Monday, September 14, 2009

On Vacation But . . .

Wendy and I are in Nova Scotia today (Monday) but since we have wi-fi at our motel here, I thought I would try to blog anyway.

After this past Saturday, how could I not? Two exciting football wins for my favorite teams. First, my alma mater Central Michigan scored a thrilling last second upset over Michigan State. Then my ultra fav U of M Wolverines came back in equally a-maizing fashion with a last-minute victory over the Irish.

I have to admit however, I missed the crucial moment in each. We had met up with my boys, and my daughter-in-law Lindsay in Ithaca, where Scott is going to college now. We went to a sports bar where we caught some of MSU versus Central. But when we checked in at our motel later, I'd forgotten about the game until I heard Greg yelling from his adjoining room. Like me, Greg is an alumnus of Central Michigan.

Greg had just seen our Chippewas make a remarkable comeback in the closing seconds. In case, anyone missed it, Central recovered an on-side kick, then drove the field before scoring a winning field goal.

Then I booked a dinner cruise on one of the Finger Lakes. We had to leave the Michigan game with U of M in front by almost two touchdowns. Game's in the bag anyway, I thought.

But Notre Dame came back and went ahead, so we heard on the car radio. Then we had to board our boat. How could we keep up with the game now? Fortunately, Greg had a friend who was at the game. He sent occasional texts to Greg to keep us abreast.

Michigan took the lead. "How much time left?" Greg texted. We figured the game to be over as our cruise commenced. He heard back--lots of time left in the fourth quarter.

Then another text followed, "The bad guys went ahead." Dang! Go Blue!!! Then another text followed--Michigan's quarterback was leading them back. Great. It was very hard waiting. Time passed. More time passed. And no more texts.

"No news is bad news," I said. The game had to be nearly over.

Then Greg got a one-word text message. "TOUCHDOWN." But who scored? Was the game over? Finally after a little bit, he got another message, "GO BLUE." That gave us a big clue. Then later we heard that the big house in Ann Arbor was rockin.'

Wow! One of the biggest football victories in Ann Arbor in quiet some time, and we had to be in the middle of Seneca Lake. But I have a whole new respect for cell phones and texting now. Viva la information age. And go blue.

15 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

There has to be some consolation to you for being a *cough* Lions fan. :)

6:33 PM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

Dave, sorry about the football but you and Wendy have a great time and come back w/ some of your great pictures-I've never seen Nova Scotia and would love to see your "take" on the scenary!

7:38 PM  
Blogger CiCi said...

Sooo, did you enjoy the dinner cruise and how is it in Nova Scotia?

4:32 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

JAN--It already looks like it's going to be a tough season for the Lions. I barely even watch them anymore. Have more fun things to do, like watch paint dry.

CARINE--Remember I'm not that good a photographer. I've been trying to take some good photos, but nothing stands out yet. The best picture so far is one I took of my fish cakes breakfast.

TECHNOBABE--I really did enjoy the dinner cruise. I particularly liked the mix of oldes and REAL oldies that the DJ played. He even played Bob Hope's "Thanks for the Memories" from beginning to end.

Nova Scotia is interesting. A lot of different influences here--French, Scotch, English, American, etc.

7:00 PM  
Blogger JennyMac said...

Hope the trip is great...and of course, my Hub also watches football on vacation.

10:31 AM  
Blogger CAROLDEE said...

OMG Dave that must have been agonizing waiting like that. Wonderful that someone was nice enough to let you know what the heck was going on. I admit I saw the end of the Mich game. WOW!
Only reason NASCAR coming up next LOL!!!
Regis spoke on his show today about the state game against ND
this weekend. He sounded frightened to say the least.
LoL State a force to be reckoned with! have a great weekend looks like we will have another one..how good does it get?!!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I sure hope you've enjoyed your vacation.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting via Peter's blog.
I am not posting very regularly lately, so I'm really just hit and miss in Blogdom for the foreseeable future.

:-)

1:28 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

JENNY MAC--There's also fantasy football too. I just finished tweaking my line-up while here in Nova Scotia.

CAROLDEE--While waiting for a car ferry near a small town up here in Canada, some guy got out of his car, came up to me and said, "How did you like that Notre Dame game?" He saw my Michigan license plates.

JAMIE DAWN--Vacation's been fun so far. Still a few days to go. Tomorrow is Louisburg where there's an old fortress.

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought maybe you could not check your fantasy team, seeing that I have you to beat this week, I better make sure I have my better players in the game.
Dad

6:15 AM  
Blogger B.S. said...

Well, at least you were in one of my favorite areas on earth during your missed victory. Greg's friend is darned loyal to be willing to worry about texting during all of that excitement!

If I had to predict where my son would end up going to college, I'd predict Ithaca. I took him there 2 years ago (when he was 10) for a seminar I was attending, and he loved that campus. He still talks about it. I hope he does, because my hometown is Binghamton, a short drive from Ithaca, and the roots grow deeper the older I get.

Hugs,
Betty

1:26 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

DAD--Getting ready to check my fantasy line-up right now. I don't think I need to change anything though. It looks like an easy 'w' for me.

BETTY--We drove through Binghamton and I remember that because there was a polka program playing on the radio. That's something you don't hear everywhere.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Hey Dave. Long time, no blog. (Me, that is.) It took me a bit to catch up on the posts I missed. I loved the "de-clutter" comment. Now that 2/3 are in college, The Missus and I are getting rid of lots of stuff.

Hope you enjoyed Nova Scotia!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Nankin said...

I have to say I'm not a football fan, but I hear it from Jimbob all the time. Glad your teams won.

How about some pictures of the vacation?

11:15 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Big Dave ~ Ah... the best thing about fall? College Football! ~ jb///

2:21 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

FRED--That's when we started to de-clutter in earnest, when our boys went off to college. Back from vacation. Nova Scotia was truly memorable.

NANKIN--I'm getting ready to load up some pictures now. Football is big in Texas, I hear.

LZ--Don't forget about fantasy football too :-)

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home