Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Sick Day

I’m nursing a sore body today. Have been for going on two weeks now. It started the week I returned home from vacation. A burning pain commenced around my back and mid-section that I attributed to muscle strain.

But this affliction did not respond to my usual remedies. Heat, bed rest, muscle salves, motrin . . . I was still hurting, enough to keep me walking around in the middle of the night.

Only after a few days did the REAL culprit become evident when I developed boils around my midriff. Herpes Zoster. Shingles! That’s a painful viral disease that erupts later in life to attack those who suffered Chicken Pox as a child. It can last weeks, even months.

My doc prescribed four medications, three of them for pain. But the aspirin I have been taking seems to work better. At least, I have my friends and family to comfort me and nurse me through all this. Right?

Well, here is what my buddy Bob wrote to me: “My brother went through the same thing a couple of years ago and it literally brought him to his knees. He was either in intense pain or drugged out of his mind. Neither was pleasant. I understand shingles can be quite painful. Horror story here, my grandmother got them on her face about a year before she passed, back in the 70s, and they covered her eye which ultimately had to be sewn shut. She ended up dying (of other things) before they had a chance to reopen it.”

Thanks, Bob.

Well, at least I have my better half to take care of me. Right? The day I made my appointment to see the doctor for this, my wife lamented that she needed a day off work too.

“Why don’t you take off from work tomorrow. I could use a little TLC,” I replied

“Ah, forget it. I’ll just go to work.”

And now, today, I read that a government panel has approved an anti-shingles vaccine for use! But only for older Americans over 60!!

Rodney Dangerfield and I could have been twins.

19 Comments:

Blogger Sideways Chica said...

You and Rodney? I wondered why he was always twisting and fidgeting. Now I know - Herpes Zoster!

Ciao Big Dave...I hope you feel better and get a little respect soon. ;)

6:04 PM  
Blogger Kacey said...

After reading this --- I'm going to get that Herpes Zoster shot! I have taken care of a lot of people in the hospital with it and some had it on their face and scalp....not a pretty sight. I am so sorry that you a sick. This is awful.
Thanks for the info you sent to me. My grandson is heading there tomorrow for face to face meetings with admissions people. He has his ducks in a row and his essays done.... thank goodness,for Gov. Taft is a real limping, lame duck!

9:43 PM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Ouch! I've had shingles a couple of times. ARound the midsection is the most painful in my experience. Take care and get lots of rest. It's not like you can do anything else!! This shall pass!

4:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dave, so I guess you're not doin' a lot of hiking at the moment??

4:16 AM  
Blogger Trucker Bob said...

Shingles. OUCH! I've known a few guys that had that condition, and hope you can control it.

I agree with your comment Thanks, Bob.Not what you needed to hear.

Hang in bud.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am definitely going to get a vaccination since I am a decade over the 60 age limit. You sound like you have been through a real ordeal and believe me you have my sympathy. Take care my friend.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

Reducing stress is believed to reduce the incidence and lessen the severity of shingles. There is a classical regimen of meditation and exercise that can help you, Dave. But, I'm not sure that yoga can ease the pain of having your Tigers beaten by my CARDS.

I'm certain that Wendy is a good nurse. That can only mean that you are a bad patient. Regardless, please get well soon.

5:55 PM  
Blogger MSU gal said...

Hope you feel better soon!

4:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bummer!

Not comfortable. I had them twice at the end of my senior year, and they were internal - from my mouth to my stomach. I was very thin, and really couldn't afford the weight loss that went with it.

But both bouts only lasted less than 2 weeks.

I hope you don't have a long seige with this discomfort.

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh you poor man!! I hope it doesn't last long and you feel better soon. Try Aleve that stuff is amazing! Of course ask the doctor first!

10:41 AM  
Blogger amarkonmywall said...

Hey, Dave, I thought of you more than once in the stands. Yes, it was grim but who knows? We DID do it once before so have faith, at least for one more game.

I am really really sorry to hear you have shingles. With friends like Bob you don't really need enemies but you already know he's right about the misery factor. So my question is, can you still get immunized once these clear up? Hope so and hope you're on the mend soon. Feel better.

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grr. I thought my comment posted, but I guess Blogger ate it so I'll try again. Poor Dave, I hope you get better soon!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Margie said...

now you know how moms feel when they are sick... never anyone to take care of them!

I hope you feel better, and get to keep your eyes open!!

4:19 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Well, what does Dad and the Enforcer say about all of this? TF had shingels a couple of years ago and the doctor gave him something for the pain. It didn't work so I looked up some remedies in my "Home Remedies" book and he followed that. It helped. I get my book out and send you an email with what I find. Good luck, I know you are in pain.......

1:49 PM  
Blogger molly said...

Shingles can be awful, but I hope you have a mild case and get through it with little pain or discomfort.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Dust-bunny said...

Dave,

I got shingles when I was only 15, after being exposed to the chicken pox virus. I had the worst case of chicken pox you ever saw when I was 8. Go figure...you would think I would have been immune. Hope it's out of my system for good now, because I'm not getting any younger!

You feel better and take good care of yourself. And look up some natural remedies...some of them actually help to fix what's wrong, not just treat the symptoms of it!

Take good care,
Lisa

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BIg bummer. I have heard of a few people getting shingles and they ARE painful. I hope you get some of the sympathy that you deserve... awwwww.... poor little Big Dave.... awwww..... Hang in there buddy.

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch!! As I recall, I didn't have the pox very bad. I hope this save's me from them.

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having witnessed Shingles first-hand with many of my patients, my sincere sympathy goes out to you. It's obvious the pain is off the pain scale. I also had Chicken Pox and as an adult, I'm always nervous about Shingles...mainly because it can linger for quite awhile.
Wishing you all the best, Dave. Keep us posted...maybe you'll be fortunate and have a speedy recovery with it.

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home