Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I'll Be Immune For Xmas

Ordinarily, getting my yearly flu shot isn't a problem. My doctor suggests my getting one since my age and health warrants it. Fine, no problem. Usually come October he tells me the seasonal flu vaccine has come in and--poke--I'm good to go.

This year, with the H1N1 scare and all, I thought I better ask HIM come October. When I did, I was told that their supply of vaccine hadn't arrived yet, but they would notify me. The nurse wrote my name and phone number on a scrap piece of paper there at her desk. Hmmmmm, I love a doctor's office that's well organized, especially when it comes to matters life and death.

So by late November, no call from the doc's office. I called them. They said they had no vaccine and had no idea when they were getting their supply. Instead, they were referring their patients to the local drug store or health department. Wonderful. I wonder if the nurse wrote their vaccine supply order on another scrap of paper and filed it next to mine.

No problem, I thought. They were offering a flu clinic at work. I could get both the H1N1 and the seasonal flu vaccines at the same time--poke, poke, good to go. Only those with chronic conditions were eligible for the H1N1, we were told. Fine, that's me.

On the appointed day, the line for the flu vaccine stretched down the hall. No problem. I assumed they had plenty and waited a while. By the time I got in line, I was told they were out of H1N1 flu vaccine. What?? "Are there that many sickos in the building," I asked my supervisor. Apparently, they were not screening to see who truly qualified. Anybody who asked for the H1N1 innoculation got one.

Great. So I decided to go to employee health service instead so I could get both shots--poke, poke, good to go. It was my first time at employee health. Though I'm considered chronic, I'm rarely sick. Go figure. I got right behind this lady, who had various health issues. Interesting, but let's move it along lady, eh.

Then they gave me a clipboard, told me to fill out some forms, then come back. Upon returning to the receptionist, there's somebody ahead of me. Then I saw somebody standing quite far behind us. Is there a line? THEN I see a sign behind me, "In order to protect patient privacy, please form a line here and wait until the person ahead of you is finished."

Whoops! Didn't know that. Well, that first lady didn't have any REALLY personal issues. And I finally ended up getting doubled poked. Good to go. However, the anti-bodies from the vaccine don't kick in for another 10 days. I'll be immune for Christmas . . . maybe.

Afterwards, in the news I see that hundreds of thousands of vaccine doses have been recalled in our area, since the vaccine may be too weak to be effective.

*sigh* So as in the Christmas carol, I'll be immune for Christmas, if only in my dreams.

12 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Hallmark should make a card for that in keeping with the times.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

I hear you on the swine flu shot DAve. My rheumy told me I had to get the darn thing. Had the regular one, no problem. and yes, they did a "drive thru" and it took my hubby and I about an hour to do the maze the hospital had created.

But I have yet to get the one I need. seems there was supposed to be more than enough in November.

Like you-I'm hoping to be immune for Christmas-but I know I'd better just stay away from any and all activity and stay here in my office.

9:27 PM  
Blogger CiCi said...

Funny you should mention it. Yesterday I drove hubby to the clinic for his appointment and on the way home he asked me what I thought about getting the flu shots, that the doctor had suggested he get them. He told her he would let her know next visit. He and I had been back and forth about it the past few months and I finally told him I had decided not to get flu shots. I haven't had a flu shot in lots of years. I know, I am a senior citizen now but I don't have a chronic illness but hubby has asthma and meds for bipolar disorder so maybe he should have the shots. Oh shoot, this is getting too much like work, and I don't work any longer. Glad it worked out for you to get both shots though, even if you had to hang in there and ride the big waves. Merry Christmas to you, Wendy, and your family!

6:10 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

JAN--A card that isn't too expensive too. I just can't understand how some Xmas cards can ring up to $5 and more. It's just paper, isn't it?

CARINE--I went to my doctor's this week with my wife and NOW they have the flu vaccine. Can you imagine what it would be like if this truly were a deadly pandemic? Pan-demonium.

TECHNOBABE--My wife doesn't need a flu shot, but she insists I get one. That way, if she does get the flu, it won't be from me.

Merry Christmas to you and your's too.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

I'm stubborn. I've never had a flu shot and even as a teacher, I won't start now. Hope it doesn't come back to bite me.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Dave.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I won't get a flu shot either.... I have heard too many conflicting stories about the vaccine, so I won't get one... So far, so good...

Hope you and your family have a great Christmas....That includes Grandpa and the Enforcer....lol.

5:50 PM  
Anonymous bonnie said...

Yogis shun the call for flu shots,
Opting, instead, for neti pots.

Happy Flu Year! Happy Gold and Blue Year!

2:20 PM  
Blogger amarkonmywall said...

How did that work out for you? Here (on the best of heels) to wish you the best of the season as well! I've noticed signs down here lately at Walgrens and CVS advertising H1N1 shots after none in the area for quite a while. Dan couldn't get one anywhere in Ann Arbor even though he fell into a risk category with his congenital heart issues. But we're also not hearing that much about people having the flu right now- is it on the wane up there as well (I hope).

Anyway, we were happy enough just to get a Cobra stimulus extension for Christmas. Remember the good old days when all you wanted was your two front teeth?

Enjoyed the tree post- can't wait to have a REAL tree next year in NC. Cheers, Dave and thanks for another year of keeping me in touch with home town news.

5:22 AM  
Anonymous cassie-b said...

We got our shots, but it wasn't as easy as other years. Don got his just 2 weeks before getting on a plane to California. So he was just barely covered.

He did arrive home healthy.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

FRED--As a teacher, you've probably already built up immunity to most bugs that kids carry into the classroom. If you can do without, that's good.

LUCY--I hear those same stories too. But I want to keep my primary care doctor happy.

BONNIE--I hear yoga can be as painful as a flu shot. My nephew's wife has taken it up and discusses things like "knee-lock." Sounds pretty painful to me.

VICKIE--So far so good. No flu and no further word on recalls. Guess I'm in the clear. But true, there seems to be less flu going around anyway. People are careful with hygiene this year.

CASSIE--Usually getting a flu shot is a snap. Not so this year.

4:02 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Big Dave ~ I am glad you said immune FOR Christmas and not FROM Christmas! I hope you guys had a GREAT Christmas and that 2010 will be an awesome year for you all! ~ jb///

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sexchat

private amateure

sex webcam

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home