Wednesday, December 13, 2006

BUSTED at Christmas

A couple true holiday stories from many years ago . . .

Our two boys learned the art of sibling rivalry very young. They fought often even as pre-kindergartners. Though they could be best of buddies, they just as often were the worst of enemies. Once just before Christmas they were at eachother’s throats again, so I took Greg to the grocery store with me, leaving younger brother Scott with his mother. Maybe a little hiatus from eachother would cool them off.

As Greg and I rounded the corner into another aisle, who should we find sitting in a makeshift yuletide display but Santa Claus himself. When he spotted Greg, the jolly old elf waved him over to sit on his lap. Greg did. Santa asked him the usual questions: age, wish list, had he been a good boy this year. Then he asked Greg if he had any brothers. Greg replied that he had a younger brother.

“And how do you get along with your brother?” Santa asked.

BUSTED!!! By Santa himself. Greg didn’t answer. His face sank, his head bowed and his shoulders slumped. Lucky for Greg, if he would have burst into tears, it might not have set too well with Santa’s employer there at the store. So Mr. Claus quickly said something to the effect that he was sure Greg tried to get along with his brother and cheered Greg up with a candy cane.

I asked Greg recently if he remembered any of that. He said he didn’t, which isn’t surprising since it happened about 20 years ago. That’s too bad. Classic moment.

For my second little anecdote, we have to go back about 40 years or more when I was the eldest and thus leader of three boys and one girl in our family. As Christmas approached, my fear was that my younger siblings would wake up before I would, sneak by my bed which was near the upstairs landing and head downstairs to open presents whilst I slept.

So late Christmas Eve I rigged up a snare with a broom, string, and some pots and pans. I created a trip wire so that anybody trying to walk past me would set off a noisy alarm. Then I went to sleep.

In the middle of the night came a mighty racket. Pow, Clank, Rattle! BUSTED!!! But it wasn’t my brothers or sister. It was our toy Pomeranian who was ensnared, and then panicked, dragging the string with the pots and pans along the upstairs floor. Oh, well. Successful test, I guess.

Next morning I asked my mother if she heard the racket upstairs. “Yes,” she said in a scolding tone. She wasn’t too appreciative of my plan, brilliant though it was. Heck, and I always thought that having a son like me made life more interesting anyway.

16 Comments:

Blogger Lucy Stern said...

It's best to at least try our little experiments than not use our imaginations. I think it makes us a more well rounded person.....

8:39 PM  
Blogger Dust-bunny said...

Dave,

I'm actually laughing out loud. That is very creative and funny--the poor dog! I'm sure your mom got a kick out of telling that story eventually.

...Loved the Santa story, too! Very sweet.

Take good care,
Lisa

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A couple of good stories Dave, Christmas time brings out some wonderful memories.

5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful Christmas memories and a great post!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Nankin said...

Great post. I laughed out loud about the poor dog. I'm sure at the time he/she was petrified.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Sideways Chica said...

Loved the stories Big Dave. Our boys did something similar with a bucket of water one year...but they were trying to get Mr. Claus himself. Unfortunately all they got was me...and I wasn't too happy about it either. But even though I commiserate with the Pomeranian, I was proud of the ingenuity they showed...as I am sure your mum was with your little (and loud) plan.

Thanks for the great stories...and glad to have you back. ;)

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved your stories Dave! I laughed my rear off about your "trap"; you're right though, it was brilliant. :)

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That poor little dog. You must have scared him almost to death.

Having raised 2 sons, I can relate to the fights and love between them. Sometimes I guess it's best to just let them figure it out themselves.

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stories and memories, Dave. And also having raised two sons, I can relate. Guess it's only natural to have that sibling rivalry.
And weren't you ingenious? Great plan...despite the fact the pooch foiled it...lol

6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, there's a bunch of stuff missing here:

1. How does Greg get along with his brother now? (Doesn't remember is not an answer.)

2. Did your siblings let you get to the Xmas tree first? (Do not tell me the Pomeranian opened all the presents.)

6:42 PM  
Blogger Kacey said...

There's gotta be a firstborn in every family! Sounds like you did a bang-up job in your position of responsibility. All is fair in a family with three boys! Fun post, Dave.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Dave, Merry Christmas to you, Wendy, Dad and the Enforcer.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Great stories.

"Whilst" I slept? Do I detect a bit of the Queen's English?

I'll bet the boys are fast friends now.

6:14 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Big Dave ~ In spite of being BUSTED, I just wanted to ~ wish a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and your family! ~ jb///

7:34 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Dave, why don't you post your news letter for us?

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave,s Dad here.
To all the fine people who sent greetings to Dave,s Dad.
Have a Wesolych Swiat, and a
Szczesliwego Nowego Roku.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home