Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Baby Rattle 2.0

My boss forwarded me an e-mail that contained the latest innovation he has seen. It was a voicemail attachment. Click on it and the attachment would tell you what was on its mind.

That was new to him. New to me too. I had seen all kinds of e-mail attachments in the past, but one with a disembodied voice? Nope. Why not just use the telephone to call and say what was on your mind? Not high tech enough, I guess.

I'm not big on high tech. Even as our software packages are in double digit generations, e.g. Excel 10.0, I'm still more than happy with the original. Same with my blog. You'll actually never see Big Dave's Blog 2.0. What you see here is probably what you'll get five years down the road.

Anyway, I have a funny little story to relate about our high tech world of today.

Wendy owns our little family's one and only cell phone. I probably could figure out how to use it if my life depended on it, but best not to count on it. Anyway, the phone which is several years old died last week.

During a weekend shopping trip we bought another, which Wendy spent about an hour programing (a half hour on the phone with the service representative) so that she could still use her old phone number. FINALLY, she got it working. Now we just had to wait for someone to call to see if it works.

Fast foward to another shopping trip to a new baby store I wanted to check out. I thought our grandson Grant needed a new rattle since he's at the grasping and grabbing stage. Checked out a bunch at Buy, Buy, Baby (clever, right?) and I settled on one because it resembled a piano and even played a repertoire of classical tunes when squeezed. Talk about high tech!

On the way out of the store we heard a ding-diggety-dong. Wendy's new phone! She quickly fumbled through her purse, brought out the phone, flipped it open and held it to her ear.

"Hello?" she said. No response. My wife quickly deduced what had happened. "It's your toy," she said, referring to the rattle we had just bought. She must have squeezed the package in her arm and activated it.

I had to chuckle over it. But you know some day down the road there's going to be a baby toy that doubles as a cell phone. If they don't make one already.

10 Comments:

Blogger CiCi said...

The new rattle sounds cute. I like the story of the two new sounds and hearing one thinking it was the new cell. We too have one cell phone. When we moved here we still had two cell phones but we are together most of the time. So now when hubby rides his bike by himself he takes the phone. Have you given the new rattle to Grant yet?

4:40 AM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

The rattle sounds cute! I hope it holds up and gives Grant a jump start on his musical taste development!

I love my technology. Well, I love it when it works! When it doesn't is a different story altogether!!

Like this morning, for example, I'm still in bed, checking blogs and Facebook, reading email, and in a minute I'm going to read my [famous] comics! See, it's not all bad! If I didn't have the technology, I wouldn't have my funnies, as the local newspaper is a semi-weekly with 4 pathetic comic strips.

We need balance in the world, so it's good you're around on the other end of the continuum, Dave, to offset me!


Ahhh, techno-life is good!

5:48 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

TECHNOBABE--Haven't seen Grant yet to have him try out the new rattle. Your hubby is smart. My bike broke down last week and I had to walk about a mile home. Wendy says I should take her cell phone next time.

LYNILU--I probably am addicted to my home computer. Always checking something on it--the news, Facebook, blogs, etc. But I think the modem is dying because I constantly have to turn it off and on to kick-start it into action.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

Probably because they see adults using them so much old cell phones are the favorite toys of all the children I've been around lately.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Carine-what's cooking? said...

LOL, we all have cell phones here Dave, but I have the "old type". It's pretty new in reality. 85% made of recyclable material, has a speaker on it for my interviews, I can store my photos (I've just learned how to show them) and it takes messages. I don't text, I don't do the internet and I don't want fancy ring tones. Oh-I learned how to set the alarm. Now I haven't figured out how to add phone numbers-so I suppose that should be next. I can find the ones I've already got pretty well.
and if I need some help-I'll call Dylan and Aidan and they can help out their tech-challenged grandma.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

AHA!!!!! Confession from the closeted cyber-geek!!!!

5:01 PM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

JAN--Never thought of that. We could have saved Wendy's old phone for Grant. Right now he'd just chew on it though.

CARINE--I'm waiting for Grant to get to the age where he can help me to set up a home entertainment system. Maybe even watch movies by cabling in my computer to the TV. He's just five months old now. I'll give him a couple more years.

LYNILU--Yeah, but at least at work I stay on task. Every time I turn around my colleague is on Facebook, something our supervisor has noticed as well.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Cyndi and Stumpy said...

Hi Big Dave, I've just finished watching your "Simon and Granpa's Daycare" video over at Jan's "Poodle and Dog" blog.

I was very impressed with both you and Simon's search techniques. I never met a man who knew to look under and in things!

Loved the video!

Happy, Waggin' Tails, FUREVER!
Stumpy and me

9:11 AM  
Blogger Big Dave T said...

CYNDI AND STUMPY--When it comes to finding babies, we leave no stone unturned. Of course it was all just silliness. Pity poor Grant if I continue to use him as a film subject.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ I hope that Grant likes his new rattle. It sounds good and how funny that you both thought it was Wendy's new cell phone. I guess that has been sorted by now.
I agree with you that walking should not be taken for granted. I am going OK but still a bit wobbly.
I liked Andy Rooney's views about older women. "She won't wake you up to ask what you're thinking." "She doesn't care." I think clothes pins are the same as clothes pegs. The joke was her HUGE knickers took 12 clothes pegs.
Take care my friend, Regards, Merle

3:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home