Saturday, October 07, 2006

Nemo's Shocking Demise


[I’m reliving some highlights of last week’s vacation (sigh) for the next few blogs.]

While in Nashville to see the Grand Ole Opry, my wife and I visited the Opry Mills mall next door to find a place for dinner. Picked the Aquarium. They advertise “eat under the sea.” Sounded like fun.

Of course, what they do is paint the restaurant interior to resemble the ocean and plant a huge saltwater aquarium in the middle of it. It was still cool. They had a large variety of fish swimming about, including sharks and rays.

Our waiter invited questions and said he would do his best to answer. “If I don’t know the answer, I’ll make something up,” he said.

Found out that there were three varieties of shark inside the tank: a large nurse shark that Wendy claimed laid on a rock and stared at her, five grim-faced black-tipped sharks that swam with a purpose, and a reef shark that hung out near the bottom. Lots of other fish too, big ones swimming in schools.

So I asked the obvious question. “Do the fish ever eat each other?”

It happens occasionally, I was told. “A couple weeks ago, one of the big yellow fish there apparently bumped one of the sharks, or said something bad about his mama. Next thing, this shark tore into the fish.”

Before you could say “feeding frenzy”, all five sharks attacked the doomed fish, leaving nothing but its head within five minutes. Now all of this was witnessed by the lunchtime crowd which, being a Saturday, included a lot of impressionable youngsters. Kids whose idea of what goes on under the sea comes from Disney cartoons. They were very distraught, the waiter said.

So the restaurant staff had to delicately answer some questions from the horrified children which included, “Was it Nemo?” and “Are you going to get another one?” Never mind that there were plenty of other healthy fish merrily (well maybe not merrily now) swimming about.

I can imagine the conversation some mothers had trying to get their charges to finish their fish sticks after that.

“No, I’m not going to eat Nemo like those sharks did.”

“OK, you don’t have to eat Nemo. Just finish your hush puppies.”

“Hush puppies??!!! Nooooooooooooooo!!!!”

15 Comments:

Blogger MSU gal said...

Too funny!

My six-year-old is convinced fish sticks are strictly made out of tuna. Although, it didn't seem to bother her when we walked up to the cousin's house and he was disassembling a deer in the garage a couple of days ago. (yes bowhunting season has begun). It bothered me a lot more than my little one, who was fascinated!

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, you don't want to say anything bad about a sharks mamma Dave!!!

6:02 PM  
Blogger Babette said...

There is something fishy about this post, Dave. Or, maybe I'm just feeling disoriented.

http://studentdoctor.com.msu.edu/2009/sparty5.gif

Just wait until next year!!!

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like an interesting place to eat. I hope your vacation was terrific. Don has been there, but I haven't. One of these days.....

Cas

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That place does sound interesting; however,if I went, with the way my luck runs, the sharks would have a feeding frenzy in front of my toddler.

Hope ya had a great time!

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a nice vacation, Dave. I can't wait to hear all the stories!

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Dave. Didn't sound like appetizing lunch time entertainment, but quite a unique restaurant.
We left Cedar Key this morning and we're in St. George SC for tonight. Tomorrow we have the final 5 hr drive to Floyd.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Sounds like you and Wendy had a fun time at the restraunt. I'm glad that you did not have to witness the "feeding frenzy".....Glad your are back, we missed you.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Well, loving sharks, it's something I would have thoroughly enjoyed, and my little impish sons would have, too. But I could see many of the smaller more squeamish children and their mothers having a bit of a "Disney panic".

Welcome back, Dave. Hope you enjoyed the Ole Nash - I'll have to keep it in mind to visit there next time I'm in the area.

4:16 AM  
Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

So...how was the food? And how was the rest of the trip?

6:04 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

I first Time I ate Hush Puppies, I was at all you can eat Crab place and I got filled up on the Hush Puppies at about 10cents a lb. as opposed to the Crab at about $20 a lb. SMART? (hardly)! ~ jb///

4:08 PM  
Blogger Kacey said...

Funny post! I really appreciate your retelling of the undersea lunch --- because humor is your forte.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Motherkitty said...

Any place connected with Opry whatever is going to cost an arm and a leg. I've stayed at the Opryland Hotel on several occasions and found that the rooms were only so-so for the money. And the food was highly overrated. We live just two hours from Nashville and have been there on many occasions. The Opry Mills shopping mall used to be the Opryland amusement park and we used to take our children there many years ago. Too bad they got rid of it.

How did you like the Grand Old Opry?

BTW, I'm mrsgreenthumb's sister.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Motherkitty said...

I'm also a friend of Bornfool.

8:14 PM  
Blogger amarkonmywall said...

She's funny when she's bitter, yes?

I always feel a little weird eating fish in places that have fish tanks. I even feel that way about lobsters. Sigh. On the other hand I give the zebra finches hard boiled eggs when they are laying eggs to keep them well nourished and they love them. I guess it's all about the food chain.

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home