Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Yea Fellow Bloggers!

First, a shout-out and happy birthday to my son Scott, who turns 26 today. He is living and working in our nation’s capital right now so we can’t celebrate with him in person. This is the first time we haven’t been able to personally celebrate a birthday with either of our sons. Sign of changing times.

Second, a follow-up to a “ramblin’, gamblin’” blog I did about a month ago. That involved a reservation I made with Days Inn, when they promised a partial refund after an on-line reservation snafu. They overcharged me on a reservation I made on-line with them. They would only promise me a refund if I stayed, instead of giving me a discounted price. I could have canceled the whole schmiel and gone somewhere else, but decided to take a chance on their honesty.

Last Friday I got a check for $15.43 from Days Inn. Boo-yeah. So then I wrote a not-so-favorable review of our Days Inn experience and posted it with Tripadvisor for which they rewarded me with a free photobook. Double boo-yeah. That’ll teach Days Inn to mess with me.

I don’t know though. I hope my “don’t mess with me” attitude is not making me curmudgeonly in my older years. My mother thinks my dad should name his fantasy football team “the curmudgeons” this year. Maybe my male lineage is destined to become curmudgeons as we “mature.”

Wonder if that’s the reason my grandson is wary of me. He is! Check out the picture I took. Does that look like a “I’m happy to see my grandpa” look?



I don’t think so. Grandma gets along with Grant just fine. About me, he’s not so sure. I came home the other day to find Wendy babysitting the little guy. He was napping in his playpen, unaware of my presence. I played with his dog Simon a bit, then in passing the playpen saw that Grant was now awake. He was on his back, looking at me wide-eyed with an expression that said, “Oh my god, they left me with this guy??!”

Then he started to cry, so I had to quickly pass him to grandma to get him settled down. Eventually, he came around a little. When his mom and dad returned, they showed us how he could flip himself over, back to front, by himself. So I’d clap and say, “Yea, Grant.” He liked that. Even flashed me a little smile.

Guess maybe then I should be a little more positive and supportive in my attitude.

“Yea, Days’ Inn . . . “




9 Comments:

Blogger Lynilu said...

Curmudgeons. Yep, I feel that was sometimes, too. i wonder if my responses are justified or not, remembering when my dad complained about being treated differently/badly because of his age. But lately, I've noticed the invisibility of my age, and it bugs me. Oh heck, I guess I've earned the right to be curmudgeonly. ;D

BTW, I understand Grant's reluctance. You scare me a little, too.

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bdd here, Dave I think I'll change my team name to just "Cur", no wait I looked it up it means jerk, how about "The jolly old fella"now that sounds good

6:18 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

rest assured, he loves you Dave. Happy birthday to your son! ours turned 27 at the end of April. Our daughter 29 beginning of May. Funny, they call me a lot.

Try sneezing at Grant-for some reason our two dividends thought that was hilarious

11:28 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

LYNILU--Invisibility? That's something I've yet to experience. Sometimes I think it would be nice to be invisible and just a fly on the wall.

DAD--Jolly old fella? Yeah, I guess so, though I don't know that many people who have described you like that. Wasn't cur ma's idea? I always thought that referred to a dog.

CARINE--Sneezing, eh. Well, I have allergies and sneeze enough. It's worth a try.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Don't worry Dave your grandson will warm to you once he discovers that gets him a treat now and then.

3:08 AM  
Blogger CiCi said...

Hope your son had a great birthday. Do you and he have google email? If you have gmail, you can do free video chat.

That is a great picture of Grant. Yes he does indeed look at you like you are from another planet or something. Funny.

7:55 AM  
Blogger CAROLDEE said...

Daggum..I write reviews there too. None of mine ever resulted in getting something free however. Glad you spoke your mind and got a rebate on what they owed you. Recent travels made me leary of any "INN" type places..I hate amking reservations anymore without seeing the place first. Have a great weekend!!

7:20 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

PETER--Right now, besides his mother's milk, the only treat he gets are green beans. Sweets will be a while.

TECHNOBABE--Ironically, Scott tried to set us up on g-mail video chat. Alas, I don't have a camera on my laptop.

CAROLDEE--Oh, oh. We're planning a big two-week trip in just another two weeks and one of the places I planned on staying was Inn on the Harbor.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ I hope your son had a great birthday. It is different when
we don't get to share birthdays, but
they all grow up and away and they move so far sometimes.
Maybe if Grant is taught to clap his hands, then you and he could become
closer when you and he clap hands.
He is a cute kid, but not happy to see you. He will be OK before too long, and you won't have to wait until he is three. Take care, my friend, Regards, Merle.

5:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home