Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I'm Grateful For . . .

A blogging buddy wrote a list last week of what she was grateful for and suggested it as a topic for her fellow bloggers. Sounds good to me with Thanksgiving approaching. I'll take a shot here.

But I think I'll shorten my list so I can give a bit more detail. And I'll exclude some of the more obvious blessings that people are generally thankful for--family, friends, life, health, home, God, church, and that all important job.

Some things I've been grateful for lately:

FREE INTERNET WEBSITES: Didn't somebody say the best things in life are free? I can look up pretty much anything on Google, Yahoo and Wikipedia. I trade pictures with friends on Facebook, tell my life's stories on Blogger, and play my favorite music on YouTube. And there's still so much more out there.

MY SCHWINN BICYCLE: I don't mind spending a couple hours on a pleasant summer morning driving around the city on my bicycle. It's relaxing, I occasionally can spot and pick up a dime or quarter, and it scores brownie points with my doctor. When I was a kid, riding a bike felt like being a cowboy on a pony. Sometimes it still feels like that.

MICHIGAN FRUITS AND VEGETABLES: No offense to southern or western states, but there's nothing tastier in my book than a Michigan apple. Wendy and I discovered a fruit farm nearby that's open almost till Christmas. We bought a peck of McIntosh a couple weeks ago and I honestly can't remember having an apple so tasty and juicy. And it's going into the Thanksgiving stuffing Wendy's making on Thursday too. Michigan corn and tomatoes rank high on my tastemeter as well.

SCIENCE FICTION MOVIES: Not long ago I was browsing the DVD shelves at Best Buy and came across the movie Battle in Outer Space. That set off a light bulb upstairs. I had been looking for that movie for a while since I had determined that it was the first sci-fi movie I had even seen at the local theatre, when I was about seven or so. Going to the movies on Sunday became a regular affair and most often the movie was horror or science fiction epic. I still enjoy the genre today, having just seen most recently the movies 2012 and Planet 51.

WRITTEN MEMORIES: I've kept track of my comings and goings now for better than 20 years, in scrapbooks, journals, e-mails, etc. Many of these I still have stuffed away in a notebook somewhere. Reading back through these, I can recall for my wife what our children were doing on a particular day 20 years ago. Or what restaurant we ate at when we went to Alabama ten years ago.

BLOG COMMENTS: Of course, I read and enjoy all the comments I receive. I've always thought blogging buddies as a rule are as sympathetic and supportive a group as you'll find in life. But I also enjoy the occasional blog comment I find on an older blog that I've forgotten about. Some blog surfer within the past couple days came across an old blog from four months back where I talked about sampling food borne of my Polish heritage. They responded with a comment about some czarnina they sampled at a cafe near Buffalo, New York. And I was grateful that they had shared that.

Finally, I'm grateful that I don't have to cook the turkey this week. Wife Wendy is handling that. But I am doing my share of cleaning for the company to arrive.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lynilu said...

I hope your Thanksgiving is wonderful, Dave!

9:40 PM  
Blogger CiCi said...

Hi Dave, this is a great post. I especially like the way you describe your bike and riding the bike. My hubby rides his bike, sure wish we lived closer to you so you two could ride together. I don't ride my bike much these days. I will have to share your idea of bike riding being like a cowboy on a pony with hubby, he will appreciate it. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Wendy and your family!

5:01 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

loved this post Dave! i'm grateful for so very much this year-both kids and their mates are working at good jobs, so is hubby, i'm writing ($$ is still one of my wishes), son is in his new home, daughter in a decent one-and my new bathrooms and a crew that should be out by hanukah.

sigh on the last one....

2:55 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Great post for thanksgiving and I enjoyed reading it. I like that you have kept a journal of sorts of who is doing what and it is good to refer back to that.
Thanks for your comments and I am glad you enjoy it. I hadn't heard about the rogue kangaroo. It happens every now and again. Had a great time while Peter was here as usual.
And I try to be thankful every day
for the blessings in my life.
Happy Thanksgiving Dave and family
Regards, Merle.

2:49 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LYNILU--It's wonderful just to have a two-day break from work, but thanks. You have a great holiday too.

TECHNOBABE--Well, your post inspired mine, so thanks for the inspiration. It's not always easy coming up with blog topics.

CARINE--Writing for $$ is one of my dreams too. It can happen. My wife just got done reading a book published recently by one of my blogging buddies. I just finished some tile work in mhy own bathroom. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't all fall apart in a week or two.

MERLE--You can certainly be thankful for having such a loving and supportive family. I enjoy reading about them in your blog there.

5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not thankful for all those mock drafts, eh?

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will not agree on it. I regard as warm-hearted post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to review the unscathed story.

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home