Thursday, April 06, 2006

I'm Going That-A-Way

[Note: I first want to wish my brother and frequent anonymous commenter Gary a happy 51st birthday today (April 7). He's a grandfather, as well as a GM employee and competitive basketball player, though he's thinking of retiring (from both.) Wishing him a happy birthday here is less expensive than sending him a card and since he's cheap like me, he'll appreciate my frugality.

Also wanted to give an update to my "Bracket Mania" post. Despite foolishly picking cross-state rival Michigan State to go all the way to the NCAA basketball finals (they lost in the first round), wife Wendy beat all seven of us T. menfolk handily in our own little hoops bracket challenge group. She correctly picked both UCLA and Florida to make the Final Four. So congrats to her as well.]

Maybe it's just my paranoia acting up again, but it seems lately that police everywhere have been on a ticket-writing spree. I got my first speeding ticket ever last fall. Fellow blogger WordWhiz wrote about getting a ticket recently. My son was ticketed in Canada for not wearing a seatbelt in the backseat, which is not illegal in Michigan. I hear horror stories about those traveling in Mexico getting stopped in Mexico where rental cars are often targeted by the local policia for the most innocuous of violations.

Anyhoo, my wife and I were at a local nightspot in Ypsilanti which was hosting a barbecue and beer-tasting. There are a number of micro-breweries along the I-94 corridor here, including the well known Bell's Brewery. We didn't sample any Bells, but tried several others, Jolly Pumpkin Artesian Ale being my favorite. When we walked out, I felt plenty sober enough to drive, but since I've heard of police cars waiting near bars for customers to drive off, I kept my eyes open. It would be my luck to be taking a sobriety test as a co-worker happened to drive by.

When we arrived at the parking lot, there were only a few cars sitting there in the glare of a nearby streetlight. Two of them were police cars, the occupants of which were out chatting with eachother. My car was directly across from them.

"Be careful," my wife warned as I started our car. Absolutely! I certainly wasn't going to do anything to attract any attention. I let the car warm up a second, put it into gear, and slowly rolled towards the policemen and their vehicles. Then I put my directional signal on so that everybody knew exactly which way I was turning once I left my parking space.

"That was too careful," Wendy said. It was. Besides the police, there was not another soul nor car in sight. Somebody putting on his blinker while leaving a parking spot would certainly look odd. Luckily for me, the officers just kept merrily chatting on.

10 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Here where I live, has to be a major boo-boo to get stopped.

4:55 AM  
Blogger bornfool said...

Maybe they figured if you're bold enough to drive away right in front of them, you must be sober. Or they hadn't finished eating their donuts yet.

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank's for the b-day greeting.yes I am thinking of retiring from gm but my b-ball injuries are starting to heal up so I might have another year in me.I prefer the word frugal, it must run in the family.I bet wendy picked UCLA and Florida becouse she like's there color's.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Leaving a brewery while the occupants of two police cars chatted a few feet from you must have tested your nerve Dave.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

It's not paranoia if they really *are* out to get you! It's early in the month though, they won't worry about their revenue collection quotas until later...

7:27 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

The police in my town (we have less than 700 living in town) pretty much leave the residents alone unless they do something major. But speeding on the two lane highway going through town, especially for out of towners is a big no no.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A true case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.
How is it that cop cars can raise such insecurities in even the toughest of us?
Glad it all worked out just fine for you.

5:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never had a ticket. Knock on wood. If I were to get a ticket it probably would be for going too slow. That is embarassing to say, but true. I am a day dreamer and find myself driving slower and slower as I concentrate more on the day dream than on the speedomoter,

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been two years since I got my very first ticket ever. I'm still paranoid.

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your better half continues to amaze!

Barely tipsy in Ypsi? My mum is an alumna of EMU, by the way.

"...foolishly picking cross-state rival Michigan State..."??!! Them's fightin' words, Dave!

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home