Monday, November 09, 2009

Are You A Collector?

I'm a collector. How about you? Do you have collections of coins, stamps or trading cards sitting around in a closet somewhere? Maybe a collection of china or stuffed animals of one breed or another?

My own collections are shown in pictures below. I've been gatheringg these "treasures" since childhood and they sort of represent my interests at the time.

When I was a kid I was a big fan of the spy movies, whether it was James Bond, The Man From Uncle, or Matt Helm. At one time I had the complete collection of Thunderball trading cards, but somewhere along the way lost track of a bunch. I still have most of them, some of which are pictured here.

I've tried to convince by boys that these will be worth a fortune someday. They're not convinced, however.

Also during my youth, I started a penny collection. I have quite of few "wheat" pennies of various year and mint marks, mostly because I made a list of which ones I needed and passed that list along to my sister-in-law when Christmas came.

Now she has protested that the remaining pennies on my list are fairly rare and if she bought just one, that would be my one and only Christmas present. Maybe for years to come.

When my wife and I were just married, I would haunt the video game parlors for a little fun and relaxation. Hence, the arcade token collection. Note that I wrote on each coinholder the name and location of the arcade. Again, I've told my sons they'll be worth lots someday. Again, I believe they are unconvinced.

I also collected matchbooks from restaurants where the family and I have gone. That interest has waned since restaurants often do not offer smoking areas, let alone matchbooks.

Finally, there is my collection of magnetic clings picturing lighthouses that have figured somehow into one vacation or another. Of course, Little Sable Lighthouse is represented there since we have tent-camped at nearby Silver Lake for about a dozen years. But the annual craft show booth where I used to find these magnetic clings no longer is there. *sigh*

Now I have to find something else to collect, I guess.























19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you collected all of the state quarters? They have a few new quarters this year including...American Samoa and U.S. Virgin Islands. Some of them including a rare Wisconsin quarter are worth hundreds of dollars.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

I've collected various things through the years, but I usually lose interest before it is complete or before it gets out of hand. I guess I'm a bad collector, aren't I?

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is your fantasy football trophy collection.....uh yeah, I forgot sorry.

5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On ebay, individual 1966 Thunderball cards are starting out from $.50 to $10.00. But the display box the cards came in with no cards even, is selling for $350

7:31 AM  
Blogger CiCi said...

The matchbook collection brought back so many memories. We used to have hundreds of those from all the places we ate and visited. Who would know that matchbooks could be so fun? I wanted to collect coins like you have in the collector books but never did. At one time I collected tea cups and saucers, had quite a few and passed them on to one of my daughters. The only collection I still have is angels. For many years the only decoration on my Christmas tree is angels from all over. I would buy angels to hang on the tree in my travels so they have special meaning for me and I so enjoy placing them on the tree each year.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

ANONYMOUS--No, never did get into that one. Our son collected those quarters for quite some time but I just asked him today and he said he doesn't do it anymore. He says he needs a new book.

LYNILU--Considering that I don't have a complete collection of anything either, I don't consider that a bad thing. What I would LOVE to find is just a few of the civil war cards that I collected as a kid. I used to have some but they disappeared.

ANONYMOUS--I have one fantasy football trophy. That's more than a lot of fantasy owners have.

ANONYMOUS--My Thunderball cards aren't in great shape, so they're probably worth the 50 cents.

TECHNOBABE--Christmas Angels! That's a new one for me. My wife has a small collection of Christmas village shops, homes, etc.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How old is that Burger King matchbook?

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! Look at all the junk we are going to have to throw away.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous cassie-b said...

I found out quite by accident that I am a collector of scissors. One day some years ago, I realized how many pairs and how many types of scissors I have. I think someday they will be worth not very much.

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Enforcer said...

You should have collected gold coins, they might be worth a little something!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

wow, cool Dave! I'd actually like to collect Indian artifacts, used too. ran out of money after about the 2nd purchase though.

another thing on the list of must dos when I get a moment away from reality!

7:34 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

ANONYMOUS--I have no idea how old that BK matchbook is but a lot of the matchbooks I have are from restaurants that are now defunct.

ANONYMOUS--Yeah, well maybe I'll pass it along to my nephews. They're more able to see the value.

CASSIE--You'll have to look up your scissors on E-bay. That's what I do to check value.

ENFORCER--Hea bro', never mind the gold, do you have some of my Thunderball cards? I know you had my baseball cards.

CARINE--That's why I collect cheap stuff, like pinball tokens and matchbooks. It doesn't break my bank.

4:01 AM  
Anonymous Enforcer said...

I sleep with my Thunderball cards under my pillow every night. I have some oversized Detroit Tigers cards that I think we got through a Coca Cola contest but there not worth much.

8:18 AM  
Blogger just me said...

Hi Dave - I think collecting is good. I wish I had stuck to something. I would start but it never stuck and eventually I would get overwhelmed by the clutter and ditch it all.
I am much more into sparsity now than collecting. But collecting tells a story. It leaves a presence of who you are and what makes you - you.
Hope you are well. I've been off blogging for a while. You know that darn thing life gets in the way.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

ENFORCER--Yeah, those Tiger cards aren't worth much. I'll trade you Matt Hasselbeck for them. You need a back-up QB anyway for your fantasy team.

SIMPLY ME--I know all about life. But I imagine life in the Big Apple is more complicated. Nice to hear from you again. Hope all is well there.

3:53 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ You are a bit of a worry
getting that Psycho test right. But I'll take a chance!!!
That was a sad story about the drunk driver. It is nice that we all remember our servicemen and
women on the same day.
Ours originated because WW1 ended on the 11th November 1918. But it includes who has ever served in all the wars since and the current peace-keepers and those in a war currently. They are all in our prayers. Regards, Merle.

3:32 AM  
Anonymous Beeg Tymas said...

I have a small collection of pint glasses from various brew pubs and restaurants. There is a catch though; I have to get them for free. I have 2 glasses I got at restaurants for dining on my birthday. I have 2 more for a special Oktoberfest promotion. 2 for attending various microbrew events. And one more for shopping downtown Traverse City on "Men’s Night". Men’s Night happens during the week of Christmas where various stores offer beer to the guys looking for last minute gifts.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

MERLE--And, shame on us, we forgot to put our flag out on Veteran's Day.

BEEG--Wondering if some of those glasses came courtesy of your brother one way or another. We have one souvenir brewery mug, from Lily's Seafood Grill and Brewery from around Detroit. We got it free at the summer beer festival in Ypsi a few years back.

3:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surprised there are no Frog Island brew mugs at the Talaga residence.

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home