Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Down And Out

My supervisor interrupted my lunch yesterday to offer this comment:

"Did you know the 45 points that Wisconsin scored against Michigan on Saturday was the most points they ever scored against the Wolverines in the 73 years they've played eachother?"

No. Didn't know that. But my boss, who is a big fan of the rival Michigan State Spartans, has been making remarks like that often during this dismal football season when the Michigan Wolverines are ensconced at the bottom of the Big Ten.

"What do you call a bunch of Wolverine fans in the basement? A whine cellar."

Yeah, funny bossman. True, guys like me have been doing a lot of whining. And for me, it's a double whammy lately since my fantasy football team is nearly on the bottom of our family league, my play-off hopes all but gone now.

But who would kick a guy when he's down, right? Everybody, it appears. I got an e-mail from my buddy in Virginia, also a MSU Spartan fan, that included this line: "So it's payback time here. . . Here are the Wolverines dead last in the Big Ten conference."

What?? His e-mail correspondence for several years now has dogged my fav Michigan teams. Cheaters, overrated, criminals--he's called them every name in the book. So I responded back:

"Payback time?! Oh, c'mon. When have you ever needed a special time to heap abuse on my Wolverines? That's like Rush Limbaugh suddenly declaring that it's payback time for liberals on his radio show."

Or, for those who read the comments on my blog here, it'd be like Bonnie aka Babette suddenly declaring here, "It's payback time."

But, heck, I don't have any control over the destiny of my favorite college football team. But I thought I would have some control over the destiny of my fantasy football team. I read sports magazines, watch the Yahoo fantasy preview on my computer Sunday, check regularly for updates during the week and I practiced my drafting skills with several mock drafts during the pre-season.

So what to do when your teams are tanking. Then I check my Facebook page and I see this public comment from my brother, who posts here as The Enforcer: "Let's go Lions. Clap, clap, clap-clap-clap."

What?? Sombody's still cheering on our hapless Detroit Lions who have won just one game over the past two years? Now that takes some unbridled optimism. But despite my brother's cyber-encouragement, the Lions lost another game. Hmmm, my brother is also taking some powerful pain-killers for a back ailment.

Ah, so that's the answer then. Gimme drugs, gimme drugs.

13 Comments:

Blogger CiCi said...

This is some good writing in this post. I'm not into sports anymore so I don't keep track of either college or professional teams. But I do enjoy the joshing and competition. Have fun with it.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

I'm also not into sports Dave, but I'm sorry you've been "dogged"-and as you know, I can relate about the back pain and the drugs.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

TECHNOBABE--It's more fun when you can do some joshing cause your team wins once in a while.

CARINE--It's been a while since my back has gone out *knock on wood*. When I was younger, I remember once having to stay in bed nearly a month with back problems.

3:47 AM  
Anonymous Enforcer said...

My back is getting better and I'm scaling down on the meds thank you. I'm an optimist and hope someday that Bryce's grandchildren will be able to see the Lions win the Super Bowl.

5:25 AM  
Anonymous cassie-b said...

I just got a request as a friend in face book from big dave the blogger. Is that you?

3:04 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

When D3 figures out where she's going to college, rooting for the home team will become even more confusing.

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Victor said...

Let's Go BLUE!!!!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

ENFORCER--So Bryce's grandchildren might see the Lions in the Super Bowl? Bryce isn't five years old yet. So, yeah, that's about right.

CASSIE--Yeah, that's me. How many big Dave the blogger can there be? Well, there are a few others. But they don't post on Facebook so far as I know.

FRED--Man, three kids in college. I hope your college savings fund holds out. I hear expenses are climbing rapidly.

VICTOR--Go Blue??!! This can't be Vic. Must be some alien who's taken over his body. Well, if it makes him a Michigan man, works for me.

4:09 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Big Dave... at least you have some where to turn to on Sunday when the college team has a bad Saturday. ~ jb///

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right, that was not me. Nice blow out on Gramps bye the way. I thought you were done for. Never count out the blog, huh.

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Bonnie aka Babette said...

Since you alluded to me by name(s), I shall only mention that SPARTANS use "ensconced" because they know stuff.

And, only 3 in college?! No whining allowed!

Yoga is better than drugs for the back pain, by the way.

Happy Thanksgiving, Big Dave and Wendy!

10:59 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LZ--The Lions?? Surely you must be joking.

ANONYMOUS--So this is Vic, eh. I knew that having a body-snatching alien take over your body was too good to be true.

BONNIE--True, Spartans know all about being ENSCONCED at the bottom of the league. We Wolverines aren't so well versed in such stuff so thanks for pointing that out. I made the correction.

The Enforcer do yoga? Love to see that.

You and your crew have a great holiday too.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ I would never kick a guy when his team is down. Because my team won 2 wooden spoons for coming last a couple of years ago. They have improved somewhat, as yours probably will. Keep on supporting them. Cheers, Merle.

2:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home