you ever were). I'm not sure if my mother's hysteria over every Detroit Tiger pitch, did I tell you I get frantic phone calls when things are going bad in Tigerland, or my exasperation with your waffling or sandbagging will do me in first. So now even if the Spartans beat the UM IT WAS expected. Breathe Bob, breathe. Someone call 911, dammit I can't feel my arm . . . .I can't find a pulse . . . . CLEARRRRRRRRRRR
Bob


Bob,
The line is MSU by one to three points. This is the line from Las Vegas, from guys whose livelihoods depend on making correct predictions. I didn't make MSU the favorite. They did! I just agree with the experts. YOU'RE the sandbagger in all this. As my green-leaning supervisor pointed out yesterday, MSU's collective opponents' record is 12-3. U of M's is 8-7. You've played tougher competition, on the road yet! Wonder if there's a 12-step program for sandbaggers. If so, I'm signing you up.
Dave


Dave,
No one in their right mind thinks the Spartans are going to win. They could and I hope they do but come on. And have you stopped to think how Vegas odds work Dave? Look it up. It's not about picking favorites its about getting people to bet. Are you willing to bet the farm on MSU? Wisconsin is better than Indiana but we both played Notre Dame with different outcomes and we've played other bums on both sides, difference being you beat the bums and we didn't. I have a call in to our old journalism teacher Mr. Braendle--objectivity Dave, objectivity.

And when you sling mud, Dave you have to come up with your own mud you can't just borrow mine. "You're a weenie." "No, you're a weenie." What are we two-year-olds.
Bob


You get the picture. I disagree about the reference to two two-year-olds though. Probably two two-year-olds arguing would sound a bit more mature.

Anyway, when the dust had cleared this weekend, MSU had squeaked out a victory in overtime, just as I had predicted. Well, Bob and his Spartans may get bragging rights this year. But at least I can say I was right.

:-( *sniff*

8 Comments:

Blogger CiCi said...

Being right is the whole ball game, so you are the winner in this one.

6:11 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

I'm w/ TechnoBabe on this one Dave.
;-)

9:57 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

TECHNOBABE/CARINE--Being right is good, but I sure wish I had been wrong this time.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ One of the few times we would like to be WRONG!! There is always next time or ir it next year?
The lamb and veggies and mint sauce are tasting yummy. Glad you liked the joke about washing the Tee-shirt
with OHIO STATE on it. I don't think he did much laundry.
Take care, Regards, Merle.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi again Dave ~~ I see you got Maukie the cat up on your side-bar - - Well done. Cheers, Merle.

10:00 PM  
Anonymous SPARTY said...

Hello, Dave! Just stopping by to give you an unvoiced linguolabial trill!

Feeling a little GREEN around the gills?

3:33 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

MERLE--I was surprised they even have Ohio State jokes down under. Yes, I finally got Maukie to come over here, but his name doesn't show up on my blog. Gotta figure that one out.

SPARTY--"Unvoiced linguolabial trill?" Sounds obscene. Then again nothing could be as obscene as MSU beating my U of M. But how about my alma mater, the CMU Chippewas, taking down your Spartans. That gave me a trill, er, thrill.

3:45 AM  
Blogger amarkonmywall said...

Do I know Sparty? Why, I believe I do. Michigan sports are slumping like the economy this week...

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home