Monday, October 30, 2006

You Make The Call

Were we the jerks? Or not?

During our vacation, Wendy and I stayed at the Opryland Resort Hotel in Nashville. Humongous place with nearly 3,000 rooms. I wouldn’t call it a family friendly atmosphere. It was more for the high-powered corporate types whose companies would be picking up the average price of $239 a night for a room. (We got an AAA special rate ourselves)

I did some exploring and found a cavernous convention area, where appeared hundreds of business conventioneers. They seemed the pushy, salesman type to me.

While exploring, I also found a locked room with free internet connections for hotel guests. Just swipe your room key card and you’re in. Wendy and I dropped in one morning so I could check on my fantasy football team and my blogging community.

There was only one other gentleman there, who seemed part of the business crowd, very serious in his suit and tie in front of the computer screen.

Another man, also in shirt and tie, knocked at the door while we were in there. Obviously, he didn’t have his room key with him, or was not a guest at the hotel. Wendy indicated with hand gestures that he needed to use his room key. She said she had heard of sexual predators scouting for locations such as this to access the internet. So she wanted no part of letting him in without proper identification.

But the would-be intruder was persistent. He banged on the floor length glass doors even harder, several times. Then tried to collar a sympathetic passerby to let him in. Two women did not. The third did. So he was in. But he wasn’t happy.

"I hope you’re never broke down by the side of the road when I drive by," he said snottily. (Is snottily even a word? If not, it should be).

Wendy and I did not respond, but the other gentleman did.

"Don’t bitch at me. I didn’t make the rules," he replied.

"So that’s the way it is, eh," the intruder responded.

They went back and forth a few times before the intruder sat down, checked something quickly on the computer, then left with a "Cheerio. Have a nice day."

What do you think? Should we have let him in? I was even tempted to call hotel security on him for his nasty behavior. You make the call.

14 Comments:

Blogger Babette said...

"Congratulations on Saturday's Wolverine victory and on being #2," she said snottily.

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did the right thing! I don't blame you for thinking about calling security. That guy was/is a jerk and he sounds scary too!

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good move Dave and you too Wendy, you shouldn't be harrassed by morons like that ever.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Kacey said...

So, the woman who let him in has her room number associated with his use of the computer room.... what if he really were a predator? I like the other guy's attitude..."I don't make the rules." Call security. For the price of the room, you should have had free Internet access in your room. I travel with my laptop...bet you do, too.

5:36 PM  
Blogger amarkonmywall said...

That Bernadette can be a snot, yes? And I think she's wrong- I think we're # 1.5

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work for a very large company that shares the campus with another equally large company. We share a few common spaces with the other company. We have been told to never open a door (with a badge) for anyone we don't know.

I wouldn't have let him in.

5:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the idiot didn't have a pass that's his tough luck. I might of had to do a little enforcing on him.

6:32 AM  
Blogger molly said...

The idiot should just have gone and gotten his card, that would have been easy. He knows the rules. He's just probably one of those who wants what he wants when he wants it and doesn't care about anyone else. Don't question your motives, question his!

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well...as usual....I'm in the minority here.
Had I been in there WITH my husband, plus another person...absolutely I would have let him in. I seriously doubt guests sign that they'll "police" the computer room when they check in.
Had I been alone in that room...no way. I would have ignored him.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

How do you know he is a guest of the hotel? He could have been some stranger off the street. I'm with you Dave and Wendy.

Dave I sent you an email with some Shingles "home" remedies. Check it out and see if they help you. Good luck!

6:04 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

In a hotel, it was absolutely the right call. I would have done the same thing.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

"Dear John," they began snottily. "Even though MSU needs only two more games to qualify for a bowl, you're fired!"

6:00 PM  
Blogger Dust-bunny said...

I agree with Molly, but I also agree with Terri. My husband and I would've been the suckers to let him in, even though we may have thought he was an a**hole. We're just so used to dealing with that kind of self-centered personality where we live, we've become aware that the only way to keep them quiet is to give them what they want.

...much like an infant with a pacifier, only bigger.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Sideways Chica said...

You did the right thing. The term ass(hat) comes to mind.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home